Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transformers

3 posters

Go down

Transformers Empty Transformers

Post by Hourglass Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Anyone ever read the Transformer comics before Marvel UK went bust? How do you feel they differ with the current run in the USA?
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Transformers Empty Re: Transformers

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Hourglass wrote:Anyone ever read the Transformer comics before Marvel UK went bust? How do you feel they differ with the current run in the USA?
Primarily, they differ by being an awful lot better, I think. The British Transformers comic started off running American material with some British strips as space fillers, but British Marvel writer Simon Furman eventually became the definite Transformers creator on both sides of the pond. I don't think the post-Marvel Transformers strips have really scaled the same heights, though.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:04 pm

I really liked the little touches of British culture in the early ones. And the name droping of UNIT and the Doctor.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Hourglass wrote:I really liked the little touches of British culture in the early ones. And the name dropping of UNIT and the Doctor.
The good Doctor and his associates found their way into a lot of Marvel titles in the eighties. Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart and Sgt Benton even turned up in an issue of The Uncanny X-Men!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Oh I didn't know that Very Happy
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Hourglass wrote:Oh I didn't know that Very Happy
Chris Claremont is apparently a big Doctor Who fan. A short time later, Captain Britain encountered the Weird Happenings Organisation (WHO), a secret military group headed up by Brigadier Alysande Stuart and her twin brother and scientific advisor Alistaire. And the Doctor is allegedly a friend of the Fantastic Four's Reed Richards.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:00 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Chris Claremont is apparently a big Doctor Who fan. A short time later, Captain Britain encountered the Weird Happenings Organisation (WHO), a secret military group headed up by Brigadier Alysande Stuart and her twin brother and scientific advisor Alistaire. And the Doctor is allegedly a friend of the Fantastic Four's Reed Richards.

I wonder if they used him for the comics because he's a british icon OR because of the popularity with Doctor who in a comic format.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Hourglass wrote:
tony ingram wrote:

I wonder if they used him for the comics because he's a british icon OR because of the popularity with Doctor who in a comic format.
I think a number of the Marvel creators are fans. And remember, Doctor Who and Marvel comics were pretty much inseperable in Britain in the early eighties thanks to the various characters who migrated from the Who universe to the Marvel Universe in the strips: Abslom Daak, the Special Executive and the Freefall Warriors were all high profile Marvel UK characters who started life in DWM, and robotic bounty hunter Death's Head turned up in a Doctor who strip after debuting in Transformers, and then became part of the Marvel Universe proper (at one point, the Doctor gives him a lift to earth and drops him off on the Fantastic Four's roof).
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Oh how I wish we could return to those days. Cant see the BBC allowing that now. Cant see the Transformer comics allowing it either to be honest. Intellectual property laws would make it a nightmare probably.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Hourglass wrote:Oh how I wish we could return to those days. Cant see the BBC allowing that now. Cant see the Transformer comics allowing it either to be honest. Intellectual property laws would make it a nightmare probably.
The Doctor is still referenced in several entries in the most recent editions of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. But no, I doubt they'd get away with a full on crossover these days.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri May 21, 2010 10:10 am

I think I'd lost touch with the transformers by the time of the Beast Wars...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Fri May 21, 2010 10:22 am

I gave up on it after the awful animated version that came out after the movie. The Japanese series Transformers Headmasters is the best in my opinion. Sadly the sub/dub version in the UK is laughably bad.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Fri May 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Transformers Headmasters? Do they creep up to the doors of the dorm rooms at Transformer school and then burst in to see if they can catch the pupils having a dorm feed?

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down