The Dandy Dies (Again)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Dandy Dies (Again)

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 pm

The Dandy, Britain's longest running comic, finally ceased publication last year (it's 75th anniversary) after years of inexorably falling sales. It was announced at the time that it would continue in a digital format, and indeed it did, but it's now been confirmed that after thirteen digital issues, the Dandy is finally dead. Last week's edition was the last, according to contributor Wilbur Dawbarn yesterday, though it appears the Dandy Annual will continue to appear.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dandy Dies (Again)

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:03 am

tony ingram wrote:The Dandy, Britain's longest running comic, finally ceased publication last year (it's 75th anniversary) after years of inexorably falling sales. It was announced at the time that it would continue in a digital format, and indeed it did, but it's now been confirmed that after thirteen digital issues, the Dandy is finally dead. Last week's edition was the last, according to contributor Wilbur Dawbarn yesterday, though it appears the Dandy Annual will continue to appear.  
Will there be an annual this year, or is now dead "dead"?

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dandy Dies (Again)

Post by tony ingram on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:15 am

It's already been confirmed that there will indeed be a Dandy Annual this year. There's actually a long standing tradition in the UK of annuals continuin g to be published years after their parent titles folded: the SF weekly Star-Lord, for instance, only lasted 22 weeks, but Star-Lord Annuals were published for the next three years!

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dandy Dies (Again)

Post by Lucy McGough on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:22 am

'Cos people will buy something once a year that they can't be bothered buying once a week.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dandy Dies (Again)

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:'Cos people will buy something once a year that they can't be bothered buying once a week.
But coming out once a year makes them seem more "special", especially if that once-a-year publishing ties in with certain times of the year (like Christmas or during summer vacation).

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dandy Dies (Again)

Post by tony ingram on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:41 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:'Cos people will buy something once a year that they can't be bothered buying once a week.
But coming out once a year makes them seem more "special", especially if that once-a-year publishing ties in with certain times of the year (like Christmas or during summer vacation).
It used to be traditional for kids to get at least one Annual for Christmas. I'm not sure if it still is, though.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dandy Dies (Again)

Post by Lucy McGough on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:20 pm

I don't think it is nowadays.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: The Dandy Dies (Again)

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:27 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum