The X-Men Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The X-Men Thread

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:28 am

Just because we have an Avengers thread, here's one for discussion of all things X-Men (assuming, of course, that we have any X-fans amongst us). I was raised on the original X-Men in various reprints, so I still have a soft spot for them (particularly the Steranko and Neal Adams issues) but I did eventually get into the "new" tteam in the late 70s. Still can't beat the originals, though...



avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5878
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:55 pm

I use to love the X-Men.

Can't stomach them any longer.
avatar
MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm

MajorHoy wrote:I use to love the X-Men.  

Can't stomach them any longer.
Since when? What put you off?
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5878
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:50 pm

MajorHoy wrote:I use to love the X-Men.  

Can't stomach them any longer.

Try omeprazole.
avatar
Lucy McGough

Posts : 2241
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 29
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:04 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:I use to love the X-Men.  

Can't stomach them any longer.
Since when? What put you off?
I sort of lost some interest in the late 1980s / early 1990s when Claremont got carried away with alternate future storylines, then gave up on comic books entirely in 1995.

Tried to look into some X-Men again around 2010 and read some random issues of the Second Coming stuff . . . was totally turned off by the end of X-Men: Second Coming #2 when Scott and Emma Frost (ewwww) became orgasmic at the end over malformed mutant babies being born again in the world. (C'mon, let's face it: what percent of mutant kids are going to be horribly deformed and have god-awful lives?)

avatar
MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:11 pm

I must admit, I never really understood when they went from caring about mutants to actually wanting more mutants to be born. It happened around the time of Morrison's run, I think, when suddenly there were more mutants than ever before, with more extreme mutations than ever before, and suddenly they were referring to themselves as a separate species. Until then, it had been all about helping the persecuted mutant minority to integrate. A subtle but significant shift.
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5878
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:04 pm

MajorHoy wrote:(C'mon, let's face it: what percent of mutant kids are going to be horribly deformed and have god-awful lives?)

Well, I dunno about 'horribly deformed' or 'god-awful lives', but Down's syndrome is a mutation. It means you're born with an extra chromosome.
avatar
Lucy McGough

Posts : 2241
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 29
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:(C'mon, let's face it: what percent of mutant kids are going to be horribly deformed and have god-awful lives?)
Well, I dunno about 'horribly deformed' or 'god-awful lives', but Down's syndrome is a mutation. It means you're born with an extra chromosome.
But I would guess Cerebro (or whatever thy use these days) would monitor for mutations that would involve unique abilities / powers, not just minor quirks, oddities, or other malformations that would also be classified as "mutations".
avatar
MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:44 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:(C'mon, let's face it: what percent of mutant kids are going to be horribly deformed and have god-awful lives?)
Well, I dunno about 'horribly deformed' or 'god-awful lives', but Down's syndrome is a mutation. It means you're born with an extra chromosome.
But I would guess Cerebro (or whatever thy use these days) would monitor for mutations that would involve unique abilities / powers, not just minor quirks, oddities, or other malformations that would also be classified as "mutations".
Tell that to Grant Morrison. Some of his additions to the Xavier School were just plain deformed.
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5878
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:13 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:(C'mon, let's face it: what percent of mutant kids are going to be horribly deformed and have god-awful lives?)
Well, I dunno about 'horribly deformed' or 'god-awful lives', but Down's syndrome is a mutation. It means you're born with an extra chromosome.
But I would guess Cerebro (or whatever thy use these days) would monitor for mutations that would involve unique abilities / powers, not just minor quirks, oddities, or other malformations that would also be classified as "mutations".
Tell that to Grant Morrison. Some of his additions to the Xavier School were just plain deformed.
But they do anything unique with their deformities, like play God Save the Queen on their big toe or something?
avatar
MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:21 pm

Not noticeably, no.
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5878
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:08 pm

Yeah, that Beak chap was messed up.
avatar
Lucy McGough

Posts : 2241
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 29
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:56 am

It's notable, I think, that with the exception of Beak (who joined the Exiles) and the Stepford Cuckoos, virtually every significant character Morrison added to the cast has not been seen since his run ended. Marvel seem to have quietly erased much of it from X-Men history, or at least to be ignoring it.
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5878
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by Lucy McGough on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:51 am

Gone the way of Peter Parker's marriage, has it?
avatar
Lucy McGough

Posts : 2241
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 29
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:01 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Gone the way of Peter Parker's marriage, has it?
Not quite, but nearly. At least with the marriage, though, there was an actual reason given in-story...
  Twisted Evil 
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5878
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by Lucy McGough on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:02 am

"And then all the mutants fell down a big hole and were never heard from again."
avatar
Lucy McGough

Posts : 2241
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 29
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by MajorHoy on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:41 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Gone the way of Peter Parker's marriage, has it?
Not quite, but nearly. At least with the marriage, though, there was an actual reason given in-story...
  Twisted Evil 
Did Morrison introduce them before or after Wanda used her Hex powers to thin out the mutant herd?
avatar
MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:42 pm

Well before.
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5878
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by tony ingram on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 am

OK, so Cyclops is apparently dead in the current X-titles. What I'm rather confused about is...where and when did he die? Anyone?
avatar
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5878
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: The X-Men Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum