Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite

4 posters

Go down

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite Empty Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite

Post by MajorHoy Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm

After a couple of limited series written by Warren Ellis (PROJECT SUPERPOWERS BLACKCROSS) and Ryan Browne (PROJECT SUPERPOWERS HERO KILLERS) that seemed to . . . stray from the original storyline, writer Rob Williams is now taking a crack at this.

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite Vol_3_10
PROJECT SUPERPOWERS VOL. 3 #0
Superpowers #0: Project Superpowers is Back! Written by Rob (Suicide Squad) Williams, illustrated by Sergio (Swords of Sorrow, Superman) Davila, and featuring an all-star roster of cover artists, this introductory priced issue is the perfect starting point for the most ambitious superhero story of 2018.
An all-new threat faces the Earth, while the team faces turmoil from within and must overcome all obstacles to prove their worth and value in a world that desperately needs its heroes. The Death Defying Devil, Samson, Black Terror, Masquerade, Green Lama, Scarab and more are all here as the adventure begins again.
Featuring an introductory story leading right into the all-new #1 next month, Project Superpowers #0 is action-packed and introductory priced. Includes bonus materials and 16 pages of original story.
Writer: Rob Williams
Art: Sergio Davila
U.S. Cover Price: $0.10
ON SALE DATE: 7/4/2018
https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513026872300011

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS VOL. 3 #1
The Project Superpowers heroes came from the past, now they have to prove their relevance in the modern world. A 21st Century threat is coming for us all. What dread secrets does The Death Defying Devil hold? The Lighthouse will rise and the Spirit of The American Flag will take on a new host. But will it be enough? Can superheroes still save the day?
U.S. Cover Price: $3.99
ON SALE DATE: 8/1/2018
https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513026872301011
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite Empty Re: Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 27, 2018 2:19 pm

Always good to see Rob Williams getting work. Although he has some annoying tics, he's a decent writer.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite Empty Re: Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite

Post by MajorHoy Sun May 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Always good to see Rob Williams getting work. Although he has some annoying tics, he's a decent writer.
I don't recall reading much of his work, but after the Warren Ellis "Blackcross" fiasco, I'm hoping Dynamite gets this franchise back on the right track.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 27, 2018 4:33 pm

Might have to take a look, I remember quite enjoying the original.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun May 27, 2018 6:15 pm

tony ingram wrote:Might have to take a look, I remember quite enjoying the original.
And since DC isn't doing much yet with their Golden Age heroes, . . . Sleep
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon May 28, 2018 6:17 pm

MajorHoy wrote:And since DC isn't doing much yet with their Golden Age heroes, . . . Sleep

You young people — always so impatient! Razz
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue May 29, 2018 12:50 am

Lucy McGough wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:And since DC isn't doing much yet with their Golden Age heroes, . . . Sleep
You young people — always so impatient! Razz
And not very trusting these days, either!
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 29, 2018 10:02 pm

tony ingram wrote:Might have to take a look, I remember quite enjoying the original.

About the same here, which is odd given how closely I usually follow Ellis. I'll have to look.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 30, 2018 5:40 am

Mbast1 wrote:

About the same here, which is odd given how closely I usually follow Ellis. I'll have to look.
It's odd that Dynamite have done so little with the concept, really. Or with superheroes in general, for that matter. They do tend to be the better sellers.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 pm

tony ingram wrote:It's odd that Dynamite have done so little with the concept, really. Or with superheroes in general, for that matter. They do tend to be the better sellers.
But are those "better sellers" in the superhero field more likely to be those from DC and Marvel? I don't know how many other companies (at least here in the U.S.) have had much traction in that area over the past several years, though there have been several attempts.

By the way, finally got around to ordering the TPB collection of Death Defying 'Devil from Dynamite (from back in 2009).

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite 51MQJL5nn6L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_

I had previously bought the Masquerade (formerly Miss Masque) tpb, but have stayed away from the Black Terror ones. (I picked up some random issues of Black Terror in discount bins in the past, and for some reason he was more like a pirate with a parrot and a flying pirate ship or something?)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:12 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:It's odd that Dynamite have done so little with the concept, really. Or with superheroes in general, for that matter. They do tend to be the better sellers.
But are those "better sellers" in the superhero field more likely to be those from DC and Marvel? I don't know how many other companies (at least here in the U.S.) have had much traction in that area over the past several years, though there have been several attempts.

By the way, finally got around to ordering the TPB collection of Death Defying 'Devil from Dynamite (from back in 2009).

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite 51MQJL5nn6L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_

I had previously bought the Masquerade (formerly Miss Masque) tpb, but have stayed away from the Black Terror ones. (I picked up some random issues of Black Terror in discount bins in the past, and for some reason he was more like a pirate with a parrot and a flying pirate ship or something?)
I must have missed that series. They did use the classic Black Terror in another series awhile back, but the title escapes me...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:25 pm

tony ingram wrote: . . . They did use the classic Black Terror in another series awhile back, but the title escapes me...
I know he was included in Masks and Masks 2.

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite 3225a097e052d8865251a4e90d4bf2d5_xl
Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite 885e78efb0d6e8b7c1071ca1a962fb5e_xl
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:40 pm

That's what I was thinking of! Thank you!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:58 am

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote: . . . By the way, finally got around to ordering the TPB collection of Death Defying 'Devil from Dynamite (from back in 2009).

I must have missed that series.
Finally got delivery of the book and read it the other day. Wasn't as interesting as I was hoping it would be, and actually didn't feel like much of a complete story to me. (Definitely preferred the Masquerade series, and even the four issues of The Owl by J.T. Krul that came out in 2013.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:46 pm

MajorHoy wrote:After a couple of limited series written by Warren Ellis (PROJECT SUPERPOWERS BLACKCROSS) and Ryan Browne (PROJECT SUPERPOWERS HERO KILLERS) that seemed to . . . stray from the original storyline, writer Rob Williams is now taking a crack at this.

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS VOL. 3 #0
Superpowers #0: Project Superpowers is Back! Written by Rob (Suicide Squad) Williams, illustrated by Sergio (Swords of Sorrow, Superman) Davila, and featuring an all-star roster of cover artists, this introductory priced issue is the perfect starting point for the most ambitious superhero story of 2018.
An all-new threat faces the Earth, while the team faces turmoil from within and must overcome all obstacles to prove their worth and value in a world that desperately needs its heroes. The Death Defying Devil, Samson, Black Terror, Masquerade, Green Lama, Scarab and more are all here as the adventure begins again.
Featuring an introductory story leading right into the all-new #1 next month, Project Superpowers #0 is action-packed and introductory priced. Includes bonus materials and 16 pages of original story.
U.S. Cover Price: $0.10
ON SALE DATE: 7/4/2018
https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513026872300011
Issue #0 is due out this week.

Variant covers are by John Royale, Philip Tan, Sergio Davila, Ed Benes, and J. G. Jones. (They all appear to be portions of images based on covers for issue #1; ComicList has them labeled as "Sneek Peek Variant" covers.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Hang on...10c? Hmmm...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:58 am

tony ingram wrote:Hang on...10c? Hmmm...
And with issue #1 it goes to $3.99 (U.S.) cover price.
(Dynamite had previously started some titles, like Sheena and the current run of Red Sonja at 25¢ for the #0 issue.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:10 am

MajorHoy wrote:
(Dynamite had previously started some titles, like Sheena and the current run of Red Sonja at 25¢ for the #0 issue.)
Thanks to the exchange rate, 10c American is about 6p in pounds sterling, so my local comic shop probably won't even bother to charge for them! Another freebie! Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:27 am

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
Thanks to the exchange rate, 10c American is about 6p in pounds sterling, so my local comic shop probably won't even bother to charge for them! Another freebie! Very Happy
And I'm guessing they may have gone with the 10¢ price instead of 25¢ because 10¢ would have been the typical cover price for a regular comic book back in the Golden Age.

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite 6ea70f42cbd1f1fb1c28b8db183ed46a_l

Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite 089a9157fb4f07cdda516a3934835722_l
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Well, I read the 0 issue last night and...I'm not really that impressed. The art's ok, though not outstanding, but the story basically went nowhere, and given how long it's been since the last series, I'd have expected them to make more of an effort to reintroduce the characters and recap the story so far, for new reaers or those who've just forgotten the details. Sloppy, I felt. Anyone not familiar with the characters would be none the wiser as to who the Green Lama or (Dare)devil were after reading this, and tbe others were just background fillers.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:10 pm

tony ingram wrote:Well, I read the 0 issue last night and...I'm not really that impressed. The art's ok, though not outstanding, but the story basically went nowhere, and given how long it's been since the last series, I'd have expected them to make more of an effort to reintroduce the characters and recap the story so far, for new reaers or those who've just forgotten the details. Sloppy, I felt. Anyone not familiar with the characters would be none the wiser as to who the Green Lama or (Dare)devil were after reading this, and tbe others were just background fillers.
I'm hoping to get to a store and pick this up in the next week or two.
As for your criticisms, well, I believe this #0 issue supposedly was only 16 pages of story. Maybe they just wanted it to be more of a tease and there'll be more of what you expected in the actual issue #1?
(But then again, the way many <American> comics seem to be written these days, . . . )
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:17 pm

The point of a teaser issue like this, though, is surely to draw the reader in. It's difficult to do that if the reader has no idea what's going on, who anyone is, or why he should care.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:26 pm

tony ingram wrote:The point of a teaser issue like this, though, is surely to draw the reader in. It's difficult to do that if the reader has no idea what's going on, who anyone is, or why he should care.
Sometimes writers seem to use teasers to make people ask questions, then hope those people will want to buy future issues to find the answers.
It's like movie trailers where they show cool action scenes but don't really explain what the hell the movie is actually about. But it looks awesome!
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:46 pm

In this case, it didn't look awesome enough. It doesn't help that I have no sentimental attachment to the concept of America and therefore just found the floating flag rather silly and the gravitas it was treated with vaguely irritating.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:20 am

tony ingram wrote:In this case, it didn't look awesome enough. It doesn't help that I have no sentimental attachment to the concept of America and therefore just found the floating flag rather silly and the gravitas it was treated with vaguely irritating.

Same here.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:06 am

Finally got/read issues #0 and #1, and while they weren't terrible, they did seem a bit generic. Really couldn't get the sense of the former Golden Age characters I was hoping for, but maybe that will happen as the story progresses (or not).

Also, a quibble over the Sergio Davila variant cover (which I didn't get):
Project Superpowers Vol. 3 (back to basics?) - Dynamite Bcb2031340c822c711cb5a708e324ab4_xl

Does anybody else get the feeling this could have just as easily come from a rejected Avengers cover or something?

Death-Defying 'Devil holding his boomerang out looks like he could have originally been intended to be Wolverine, while Scarab looks like a reduced-sized female with slightly noticeably developed mammaries (almost as if that figure would have been originally the Wasp)?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:45 am

Thor at the top, Vision in the foreground right...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:18 pm

tony ingram wrote:Thor at the top, Vision in the foreground right...
And maybe Captain America (Black Terror) and Black Widow (Miss Masque/Masquerade) to complete the lineup?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:28 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Thor at the top, Vision in the foreground right...
And maybe Captain America (Black Terror) and Black Widow (Miss Masque/Masquerade) to complete the lineup?
Sounds about right. I guess it's difficult to be original when there are so many similar characters out there on similar teams
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:16 pm

By the way, from the January 2019 Dynamite solicitations found on newsarama (https://www.newsarama.com/42470-dynamite-entertainment-january-2019-solicitations.html), it looks like issue #6 will be the last issue for this?
PROJECT SUPERPOWERS #6
LAST ISSUE
Price: $3.99
Genre: Superhero Adventure
Page Count: 32 Pages
ON SALE DATE: 1/16/2019
It is the final confrontation between the alien invader P:andora and the surviving members of Project Superpowers. Can they make one last stand? Do a sense of hope and true heroes still exist in this world? Or will all life on planet Earth be a thing of the past?
Now, whether Dynamite will have a new PSP series (starting with a new issue #1, of course!) coming out at some point that builds off of these six issues, or if maybe they'll try something else (AGAIN!) with this franchise, I have no idea. I'm just getting tired of Dynamite doing all these short runs (sometimes with no indication that it will be a mini-/limited-series in the first place!) then seemingly abandoning the property for a while it moves on to the next five or six "hot" things that have usually grown cold by the time the book reaches the store shelves.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down