Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Trek in UK comics

4 posters

Go down

Star Trek in UK comics Empty Star Trek in UK comics

Post by Saintade Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 am

I was an avid reader and collector of TV21, and all its subsequent mergers and spin-offs, and I really loved the UK treatment given to Star Trek in Joe 90 Special Agent comic and later in TV21 & Joe 90. The double page centre spreads in Joe 90 were a joy to me as a youngster, mainly because I only had a black and white TV and never knew what colour the crew shirts were (it turned out later that most of them were the wrong colour in the comics anyway!). And then Mike Noble did a short stint on the comic in TV21/Joe90 and I was then hooked on finding all of Mike's work (I'm still searching!).
Anyway, I now have EVERY UK Star Trek strip scanned in and turned into pdf files so each story is one continuous file which can be read in any pdf software. If anyone is interested in seeing these, please respond and I'll email you a list of the stories I have.
I'm also doing the same with the unpublished Frank Bellamy Thunderbirds strips from TV21 (the recent Century 21 reprints has cut down the workload here, thank goodness!) and I also have many of these now scanned in high res, and all of my scans have been restored in Photoshop as much as possible, with the colour more vibrant, the whites restored to white and any page creases and tears lovingly mended (thank God for Adobe!!).

So if you're interested in revisiting some of these magnificent works of comic art - let me know.
Ade
Saintade
Saintade

Back to top Go down

Star Trek in UK comics Empty Re: Star Trek in UK comics

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:06 pm

That is one Hell of a project, Ade! A very worthwhile enterprise.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:49 pm

I vaguely remember reading somewhere somebody moaning that in British comics Star Trek had been turned into a "boys' adventure strip". Somebody with an overinflated idea of just how "arty" the original series was! It was only decades later that Trek became a chior-preaching farrago of technobabble, in the olden days it was something ordinary people watched... fancy that!

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:54 pm

Arty is not a word I would use to describe Star Trek, in any incarnation. 'Cheesy', 'excruciating' and, paradoxically, 'brilliant' are, but not 'arty'.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saintade Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Do you know who was the artist on the Joe 90 Trek strip? The early issues have the look of Gerry Haylock about it, but I can't find anything that confirms this. Anyone know?
Saintade
Saintade

Back to top Go down

Post by shaqui Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Saintade wrote:Do you know who was the artist on the Joe 90 Trek strip? The early issues have the look of Gerry Haylock about it, but I can't find anything that confirms this. Anyone know?

Harry Lindfield. A well established fact. At the same time, Gerry Haylock was doing 'Land of the Giants' in the same publication, but it is possible that he did the 'Star Trek' covers towards the end of that comics run.
shaqui
shaqui

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:04 am

Haylock and Lindfield are frequently confused, I think. Happens a lot with their Doctor Who work.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saintade Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:13 pm

I too have confused them, I think, so thanks for clearing that up. It makes sense that they were each doing a strip during TV21/Joe90 run. Their styles are similar, but now looking again and comparing them to their Doctor Who work, I can now tell them apart, you'll be pleased to know. I found that Harry Lindfield's work seems to be more dense and colourful, whereas Haylock's seems more loose and 'crayony', but they are both damn fine artists.
Saintade
Saintade

Back to top Go down

Post by shaqui Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:17 am

Also, Harry Lindfield would occasionally sign his work 'HFL', whereas to my knowledge, Gerry Haylock never did.
shaqui
shaqui

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down