Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DC Comics putting together a timeline now?

4 posters

Go down

DC Comics putting together a timeline now? Empty DC Comics putting together a timeline now?

Post by MajorHoy Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:44 am

I saw this elsewhere, how the Hollywood Reporter has an article that says DC Comics is putting together a timeline for their comic book continuity:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-unveils-new-timeline-comic-book-universe-1245501

Does it sound like they'll be making all the comic book-continuity kowtow to the movies and TV now? Mad

(And if they're going to make Wonder Woman's arrival from Themyscira take place prior to WWII, is DC going to give Wonder Woman a new origin YET AGAIN?!? Shocked )

By the way, love the part where Dan DiDiot is saying "For the first time, we’re going to introduce the DC Timeline,” . . . “The whole idea here right now is, from our standpoint, we’re trying to organize a sense of when the DC stories took place and how they all fit together” (which I thought DC supposedly had worked out prior to the New 52, but whatever . . . )
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

DC Comics putting together a timeline now? Empty Re: DC Comics putting together a timeline now?

Post by Mbast1 Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:38 pm

I saw that. Not sure how to take it, DC has struck me for years as having no idea what they're doing. But, as I've said before, it may just be the market isn't giving clues anyone recognizes. Things are changing faster than they can plan for, maybe?
Plus, I'm guessing Marvel's movie success is causing pressure from above for them to do more to get their comics in line with the movies, as a launching point? That is, they want to feed readers, who will then go to more movies?
Maybe.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

DC Comics putting together a timeline now? Empty Re: DC Comics putting together a timeline now?

Post by MajorHoy Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Mbast1 wrote:I saw that. Not sure how to take it, DC has struck me for years as having no idea what they're doing. But, as I've said before, it may just be the market isn't giving clues anyone recognizes. Things are changing faster than they can plan for, maybe?
Plus, I'm guessing Marvel's movie success is causing pressure from above for them to do more to get their comics in line with the movies, as a launching point? That is, they want to feed readers, who will then go to more movies?
Maybe.
I think they have enough people going to the movies; what they probably need is more movie-goers to then buy the comic books.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:07 pm

MajorHoy wrote:I think they have enough people going to the movies; what they probably need is more movie-goers to then buy the comic books.

I worded that badly, often companies line comics and movies up to generate new readers but also, in this case, maybe to get teh movie-goers to stick around by giving them stories more like the movies? Something to tide them over?

Now, THIS is genuinely weird:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/everything-we-know-about-dc-comics-5g

Looks like they can't decide to go "iconic" (which was Didio's line once before) or modern. They look as if they're floundering. Again, understandable, but not good.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:09 am

Mbast1 wrote: . . . Looks like they can't decide to go "iconic" (which was Didio's line once before) or modern. They look as if they're floundering. Again, understandable, but not good.
Hard for me to read the article since Comics Beat puts this HUGE "Subscribe to our weekly newsletter!" pop-up over a good chunk of the page (which on my computer I can't seem to close unless I do what they demand and subscribe, which I ain't going to do).

However, I wonder if they're trying to cater to guys like Bendis with any "modern" moves to historic characters. (Are there any "iconic" characters that he hasn't made changes to on his various runs?)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:26 am

I remember to have read, maybe on BC website, that this 5G timeline is linked to an old possible vision of Dc Universe that Grant Morrison had at time (2009) when writing Batman, has someone else read this too? Smile

Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:has someone else read this too?  Smile

No, but that would make it more interesting.

And, so I looked it up, and this article talks about it:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11/12/did-dc-comics-and-grant-morrison-try-to-do-5g-in-2009-as-the-fifth-world/

It IS interesting, but we'll see how it plays out.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:31 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:I saw that. Not sure how to take it, DC has struck me for years as having no idea what they're doing. But, as I've said before, it may just be the market isn't giving clues anyone recognizes. Things are changing faster than they can plan for, maybe?
Maybe.
I think they have enough people going to the movies; what they probably need is more movie-goers to then buy the comic books.
Unfortunately, that just doesn't seem to happen. Most moviegoers probably don't even realise the comics are still in print; a mate of mine who runs a comic shop tells me he's had people wander in off the street occasionally ask if there are comics "based on Captain America or the Avengers", genuinely not seeming to realise that's where the characters originated!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down