Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .

3 posters

Go down

Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Empty Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .

Post by MajorHoy Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:31 pm

I'm finally catching up on some of the HELLBOY comics I had bought in the past year or so but not yet read.

Over the weekend I read:
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  _00a_h10
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Long Night at Goloski Station

Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Hellbo15
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Return of Effie Kolb #1 and #2

Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  _00f_h10
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  _00g_h10
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Saturn Returns #1-3

Next time I get to the comic book shop (whenever that may be) I hope to pick up
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  _00j_h10
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Seven Wives Club (which just came out this past week)
and maybe even
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  _00z_h10
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Her Fatal Hour
(currently due out December 2nd)

MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Empty Re: Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .

Post by MajorHoy Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:08 am

MajorHoy wrote:Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Hellbo19
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Return of Effie Kolb #1 and #2
Here's how those two issues are described by Dark Horse Comics:
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Hellbo16
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Return of Effie Kolb #1
Years after he banished the Crooked Man, Hellboy returns to Appalachia when a young psychic warns Tom Ferrell of looming danger. But the Crooked Man's house is no longer empty, and threats both new and old simmer in the Virginia woods.
Mike Mignola returns to continue the tale of ''The Crooked Man.'' He's joined by artist Zach Howard and colorist Dave Stewart for a stellar fright fest!

Creators
Writer: Mike Mignola
Artist: Zach Howard
Colorist: Dave Stewart
Cover Artist: Zach Howard
Genre: Horror, Crime, Action/Adventure
Publication Date: February 19, 2020
Format: FC, 32 pages; Miniseries
(U.S.) Price: $3.99

NOTE: variant cover by Mike Mignola:
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Hellbo17
https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3005-664/Hellboy-and-the-B-P-R-D-The-Return-of-Effie-Kolb-1
and
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Hellbo18
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Return of Effie Kolb #2
Following Hellboy's strange encounter with the new residents of the Crooked Man's home, a young spiritual sensitive still feels that something bad is going on in the old Virginia mansion . . . and she's right.
Prepare for monsters and mayhem in the second half of Mike Mignola's return to the story of ''The Crooked Man,'' with artist Zach Howard and colorist Dave Stewart!

Creators
Artist: Zach Howard
Colorist: Dave Stewart
Cover Artist: Zach Howard
Publication Date: October 28, 2020
Format: FC, 32 pages; Miniseries
(U.S.) Price: $3.99
https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3005-665/Hellboy-and-the-B-P-R-D-The-Return-of-Effie-Kolb-2

Yeah, a slight Cough!  Cough! gap between the dates for the two issues due to COVID-19 and related.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Empty Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Seven Wives Club

Post by MajorHoy Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:23 pm

MajorHoy wrote:. . . Next time I get to the comic book shop (whenever that may be) I hope to pick up
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Seven Wives Club (which just came out this past week) . . .
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Hellbo20
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Seven Wives Club (one-shot)

The team behind the Eisner Award-winning one-shot Hellboy: Krampusnacht spins a new ghostly yarn! Hellboy comes to the aid of a young girl whose ghost hunt goes wrong, and a visit to an abandoned medical school reveals sinister layers to a grisly, long-ago murder. Stolen cadavers, vengeful spirits, and more abound in this one-shot.
Hellboy creator Mike Mignola reunites with fan-favorite artist Adam Hughes for a spirit-fueled scream fest sure to excite old and new fans alike!

Creators
Artist: Adam Hughes
Colorist: Adam Hughes
Cover Artist: Adam Hughes
Publication Date: November 11, 2020
Format: FC, 32 pages; One-shot
(U.S.) Price: $4.99
(https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3005-549/Hellboy-and-the-B-P-R-D-The-Seven-Wives-Club-one-shot)

There are also listings for a black-&-white variant cover of the Adam Hughes version, as well as a Mike Mignola variant cover:
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Hellbo21
which lists the colorists as "Adam Hughes, Dave Stewart".
So, maybe Dave Stewart was the colorist for only the Mike Mignola variant cover itself?
(https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/3005-577/Hellboy-and-the-B-P-R-D-The-Seven-Wives-Club-one-shot-Mike-Mignola-Variant-Cover)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Empty Re: Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .

Post by Mbast1 Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Does it make sense to just start at the beginning and work through them, or would you recommend an alternate order?
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Mbast1 wrote:Does it make sense to just start at the beginning and work through them, or would you recommend an alternate order?
Boy, that's a loaded question!

If you try to read things in order, you'd be going all the way back to 1993!

Plus, there's a whole lotta jumping around in time for the stories.  As an example, the stories I recently read took place in 1967 ("Long Night at Goloski Station" and "The Return of Effie Kolb") and in 1975 ("Saturn Returns"), and I believe the recent issue ("The Seven Wives Club ") is set in 1992.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about starting at the very beginning and going in exact order.  After all,
Spoiler:
If you feel more comfortable trying to read things from the start, there are multiple collected editions that Dark Horse has put out over the years, but just watch out there, too, because they went from tpb books to larger Omnibus collections, and sometimes the orders of what's collected in what has varied as later stories filled in different gaps in the past.  And there different sites that will tell you what goes in what order (at least in the opinion of who runs the site or who put together the list).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Barry_Allen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:03 am

The Hellboy universe is so extended and complicated (after all it's normal, after more than 25 years of continuos publishing with various mini-series coming out every month) that Dark Horse has published the Hellboy Companion with various updated editions too, maybe it's time they publish a new updated one... Wink
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Hellbo11
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:20 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about starting at the very beginning and going in exact order.

This was what I was kinda wondering. Some things need to be read in order, some don't. I'll just grab things as I see them, then. Thanks!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:22 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:The Hellboy universe is so extended and complicated (after all it's normal, after more than 25 years of continuos publishing with various mini-series coming out every month) that Dark Horse has published the Hellboy Companion

THIS is what DC should have done, not Crisis...
Anyway, thanks!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
Barry_Allen wrote:The Hellboy universe is so extended and complicated (after all it's normal, after more than 25 years of continuos publishing with various mini-series coming out every month) that Dark Horse has published the Hellboy Companion
THIS is what DC should have done, not Crisis...
Anyway, thanks!
Well, in all fairness, DC had a lot more continuity issues back then because of multiple creators / multiple changes in direction during the 1930s-1980s when they came out with Crisis on Infinite Earths. And it was such a BIG thing at the time it happened, it gained major attention from the media beyond just the cloistered world of comic books.
And who knows how many former/lapsed readers it got to start looking at and buying DC comic books again, even if it was only for a little while?

With Hellboy, even though it had been around for those 25+ years, it's overall writing / direction was more tightly controlled Mike Mignola and those who worked with him.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:18 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Well, in all fairness, DC had a lot more continuity issues back then because of multiple creators / multiple changes in direction during the 1930s-1980s when they came out with Crisis on Infinite Earths.  

I'm not sure I agree. I've only ever seen a small group of people who thought this stuff was a big deal, while I have met/known/talked to plenty more who just didn't care if the "wrong" version of the character showed up. So, I think they could have done it in the way of a handbook and left it at that.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:52 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Well, in all fairness, DC had a lot more continuity issues back then because of multiple creators / multiple changes in direction during the 1930s-1980s when they came out with Crisis on Infinite Earths.  
I'm not sure I agree. I've only ever seen a small group of people who thought this stuff was a big deal, while I have met/known/talked to plenty more who just didn't care if the "wrong" version of the character showed up. So, I think they could have done it in the way of a handbook and left it at that.
Perhaps, but again it was easier for new readers if there was a single, cohesive backstory to the comic book universe. (Of course, DC couldn't even get all that to stay in place, so they had to try and fix things AGAIN about ten years later with Zero Hour: Crisis in Time.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:27 am

MajorHoy wrote:Perhaps, but again it was easier for new readers if there was a single, cohesive backstory to the comic book universe.

I just don't know that I agree. Part of the fun of comics, for me, as a kid was working to figure stuff out. And I know casual readers won't do that, and if they are who publishers target, so be it. But, what kept me coming back was the "making sense of it" part, and then realizing that I could decide for myself which parts mattered and which didn't.

Also, I think it's no longer the case that fans of superheroes can't deal with multiple iterations. Or mistakes.

MajorHoy wrote:(Of course, DC couldn't even get all that to stay in place, so they had to try and fix things AGAIN about ten years later with Zero Hour: Crisis in Time.)
Yeah, that seems to be their thing now. Keep "fixing" things. Fixing. Yeah.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:36 am

MajorHoy wrote: . . . Next time I get to the comic book shop (whenever that may be) I hope to pick up
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Seven Wives Club (which just came out this past week)
and maybe even
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  _00z_h10
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Her Fatal Hour
(currently due out December 2nd)
Went this morning and picked those up.

Also added the coming four-issue series Young Hellboy (The Hidden Land) to my pull list; first issue is currently due out in February.
Back to reading HELLBOY comics these days . . .  Young_14
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down