Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frank Thorne R.I.P.

3 posters

Go down

Frank Thorne R.I.P. Empty Frank Thorne R.I.P.

Post by Barry_Allen Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:31 am

Dynamite Entertainment posted on their Twitter that comic creator Frank Thorne has passed away last March 7, he was 90 at the time of his death.

Thorne started working in comics in 1948 Exclamation , but was best known for his work on Red Sonja, a character he started drawing in 1976, when the character was being developed in the Robert E. Howard Conan comics universe for Marvel by Barry Windsor-Smith and writer Roy Thomas. Frank provided most of the art for the Red Sonja solo series, which ran from 1977-1979, all reprinted by Dynamite last years, if I remember well.

Frank Thorne R.I.P. Ghita10

Thorne also created some of his own characters, including Ghita of Alizarr in an original graphic novel, Lann in Heavy Metal, Danger Rangerette in National Lampoon, and others.

Frank Thorne R.I.P. Ghista10

In Italy we were quite lucky to read these characters in nice hardcover books published in the Eighties by then Sci-Fi publisher Editrice Nord (now a publisher specialized in romance books!).

Thorne worked for Standard Comics and DC in addition to Marvel; he did newspaper strips, including Perry Mason (!); then he wrote a number of books for Fantagraphics Books and did magazine illustration work for Playboy, Hustler, High Times, and Vanity Fair.

In its Fb page, former DC publisher Paul Levitz described Thorne as "an artist who progressively developed his style into a more and more personal expression" and "a man of talent, charm and great wit".

Hermes Press has released a number of collections of Thorne’s creator-owned work in recent years and Dynamite Entertainment is the publisher of Thorne’s Red Sonja word.
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Frank Thorne R.I.P. Empty Re: Frank Thorne R.I.P.

Post by Mbast1 Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:Dynamite Entertainment posted on their Twitter that comic creator Frank Thorne has passed away last March 7, he was 90 at the time of his death.

Yet another amazing talent lost. I really need to step up my plan to read more of these works, those done by creators who are gone, from the 60s and 70s.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:38 pm

A shame, he was a real talent in his day. Another great loss to the industry. There was a heartfelt tribute online somewhere from Wendy Pini, but I can't seem to find it now.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down