Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy 88th Birthday Stan Lee!

2 posters

Go down

Happy 88th Birthday Stan Lee! Empty Happy 88th Birthday Stan Lee!

Post by tony ingram Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 am

Stan the Man, the father of Marvel Comics, is 88 years young today-and still looking good. Without Stan, whatever his critics may say, the face of modern popular culture would be very different today-we'd have no Fantastic Four, no X-Men, no Spidey or Hulk or Silver Surfer, no Mighty Thor or Iron Man, not even (gasp) the Savage She-Hulk! So many happy returns, and thank you Stanley Martin Lieber for changing the world and making it that little bit brighter!

Happy 88th Birthday Stan Lee! Stantheman

tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Happy 88th Birthday Stan Lee! Empty Re: Happy 88th Birthday Stan Lee!

Post by kembel Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:44 am

Nuff Said.
kembel
kembel

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:50 am

He's looking good for his age, too-turned up on TV over Christmastalking about Marvel's upcoming movie projects, and he doesn't look a day over sixty...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kembel Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:12 pm

I love British Comics, but a huge part of my comic reading youth was taken up reading the wonderful world that Lee, Kirby and Ditko together helped create through the British Marvel reprints.

Excelsior!
kembel
kembel

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:15 pm

Likewise-I basically learned to read from British comics, most notably Spider-Man Comics Weekly and Mighty World of Marvel! I discovered the US imports when I was about six or seven, and never looked back!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kembel Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:28 pm

The first British Marvel that I read, or rather owned as I seem to remember my Mother actually reading some of the stuff to me, was MWOM #20, which introduced Daredevil . (Spidey went off to SMCW that week. I started a week late with that, with #2)

I remember getting the likes of Valliant and Smash and other stuff on occassions before that date, but one look at the first half of the reprint of the Lee/Everett DD#1 in that particular comic and I was hooked on the character. Still am.

Like a lot of British comics and their wonderful writers and artists, Stan Lee not only helped me to learn to read but let my imagination run wild with all these exciting adventures. And to this day, I don't really differentiate between the likes of 2000ad or the 'American superhero' stuff in terms of origin or quality. I find room for both.
kembel
kembel

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Me, too-I read voraciously back then, and it didn't matter whether it was Battle, Beano (though I preferred Dandy), Mighty World of Marvel, DC's All-Star Comics and Freedom Fighters, Harvey's Hot Stuff or the Alan Class titles like Creepy Worlds. Alan Class, in fact, were often a great source of Lee/Ditko reprints, sometimes two or three per issue...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down