Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Go down

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage Empty The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Post by tony ingram on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Is anybody else reading the new Question series? I picked up the first issue this week and was very impressed. It's not in the standard format, more like the old style oversized graphic novels, which shows off the art (by Denys Cownan and Bill Sienkiewicz) to its best advantage, and it really is excellent, well suited to a hard boiled detective story. As for the actual story, Jeff Lemire seems to have the same feel for the character that Dennis O'Neill had, giving us an intriguing mystery as Vic Sage tries to unravel the origins of a very old Question mask with a bullet hole in it while plagued by memories that aren't his! Lemire's captions also evoke Ditko's classic Mister A, a character whose similarities to the early Question are pretty much undeniable. I would really recommend this book, based on the first issue!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6700
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 50
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage Empty Re: The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Post by Barry_Allen on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:08 am

You mean this one is in the same format as Batman Damned or Superman Year One, Tony? I remember reading about it in Dc Previews but then, for whatever reason, forgot about the upcoming comic book! Smile
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Posts : 193
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 48
Location : Marche, Italy

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage Empty Re: The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Post by tony ingram on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:29 am

Barry_Allen wrote:You mean this one is in the same format as Batman Damned or Superman Year One, Tony? I remember reading about it in Dc Previews but then, for whatever reason, forgot about the upcoming comic book! Smile
It's in the same format as Hunger Dogs or Death of Captain Marvel, but a bit slimmer. Basically, magazine sized with a card cover.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6700
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 50
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage Empty Re: The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Post by Mbast1 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:15 pm

tony ingram wrote:Is anybody else reading the new Question series?

I bought the first issue (I know, berate me as you wish) because I loved the 1980's series, and I am hoping this is good. Unlike the novel...

tony ingram wrote:also evoke Ditko's classic Mister A, a character whose similarities to the early Question are pretty much undeniable.

That's an understatement! Have you read the two Fantagraphics trades? Supposed to be all his Mr. A material. I read them years ago, and loved them.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Posts : 1534
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage Empty Re: The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Post by tony ingram on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Is anybody else reading the new Question series?

I bought the first issue (I know, berate me as you wish) because I loved the 1980's series, and I am hoping this is good. Unlike the novel...

tony ingram wrote:also evoke Ditko's classic Mister A, a character whose similarities to the early Question are pretty much undeniable.

That's an understatement! Have you read the two Fantagraphics trades? Supposed to be all his Mr. A material. I read them years ago, and loved them.
I read the first one, though I don't have a copy myself. Never saw the second.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6700
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 50
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage Empty Re: The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Post by Barry_Allen on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:33 am

tony ingram wrote:
It's in the same format as Hunger Dogs or Death of Captain Marvel, but a bit slimmer. Basically, magazine sized with a card cover.

That's a format I like, important references you mention Tony! Cool
I remember seeing on September Dc Previews that The Question was listed as "Prestige Format". I didn't noticed at time that below it was written "Approx. 8.5" x 10.875" .
Curiously in November Dc Previews that same format has become named "Prestige Plus", always "Approx. 8.5" x 10.875" of course! Laughing
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Posts : 193
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 48
Location : Marche, Italy

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage Empty Re: The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Post by tony ingram on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:38 am

Barry_Allen wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
It's in the same format as Hunger Dogs or Death of Captain Marvel, but a bit slimmer. Basically, magazine sized with a card cover.

That's a format I like, important references you mention Tony! Cool
I remember seeing on September Dc Previews that The Question was listed as "Prestige Format". I didn't noticed at time that below it was written "Approx. 8.5" x 10.875" .
Curiously in November Dc Previews that same format has become named "Prestige Plus", always "Approx. 8.5" x 10.875" of course! Laughing
I'm wondering if we're going to be seeing more titles in this format. I hope so.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6700
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 50
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage Empty Re: The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Post by Mbast1 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:46 pm

tony ingram wrote:Never saw the second.

I've bought and sold them a couple of times, they can be really expensive.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Posts : 1534
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage Empty Re: The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum