Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Empty What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading?

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:05 pm

I thought we had a thread like this (maybe I just can't find it), but for anybody reading books outside of comic books / graphic novels, what are you reading these days?

I had to take my Mom to an appointment this morning, so while I was waiting for her I started reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Case_o11
The Case of the Lazy Lover by Erle Stanley Gardner <a Perry Mason mystery>,
originally :copyright: 1947.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Barry_Allen likes this post

Back to top Go down

What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Empty Re: What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading?

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:07 pm

These days, I'm currently reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Black-10
Dead Evidence: The Complete Black Mask Cases of Harrigan by Ed Lybeck,  which is a collection of four pulp-era stories originally published in issues of Black Mask magazine in the early 1930s.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Empty Re: What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading?

Post by Barry_Allen Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:22 am

MajorHoy wrote:I thought we had a thread like this (maybe I just can't find it), but for anybody reading books outside of comic books / graphic novels, what are you reading these days?

I had to take my Mom to an appointment this morning, so while I was waiting for her I started reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Case_o11
The Case of the Lazy Lover by Erle Stanley Gardner <a Perry Mason mystery>,
originally :copyright: 1947.

Perry Mason has been always popular, for decades also here, its name is still pratically sinonimous of "lawyer" thanks to that seminal Tv series (or how it was called those days) and then the Tv movies of the Eighties; Raymond Burr has been very popular, also for Ironside which has been aired by local television channel for decades. Cool
So it is curious for me that they had to put the label "Now an HBO Series" on the cover of this novel for the "new" generations to learn.. Wink
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:54 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:Perry Mason has been always popular, for decades also here, its name is still pratically sinonimous of "lawyer" thanks to that seminal Tv series (or how it was called those days) and then the Tv movies of the Eighties; Raymond Burr has been very popular, also for Ironside which has been aired by local television channel for decades. Cool
So it is curious for me that they had to put the label "Now an HBO Series" on the cover of this novel for the "new" generations to learn.. Wink
Well, the books were being released (reissued) to coincide with a new version of Perry Mason (VERY different from traditional Perry Mason, though I haven't watched any of the episodes since I don't have HBO) that was being broadcast on HBO at that time, so it makes sense to tie them in directly with that.
(Besides, how many copies may be more likely to get people's attention with that "HBO" symbol in the red circle?  If people stop to see what it is based strictly on the HBO logo, then it's a good move for the publisher.)

The first time I read a Perry Mason novel was about two years ago when I found an old paperback on a shelf of books that were originally my father's.
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? _case_10
The Case of the Dangerous Dowager by Erle Stanley Gardner
< "A Perry Mason Mystery" >
(William Morrow edition published April, 1937 / Pocket Book edition July, 1953 - 14th printing)
By the way, cover image was found on the internet, but that's the way the copy I read / now own looks.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:35 pm

Currently alternating between
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Shake-11
Shake-Down: The Complete Cases of MacBride and Kennedy, Vol. 2 (1930-33) by Frederick Nebel

and
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? The_co10
The Continental Op by Dashiell Hammett

Both books are collections of stories originally published in Black Mask magazine in the 1920s-30s.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:33 pm

Had to take the car in for a delayed service appointment earlier this week, so while I was waiting for the car I started reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Reduce15
The Case of the Dubious Bridegroom by Erle Stanley Gardner
<a Perry Mason mystery>,
originally :copyright: 1949.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:19 pm

Currently reading:
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Black104
Black Money by Ross Macdonald
<A Lew Archer Novel>
(:copyright: 1965 by Ross Macdonald; May 1996 Vintage Crime / Black Lizard)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:15 am

Just started reading False Value, the latest book in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. Absolutely brilliant series.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:02 pm

Recently started reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? The_co12
The Complete Casebook of Sgt. Brinkhaus by Frederick Nebel
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

tony ingram and Barry_Allen like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:50 pm

Started reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Ice10
Ice by Ed McBain
(originally released in 1983)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:59 pm

Just finished The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman, a witty, intriguing, nicely convoluted murder mystery about a group of amateur sleuths in a retirement community. Highly recommended.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:17 pm

Yesterday I started reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Case_o13
The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister
by Erle Stanley Gardner
<A Perry Mason Mystery>
originally :copyright: 1953.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:28 pm

I've just finished The Man Who Died Twice, the follow up to The Thursday Murder Club. If anything, better than the first book! I really recommend these.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:27 am

Started reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Case_o14
The Case of the Terrified Typist
by Erle Stanley Gardner
<A Perry Mason Mystery>
originally :copyright: 1956.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:51 pm

Planning to read (again) this one, this new edition has been just re/published here, sold at newssstands too, 570 pages for Euros 7.99! cheers

What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? 42443-12

New cover by great illustrator Franco Brambilla, who is the author of all of the covers of this Anniversary (70th!) series! Cool
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:23 pm

Just finished The Sheerglam Conspiracy, a not entirely serious book about the rivalry between two British comics publishers which ends in chaos and carnage. It's very, very funny. The author is former 2000 AD editor Steve MacManus.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:19 pm

From the description sounds very funny, is it inspired by a true story?!? Very Happy
And the book has 233 pages, as written on Amzn? Question
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:29 pm

It does, though the last section is a fictionalised script breakdown for the proposed new comic that's a big part of the plot. Hopefully it's not based on a true story, since it revolves around some frankly insane characters, one of whom is running a cult inspired by Adolf Hitler, and ends in multiple deaths. But it does take inspiration from the decades long rivalry between British comics publishers DC Thomson of Dundee (here reinvented as "Tartan Editions") and IPC (who've become"Goodenough Publications").
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:44 am

Just bought (and plan to read as soon as I finish Hyperion) at newsstands this new edition of Neuromancer! Great cover by Franco Brambilla, artist of all the covers of Urania 70th Anniversary series and also most of the other Urania series, regular, Collezione (Classic), Jumbo, Millemondi (1000 worlds)! Cool Wink

What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Neurom10
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:17 pm

Just finished Elmsworld, an autobiography by Steve MacManus about his formative years at a boarding school.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:26 pm

I guess you are interested into all things about Steve MacManus biography these weeks, Tony! Cool Wink
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:39 pm

I enjoyed The Sheerglam Conspiracy, so that prompted me to buy Elmsworld. I'd already read his previous book about his time at 2000AD. He's really got quite an engaging style of writing, and he's had a fascinating life.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:21 am

Currently reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? The_gr11
The Great Hotel Murder by Vincent Starrett
<American Mystery Classics>
(First published in 1934 as Recipe for Murder /
Penzler Publishers - 2020)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

tony ingram likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:46 pm

Just finished reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Headed11
Headed for a Hearse by Jonathan Latimer
(:copyright: 1935 / published in 2022 by Penzler Publishers)

Will probably next go with
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Case_o16
The Case of the Borrowed Brunette <A Perry Mason Mystery> by Erle Stanley Gardner
(originally copyright 1946 / published by Penzler Publishers 2021)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:33 pm

Currently reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Eight_10
Eight Faces at Three by Craig Rice
(born "Georgiana Ann Randolph Craig")

(Copyright :copyright: 1939 / Penzler Publishers - 2021)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:41 am

tony ingram wrote:I enjoyed The Sheerglam Conspiracy, so that prompted me to buy Elmsworld. I'd already read his previous book about his time at 2000AD. He's really got quite an engaging style of writing, and he's had a fascinating life.

Do you have also read David Bishop book about his tenure as EIC at 2000AD? I loved his column in Comics International Mag, to which I have been a subscriber, until when it was published, included the infamous last period with the always (very) late Mike Conroy... Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Laughing
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:39 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I enjoyed The Sheerglam Conspiracy, so that prompted me to buy Elmsworld. I'd already read his previous book about his time at 2000AD. He's really got quite an engaging style of writing, and he's had a fascinating life.

Do you have also read David Bishop book about his tenure as EIC at 2000AD? I loved his column in Comics International Mag, to which I have been a subscriber, until when it was published, included the infamous last period with the always (very) late Mike Conroy... Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Laughing
I have indeed, a very illuminating read. I also remember Comics International very well; in fact, I used to write reviews for them!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:43 pm

In fact Comics International is where I first heard about your historical fanzines Cool too bad Conroy took CI out of business and then created Multiverse Magazine which lasted only a few months, skipping numeration too.. Laughing
I remember also that three issues of Multiverse Magazine vol. 2 Exclamation were solicited by the infamous (for being always late too) Ardden Entertainment, annonced as edited by Richard Emms which should be a comic retailer, maybe you know about him too.. Rolling Eyes
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:10 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Will probably next go with
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Case_o16
The Case of the Borrowed Brunette <A Perry Mason Mystery> by Erle Stanley Gardner
(originally copyright 1946 / published by Penzler Publishers 2021)

Btw, in Italy popular channel Rai 4 just started airing for free this "new" Perry Mason series, I didn't have yet a chance to watch it, but is it worth watching in your opinion? Wink
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:18 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:Btw, in Italy popular channel Rai 4 just started airing for free this "new" Perry Mason series, I didn't have yet a chance to watch it, but is it worth watching in your opinion? Wink
I have not seen the HBO series, partly because I'm not paying to get HBO.

I'd be curious to watch it and see if it's any good, but I would not consider it "Perry Mason" based on the classic version(s) that originated with Erle Stanley Gardner.
From what I've read, it takes the names of the characters but then makes major changes to them based on how they were originally conceived (way back in the 1930s).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:50 pm

Currently reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Lightn13
Lightning by Ed McBain <87th Precinct series>
(originally released in 1984)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu May 12, 2022 2:59 am

Currently reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Real_c11
The Real Cool Killers by Chester Himes <Harlem Detectives series>
(:copyright: 1959 / First Vintage Books Edition, December 1988)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri May 27, 2022 2:59 am

Now reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? Case_o18
The Case of the Gilded Lily
by Erle Stanley Gardner
<A Perry Mason Mystery>
originally :copyright: 1956
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:44 am

Current reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? The_co15
The Complete Cases of The Blue Barrel, Volume 1
(The Dime Detective Library)
by William E. Barrett
(published by Steeger Books)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:11 pm

Currently reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? 81agya11
The Corpse Steps Out by Craig Rice
<John J. Malone Mysteries #2>
(originally © 1940 / published by Rue Morgue Press 2012)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:29 pm

Currently reading:
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? 81f7wb10
Playback by Raymond Chandler
<Philip Marlowe>
(© 1958 by Raymond Chandler;
First Vintage Books Edition, August 1988)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:55 am

MajorHoy wrote:Currently reading:

I gotta say, your taste in books and music is pretty cool, I think. I enjoy seeing what you're taking in.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:59 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Currently reading:
I gotta say, your taste in books and music is pretty cool, I think. I enjoy seeing what you're taking in.
Well, thank you.

I'm an old guy who enjoys even older stuff.

Latest book I started reading this weekend is:
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? 418i8d10
The Case of the Counterfeit Eye by Erle Stanley Gardner
<Perry Mason series>
(orig. :copyright: 1935 / Pocket Books edition December 1973)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:01 pm

The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe - Steven Novella
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? W512_u90
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:15 pm

The Mysterium - David Bramwell & Jo Tinsley
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? 1059613016_0:0:765:883_705x813_80_0_0_a5fcbbf3d337849fb63c7fe30341b068
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:20 pm

God Is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? God-is-not-great
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

tony ingram likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:21 pm

The October Man by Ben Aaronovitch.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:20 pm

The Sure Thing - Nick Townsend
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? The_sure_thing_190
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:22 pm

Love All the People - Bill Hicks
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? 1216c1c43135aeda923d023c7103f1c0
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:09 am

I should stilll have a Bill Hicks Cd which were given away at time with a subscription (when renewing it) to the Comics Journal! Cool
Otherwise he is virtually unknown in Italy, if the fact that a very famous comedian here, called Daniele Luttazzi, was accused some years ago to have copied phrases from Bill Hicks but basically it was not true, it was a political attack to him.
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:59 pm

What Just Happened?! - Marina Hyde
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? 1019504-352x500
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:49 am

It surely has a curious caption on the cover! Very Happy
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:48 pm

Currently reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? The_co43

What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? The_co44
The Complete Cases of Max Latin
by Norbert Davis
The Dime Detective Library.

Stories were originally published 1941-1943.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:34 pm

Currently reading
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? The_wr10
The Wrong Murder by Craig Rice
<A John J. Malone Mystery #3>
(© 1940 / published by Rue Morgue Press 2013)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:12 am

The Secret Political Adviser - Michael Spicer
What (non-comic) Books Are You Reading? 9781838853143
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next