Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sales figures for UK comics

2 posters

Go down

Sales figures for UK comics Empty Sales figures for UK comics

Post by MLP* Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:08 pm

An interesting article at Down The Tubes detailing the sales figures for various UK comics :

http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.com/2010/08/british-comics-sales-figures-quick.html

I had no idea Simpsons comics were so popular !

By contrast, I wonder how much longer the Dandy (in its Xtreme form) can survive with sales figures which are a fraction of those of The Beano or Beano Max ?
MLP*
MLP*

Back to top Go down

Sales figures for UK comics Empty Re: Sales figures for UK comics

Post by tony ingram Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:42 am

I'm not really sure how it's survived this long. Who even stocks Dandy Xtreme?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MLP* Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:12 am

tony ingram wrote:I'm not really sure how it's survived this long. Who even stocks Dandy Xtreme?

I think I've seen it jostling for shelf space in my local Smiths alongside Beano Max and Toxic but TBH their comics section always looks like a bomb has hit it. (I think the covermounts on all the comics must make them hard to display !)

I always thought turning Dandy into a magazine was a pretty dreadful idea. (The Dandy logo on the cover is now so tiny that it's really not the same title any more anyway.) I wonder how much worse the sales would be if it were still a more traditional comic like The Beano ?

MLP*
MLP*

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:18 am

Since the Beano is still pretty healthy by comparison, I suspect that if run properly the figures would be a lot better. Dandy's problem was always that it was always seen as a little old fashioned compared to its younger sibling, but the revamp was far too extreme (yes, that was deliberate) and hasn't done it any favours.

As for the display issue-I think the problem is that the cover mounts are now seen as more important than the mag they're attached to, I'm convinced half the staff of WH Smith don't even look at the comics themselves when shelving them.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MLP* Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:36 am

tony ingram wrote:Since the Beano is still pretty healthy by comparison, I suspect that if run properly the figures would be a lot better. Dandy's problem was always that it was always seen as a little old fashioned compared to its younger sibling, but the revamp was far too extreme (yes, that was deliberate) and hasn't done it any favours.

The Dandy had a Manga / Cartoon Network style makeover a few years before the Xtreme one. Even though it wasn't to my taste I hoped that that would be enough to keep the comic going. As you say, it had always seemed a bit old fashioned so radical surgery to bring it up to date might have been what it needed.
I wonder if in the end they killed off the Dandy (as a traditional comic anyway) to protect The Beano ? Dandy and Beano were going for exactly the same market. Without the Dandy to hive off some of their sales maybe Beano sales are now healthier ?

tony ingram wrote:As for the display issue-I think the problem is that the cover mounts are now seen as more important than the mag they're attached to, I'm convinced half the staff of WH Smith don't even look at the comics themselves when shelving them.

It seems that kids will pick up whichever title has the best covermounted gift these days, rather than sticking with a comic that they like.
In fact I wonder how many of the comics just get chucked away while the kid plays with the toy instead !
MLP*
MLP*

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:45 am

Quite a few, I'd imagine. I'm not sure a lot of kids today can read.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down