Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The BEANO: Is this the beginning of the end?

+5
Spiff_B
MR X
felneymike
tony ingram
Hourglass
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The BEANO: Is this the beginning of the end? Empty The BEANO: Is this the beginning of the end?

Post by Hourglass Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Quite surprised today when my local newsagent told me he no longer sold this comic. I thought it was a right of passage in British children to grow up reading this. I know I did (and Buster which was vastly Superior- god I miss Store Wars).
Anyone think the Beano's time could be coming to an end?
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

The BEANO: Is this the beginning of the end? Empty Re: The BEANO: Is this the beginning of the end?

Post by tony ingram Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Hourglass wrote:Quite surprised today when my local newsagent told me he no longer sold this comic. I thought it was a right of passage in British children to grow up reading this. I know I did (and Buster which was vastly Superior- god I miss Store Wars).
Anyone think the Beano's time could be coming to an end?
Sadly I wouldn't be surprised. It's only a matter of time, given what happened to Dandy. I'm not sure what can be done, really-my local shop doesn't stock it either!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

The BEANO: Is this the beginning of the end? Empty Re: The BEANO: Is this the beginning of the end?

Post by Hourglass Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Quite sad what happened to the Dandy. I do think though Manga is outselling these types of comic's these day which is a shame as it will soon be a lots art.
I think part of the problem is the stories in these are too childish these days for children.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Hourglass wrote:Quite sad what happened to the Dandy. I do think though Manga is outselling these types of comic's these day which is a shame as it will soon be a lots art.
I think part of the problem is the stories in these are too childish these days for children.
DC Thomson say the stories are pitched at a younger age group as the traditional age group no longer read comics.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:04 pm

I think The Dandy is more likely to go before The Beano does, some people think it's already gone thanks to the re-name.

Looking at the Beano's website, there's regular posters commenting on the strips... i think it will be around for a while yet. If the weekly does go the bigger Beanomax might hang on for longer.

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:09 pm

felneymike wrote:I think The Dandy is more likely to go before The Beano does, some people think it's already gone thanks to the re-name.

Looking at the Beano's website, there's regular posters commenting on the strips... i think it will be around for a while yet. If the weekly does go the bigger Beanomax might hang on for longer.
It'd be interesting to know the sales figurtes for the two Beano titles. I suspect BeanoMax may actually be the more attractive package for kids these days. Mind you, Beano's erratic pricing policy doesn't help it. People do know when they're paying a quid for a 'free' gift...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:16 pm

I think some people are Beano fans even when adults. It does seem to have a cult following which the Dandy never had or if it did not as noticeable.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by MR X Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm

the rot set in on BEANO, for me at least, when they started introducing non-DCT advertising. Much of the independence of this fiercely-self-contained comic seemed to get watered-down as a result: possibly commercial advertisers started interfering with the strip content?
MR X
MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:38 pm

They also had the audacity to put the same stip in Dandy in the same week. Why not make a different one for people who buy both?
They did this all the time with those Jaffa Cake toys.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:57 pm

I used to like the Cheese strings and Ki Ora ads in the Beano, because they were comic strips in themselves and took up a whole page. I'm sure all the out-of-work artists didn't mind them either!

In fact, those are the only adverts i allow to be mentioned on my British Comics Wiki, like so: http://crystal-knights.co.uk/doku.php?id=beano_2953

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:16 pm

felneymike wrote:I used to like the Cheese strings and Ki Ora ads in the Beano, because they were comic strips in themselves and took up a whole page. I'm sure all the out-of-work artists didn't mind them either!

In fact, those are the only adverts i allow to be mentioned on my British Comics Wiki, like so: http://crystal-knights.co.uk/doku.php?id=beano_2953
Blimey, that is a real labour of love! Fascinating stuff, Mike.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Hourglass wrote:I think some people are Beano fans even when adults. It does seem to have a cult following which the Dandy never had or if it did not as noticeable.
I think both Beano and Dandy have a cult following, but yeah, Beano seems to get all the attention. Which is a shame, as I think Dandy was always the better comic, at least when I was reading them regularly. Maybe it's just because it was slightly more conservative that it appealed to me, but it did used to have some fantastic strips. I loved The Jocks & the Geordies, Black Bob, Dirty Dick, and going back a bit Ken Reid's Bing Bang Benny, as well as stuff like Greedy Pigg.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:31 am

The redesigned cartoony Dennis the Menace killed it for me last year. Used to buy the occasional issue and annual but I boycotted it as soon as I saw the new Dennis -- finally defeated by the Softies at DC Thomson!
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 am

Spiff_B wrote:The redesigned cartoony Dennis the Menace killed it for me last year. Used to buy the occasional issue and annual but I boycotted it as soon as I saw the new Dennis -- finally defeated by the Softies at DC Thomson!
Yes, the new Dennis is very definitely an acquired taste. But then, for me there's really only one Dennis, and that's David Sutherland's version. I guess it all comes down to what you grew up with. naughty
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:53 pm

I bought a `Dandy Extreme` recently. Personally, I find it repulsive to a great degree! Maybe that's the way it felt it had to go-but `Survival at any cost`? Better to die with dignity in my view!

Can anyone confim please? Is the Beano re-running old `I.Spy` strips from the Sparky 1974-76 period?

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Don't know about that but Crikey! has an excellent 'I Spy' article waiting in the wings..its right next to a certain co-editors...er...'Perishers' article he wrote back when Spartacus was a boy ... actually, Tony told me HE was Spartacus - but I know he's not...it's actually that guy with the dimple...I think...
GBF
GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:52 pm

GBF wrote:Don't know about that but Crikey! has an excellent 'I Spy' article waiting in the wings..its right next to a certain co-editors...er...'Perishers' article he wrote back when Spartacus was a boy ... actually, Tony told me HE was Spartacus - but I know he's not...it's actually that guy with the dimple...I think...
What, Chesney Hawkes? Shocked
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:39 pm

More like Chesney off Coronation Street...
GBF
GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 am

I know the author of the `I. Spy` article! I had thought for years I was the only out-and-out I .Spy fanatic! But Rab on the `Comics UK` site I found was a similar fan! We both feel it was Sparky comics greatest acheivement by far! Some of the storylines it presented at its peak, were superior in my view to any US ones by DC National circa 1969-71.

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:44 am

alanultron5 wrote:I know the author of the `I. Spy` article! I had thought for years I was the only out-and-out I .Spy fanatic! But Rab on the `Comics UK` site I found was a similar fan! We both feel it was Sparky comics greatest acheivement by far! Some of the storylines it presented at its peak, were superior in my view to any US ones by DC National circa 1969-71.
It was a great strip. A shame more of the cream of British comics aren't being released as collected editions.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Too True Tony! "Operation I. Spy/Grab" the 1969/70 season `finale` has a script that is so mature and complex that I only cottoned on to the plot `naunces` at an older age! Any comic would be proud of that story I reckon!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm

alanultron5 wrote:Too True Tony! "Operation I. Spy/Grab" the 1969/70 season `finale` has a script that is so mature and complex that I only cottoned on to the plot `naunces` at an older age! Any comic would be proud of that story I reckon!
Rather puzzling that DCT seem so reticent to reprint much of the material from Sparky and the other titles. Every year, we get a book of reprints from Beano and Dandy, but never Sparky, Topper, Beezer, Nutty or the rest. Most odd.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Digifiend Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:49 am

alanultron5 wrote:I bought a `Dandy Extreme` recently. Personally, I find it repulsive to a great degree! Maybe that's the way it felt it had to go-but `Survival at any cost`? Better to die with dignity in my view!

Can anyone confim please? Is the Beano re-running old `I.Spy` strips from the Sparky 1974-76 period?
As you'll know by now, that turned out to be a one-off in Beanomax.

What's with the doom talk anyway? True, the North Point Shopping Centre here has three newsagents and only one of them sells The Beano, but that's nothing compared to how hard it is to get Classics From The Comics. I know only one shop which sells that in Hull - WHSmith in Prospect Centre. Just that one branch.

Digifiend

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:10 am

Have to say, while it's been months since I've seen Dandy anywhere, the Beano is still pretty visible in these parts. I think you can probably count on it being in every newsagents in Ipswich even if the only other comic they still carry is Viz.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 am

The Dandy used to have far superior adventure strips to the Beano! The Beanos `Q.Bikes` `General Jumbo` `The Iron Fish` `Billy the Cat (Awful!!) did little for me-but Dandy had `The Purple cloud` `The Crimson Ball(magnificant!) `The Red Wrecker` `The Stinging Swarm` `The Umbrella Men` etc! More to my taste!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:35 am

alanultron5 wrote:The Dandy used to have far superior adventure strips to the Beano! The Beanos `Q.Bikes` `General Jumbo` `The Iron Fish` `Billy the Cat (Awful!!) did little for me-but Dandy had `The Purple cloud` `The Crimson Ball(magnificant!) `The Red Wrecker` `The Stinging Swarm` `The Umbrella Men` etc! More to my taste!
On the whole, I always preferred Dandy. I was a longtime Black Bob fan.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:33 pm

I didn't read The Dandy that much -- didn't seem as widely available as Beano, and tending to ignore it when spotted due to unfamiliarity. One Christmas ended up with a Dandy annual and really enjoyed it, but still didn't but the comics.

Should get a job lot of 'em from eBay really.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:13 pm

The Dandy was rather less anarchic than the Beano (or so it seemed to me) but somehow better written a lot of the time (or, again, so it seemed to me). It was the slightly less common brother of the Beano, I think.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:13 am

I actually found some of the Dandy stories and characters to be more mature than some of the Beanos. Anyone else feel the same?
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:21 am

Hourglass wrote:I actually found some of the Dandy stories and characters to be more mature than some of the Beanos. Anyone else feel the same?
Yes. As a kid, I always had this vague, indefinable feeling that Dandy was a slightly more 'grown up' comic than Beano (and similarly, that Topper had a more grown up feel than Beezer). I have absolutely no idea why, but I think there was more thought given to the stories in those two titles...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 am

Glad to see I wasn't the only one. I think often the stories had underlying messages in the Dandy rather than for cheap laughs. Desperate Dan always seemed to get in trouble but the resolutions often had a message to it.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:46 am

Hourglass wrote:Glad to see I wasn't the only one. I think often the stories had underlying messages in the Dandy rather than for cheap laughs. Desperate Dan always seemed to get in trouble but the resolutions often had a message to it.
Dan would be in deep trouble now if he tried wearing his six guns or smoking a cigar. Poor Dan...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 am

Not to mention being Politically incorrect for being Obese in a childrens comic.

Oh Tony theres a question I've been dying to ask. When I was around 12 I recall seeing on the news some outrage over a change in the characterization of the Bash Street kids. I looked around online but cant find anything about the change, only the outrage that followed it. Can you recall what exactly happened?
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:06 am

Hmm, not offhand. I'd have to look into that...
Unless anyone else can help?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Yeah it was a publicity stunt. They got made "nice" and moved into a new glass school with a robot teacher. It was around 1993... and the story was animated for one of the Beano Videos

Also when the "Desperate Dan no longer wears sixguns or eats cow pies in case it offends muslims" (quite apart from the fact muslims eat beef... now hindus on the other hand...) story first emerged the actual stories in the dandy were colourised 1940's reprints, and in that very week Dan stuffed a whole calf between a huge loaf of bread for a snack.

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by MR X Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:54 pm

DANDY was a very staid, archaic comic for a long, long time......reading it in the mid-late 60s, it looked 'reassuringly' archaic, and was just what the doctor ordered regarding a traditional UK comic.

The high calibre of the contributers [CHARLIE GRIGG, who done the excellent PURPLE CLOUD],ERIC ROBERTS and even the perplexing popularity of BULLY BEEF by JIMMY HUGHES delivered solid, reliable goods......as time went on , however, the comic was stuck in a 50s time-warp, that only subsided in 1982 when new editor DAVEY TORRIE held the reins, ushering in some new blood, including the excellent DAN update by KEN HARRISON in this period.
MR X
MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Reassuringly archaic does it for me every time, Mr X! I've never forgiven them for dropping The Jocks & the Geordies or cutting Bully Beef's hair... The BEANO: Is this the beginning of the end? 867270
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Some of these changes are stupid, like how Dennis no longer has his slingshot or picks on his rival anymore.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Hourglass wrote:Some of these changes are stupid, like how Dennis no longer has his slingshot or picks on his rival anymore.
Oh, he may be a menace but he's not allowed to be a bully!

Which, um, pretty much stops him being a menace, come to think of it...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Digifiend Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:19 am

True. In this week's strip for instance, all the mayhem he causes is accidental. No malicious intent.
felneymike wrote:Yeah it was a publicity stunt. They got made "nice" and moved into a new glass school with a robot teacher. It was around 1993... and the story was animated for one of the Beano Videos
Actually, it was 1994, the stunt was to celebrate the strip's 40th birthday.

Digifiend

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Ah I recall that video, used to own it myself. I think the Beano did two videos if I'm not mistaken.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by MR X Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:07 pm

I agree, Tony: BULLY BEEF looked more threatening---and funny-----in the original JIMMY HUGHES version........it must be harder to convey human emotion in a character with no visible eyes....thanks to his 1930s 'pudding-bowl' haircut, which was woefully anachronistic even in 1968!

Just goes to show how a strip can often never be topped after the original version......BOB NIXON took over the artistic duties around '87 or so, but though he was miles ahead of JIMMY artistically, his updated variant just never lodged in the memory the same.
MR X
MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:51 pm

There was something vaguely creepy about Beefy when you couldn't see his eyes...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MR X Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:45 pm

BULLY BEEF artist JIMMY HUGHES was often derided as a terrible artist [or rather, 'unappealling'] by many comics enthusiasts: OINK comic lampooned his style without mercy in one memorable late-80s satire, and even when I visited DC THOMSON throughout the 80s, I clearly remember one editor stating that they wouldn't give poor Jimmy 'hoose room' [a DUNDEE term, if ever there was one!]

I personally found Jimmy's work fairly entertaining---and memorable-----as a kid, but this could have been due to the overt sadism within the strip, which was definately popular in UK life: I had a mate in his early 20s who would read the BULLY BEEF strip only in the comic when he visited me.

Jimmy's stuff was very popular with DANDY readership, it must be recorded, with BEEFY and the JOCKS running an impressive second only to DAN in readers' popularity polls.
MR X
MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm

I think those two strips (Bully Beef and The Jocks & the Geordies) were probably my favourites, too-aside from Black bob, of course. Very, very different in style from the rest of Thomson's output at the time.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MR X Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:59 pm

I don't know if you are old enough to remember the pathos-rich story when BLACK BOB was blinded for a while, Tony? The sheepdog had a white band around his eyes, and had to function through hearing and wits alone......This tale possibly appeared
around the late 60s/ very early 70s, and in my view, this was essential dramatic comics-reading, under any circumstances.
MR X
MR X

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:09 pm

MR X wrote:I don't know if you are old enough to remember the pathos-rich story when BLACK BOB was blinded for a while, Tony? The sheepdog had a white band around his eyes, and had to function through hearing and wits alone......This tale possibly appeared
around the late 60s/ very early 70s, and in my view, this was essential dramatic comics-reading, under any circumstances.
I do remember it-I think I have part of it, somewhere! A similar fate befell Marney the Fox in IPC's Buster. Thankfully, both Bob and Marney recovered their sight.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MLP* Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:26 pm

The Beano Annual is reviewed in the book review section of the new issue of Private Eye (yes, really !) Surprised

Basically the reviewer bemoans some of the updating that has been done, particularly the watering down of Dennis.

He also takes a well deserved swipe and Dandy Xtreme too.

MLP*
MLP*

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I never even knew Ian Hislop was a fan!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MLP* Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Spotted The Beano in the supermarket today.
Seems to have been given a magazine style makeover and now looks more like Toxic than ever...
MLP*
MLP*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next