Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Characters Migrating from One Comic to Another

4 posters

Go down

Characters Migrating from One Comic to Another Empty Characters Migrating from One Comic to Another

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Reading through a few issues of Whoopee! following its merger with Cheeky Weekly, It suddenly struck me that several of the characters who mgrated to Whoopee! from Cheeky (Cheeky himself, Pongo Snodgrass Etc) actually originated in Krazy Comic, where Cheeky was a regular in the Krazy Gang strip. I also remembered (I think this is correct) that the Buytonic Boy from Cheeky Weekly later resurfaced in Jackpot, and I believe Jack Pott himself started out in another title several years earlier, too (Whoopee!, maybe?). So, excluding characters transferring over as a result of mergers, how many characters simply turned up in one title after starting out in another, I wonder? Anyone?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Characters Migrating from One Comic to Another Empty Re: Characters Migrating from One Comic to Another

Post by kembel Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Umm.....Plug?

Dan Dare?
kembel
kembel

Back to top Go down

Characters Migrating from One Comic to Another Empty Re: Characters Migrating from One Comic to Another

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:37 pm

kembel wrote:Umm.....Plug?

Dan Dare?
Plug! Yes, he went from Bash St to solo stardom in his own title, and then to The Beezer! I'd forgotten that. It was primarily the humour strips I was thinking of, though both Dan Dare and Rick Random qualify too, of course.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Where else did Rick Random show up?

Also there was only ever one version of Dan Dare. The other are purely imaginary Wink
(Edit: Oh no, wait a minute. The one true Dan did of course migrate from Eagle to Spaceship Away)

Sexton Blake was of course a serial migrator, he started out in The Halfpenny Marvel, shifting to Union Jack less than a year later. 11 years later he took it over! Then he popped up in the Penny Pictorial, got serialised in The Boys' Friend and The Boys' Herald and after many other short trips to other comics the Sexton Blake Library started. Then the comic strip appeared in Knockout from the first issue and ran until the 50's, before a limp sub-Scooby Doo version showed up in Valiant in the 60's. Then there was "Victor Drago" in Tornado in 79/80. With the car registration SB209. Meaning it was the 209th car to ever be registered in Argyll, Scotland. (There was also actually loads of other Sexton Fake's in other comics, BMC did a list of them at one point long ago). Oh and of course later resurfaced in fan-fiction form in something called The Red, White and Blue

Nelson Lee also passed through the Halfpenny Marvel, Boys' Friend, Boys Herald, Boys' Friend Library and finally landed in The Nelson Lee Library!

Edit again: And thinking of Spaceship Away reminded me of Vworp Vworp, and the fact Doctor Who migrated through several comics.

Last edited by felneymike on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remembered the small press!)

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Rick Random started life in Super Detective Library before showing up in 2000AD (where he did not get a welcoming reception). Doctor Who, of course, moved from TV Comic to Countdown/TV Action to Doctor Who Weekly, and has also appeared in numerous other Marvel titles as well as in a couple published by the BBC. Oh, and in the long running World Distributors annuals.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Minnie the Minx made a `guest` appearance in the Sparky strip "We Are The Sparky People" which was easy to do as it was the same artist!

What would be interesting if a character from one company made a visit to another companies strip! E.G I.P.C to Thomsons or vice versa!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down