Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Closing Time

4 posters

Go down

Rate Closing Time

Closing Time Vote_lcap0%Closing Time Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Closing Time Vote_lcap33%Closing Time Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 1 ]
Closing Time Vote_lcap67%Closing Time Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 3

Closing Time Empty Closing Time

Post by tony ingram Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:52 pm

A fun episode with some nice performances, i thought-but the real revelations were in the last five minutes! So, we've basically come full circle, and River Song is the Impossible Astronaut! Well, that may not have surprised many, but it was pretty well done...

Last edited by tony ingram on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Closing Time Empty Re: Closing Time

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Gods, Matt Smith is amazing.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:35 am

What an odd episode. Good fun for the most part, with lots of good jokes, marred by a very silly resolution that again renders the Cybermen a useless joke (are they ever going to get a decent episode in New Who?) and then wanders off into arc territory for an admittedly chilling but decidely jarring climax to set up next week's finale. Very odd indeed.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:25 am

codywillis1 wrote:What an odd episode. Good fun for the most part, with lots of good jokes, marred by a very silly resolution that again renders the Cybermen a useless joke (are they ever going to get a decent episode in New Who?) and then wanders off into arc territory for an admittedly chilling but decidely jarring climax to set up next week's finale. Very odd indeed.
Have the Cybermen had even one outstanding story since 1968? I think they're basically past their use by date as a concept. They were created for a specific reason, because of the concerns in the sixties about the then new field of transplant surgery. That concerrn no longer exists and all attempts to update the Cybermen have made them less and less frightening; they might just as well be robots, now. But I thought the story worked in spite of them.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:49 am

My favourite character was Alfie.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:54 am

Lucy McGough wrote:My favourite character was Alfie.
"He prefers Stormageddon".
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:43 am

I think Attack is outstanding, myself.
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:48 am

Yes, but mostly because of the guest cast and despite the Cybermen rather than because of them. They are basically crap in Attack, getting their heads knocked off or being killed by their own weapons.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by codywillis1 Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:48 am

Come on, what about the handcrushing scene? Single nastiest scene in all of Who bar none! Wink
codywillis1
codywillis1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:54 am

codywillis1 wrote:Come on, what about the handcrushing scene? Single nastiest scene in all of Who bar none! Wink
That was quite nasty. Though the presence of the Fat Controller robs the scene of some of its menace.

I'm not sure it was the nastiest scene, though. There are others which I think make more of an impact; a crazed Susan wielding scissors in The Edge of Destruction, for one.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes! That scissors scene is far worse! Because it is something that can happen in real life (Bar the setting in a Time Machine!)! Verity Lambert got a far bigger `telling off` for that scene than introducing the Daleks!

Now! closing time! A nice bit of fun and I quite enjoyed it- but! A Cyber ship crashed that deep down and no crater? Plus! The ship would have been atomised if it had hit the ground with force enough to go that deep!

Like most of this seasons eps-soon as you examine the practicalities of the plot-it falls to bits! Still, it was a nice 40 mins to pass the time. Afraid the last few minutes (Next weeks bit) dulled me senses!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:43 pm

It supposedly crashed centuries ago though (we know that the Cybermen have occasionally meddled with time travel, so that seems reasonable). Who's to say there wasn't an impact crater back then? Maybe it simply got buried. I don't necessarily think it would have been atomised, either, but it was clearly badly damaged.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Maybe thousands of years ago! By then erosion etc might have erased the crash scene! Just can't see even a `Graft` council building over a crater- foundations would be hell of a problem for one!

Ah! Its just my `logistics` bit of me brain nagging away! I spent months trying to work out all the plot discrepencies in `Ambassadors of Death` back in 1970-and I adored that story!

Good point made earlier in this thread (By Cody?) about Cybermen becoming redundant to the present series! Unless some writers can concoct a new direction for them- they will lose viewer interest.

John Nathan Turner rather made `Aunt Sally's` out of them in his time ("Five Doctors"!!) So its a point need adressing I think!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:30 pm

As I said earlier, I think the Cybermen were outdated by about 1970 (there has to be a reason why they were only used once in the 70's, and I think it's because the writers knew there was very little more to do with them). I'd give them a long rest at this point, I think.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down