Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Shadow

+2
BluesShark
Sam_Vimes
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Shadow - Page 2 Empty Re: The Shadow

Post by tony ingram Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Grendel looks like Venom.
Actually, it's more like Venom looks like Grendel.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:18 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Grendel looks like Venom.
Actually, it's more like Venom looks like Grendel.
For the record, Grendel dates back to 1982/1983; Peter Parker didn't receive his black symbiote costume (which evolved into what we now think of as Venom) until 1984.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:05 am

Ah. Interesting to know.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:55 pm

By the way, I saw elsewhere that the old The Shadow pulp magazine stories (not comic book stories) which were being collected and published by Anthony Tollin (a name that may be familiar to DC readers from back in the 1970s-1990s, especially for colo(u)ring and his text-pages in DC's The Shadow comics) under the Sanctum Books label are coming to an end.

This was posted on the Sanctum Books Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/sanctumbooks/) back on November 2nd:
An open letter to Sanctum Books customers: THE SANCTUM BOOKS SHADOW REPRINTS WILL END THIS DECEMBER WITH VOLUME 151.
Anthony Tollin and Will Murray are doing everything we possibly can to get as many Shadow novels completed as possible this month, and were waiting until mid-November to make an official press release announcement so that we could devote that time to trying to complete the reprint series rather than spending important deadline time answering questions. With very little notice, I learned last month that (A) the printing company that has printed all my books was closing down (has this past week completed its final printing job) and (B) Condé Nast would not renew rights and that I had to complete publication of new books before December 31st. (Please note that Radio Spirits and Dynamite have previously ceased releasing S&S OTR shows and Shadow comic books. Condé Nast did not make a fortune on this, and half of what they're received in royalties has been shared with the Gibson Estate! It's to Condé Nast's credit that they permitted this reprint project at all, along with Will Murray's new Doc Savage and Shadow novels.) And while Whitehall Printing had been giving me priority service and turning around books a week after proofs were okayed, the new printer will require the industry standard four-to-six weeks, meaning that all books would have to be to the printer BEFORE Thanksgiving! I've doubled up both the size and frequency of the final books and will publish FOUR double-sized, 200 page volumes by the end of the year at a slightly higher $19.95 list price. By doing so, Will Murray and I were able to schedule things so that ALL of Walter Gibson's and Theodore Tinsley's Shadow novels would be reprinted and the only leftovers are just three of Bruce Elliott's weaker entries. That also meant recruiting an additional proofreader (former STARLOG editor Dave Mcdonnell) because Joe Wrzos can't handle all of the extra volume, and a former Whitehall graphic "preflight technician" to aid in the final production work. Since I need to work double time to get all this extra work done by the middle of this month, I will NOT be making any further comments on this matter until then, because I simply have to devote my time to getting THE SHADOW #147-151 to the printer before then! Again, ALL of Gibson's and Tinsley's Shadow novels are being reprinted!
Note the mention in the letter that "Please note that Radio Spirits and Dynamite have previously ceased releasing S&S OTR shows and Shadow comic books."

If anybody is curious about the pulp magazine reprint stories, here are a few current links to pages from the (U.S. version) Previewsworld website:
* https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/Series/18873-SHADOW-DOUBLE-NOVEL
* https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/OCT192046
* https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/NOV191859
* https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/NOV191860
* https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC191845
* https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC191846

I've bought a couple in the past and enjoyed the change of pace from comic book stories, but some people may feel they're quite dated (and not always 21st century-politically correct). Me, I just keep in mind they're a product of their times.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:38 am

That's a bit of a shame, when they were so close to completing the set.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:06 pm

tony ingram wrote:That's a bit of a shame, when they were so close to completing the set.
Well, as was mentioned, they're expecting to have "ALL of Walter Gibson's and Theodore Tinsley's Shadow novels would be reprinted and the only leftovers are just three of Bruce Elliott's weaker entries" by the time all is said and done, so they should have all the stories really worth reading collected within the 150 issues they'll have put together. So that's better than nothing.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:37 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:That's a bit of a shame, when they were so close to completing the set.
Well, as was mentioned, they're expecting to have "ALL of Walter Gibson's and Theodore Tinsley's Shadow novels would be reprinted and the only leftovers are just three of Bruce Elliott's weaker entries" by the time all is said and done, so they should have all the stories really worth reading collected within the 150 issues they'll have put together. So that's better than nothing.
I know, but as a completist...well, y'know, a full set is a full set...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum