Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread)

+2
Lucy Ingram
tony ingram
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread)

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:But, but, but... the word 'you' is totally unnecessary in that sentence Sad
Bah. Get thee hence! Evil or Very Mad 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread)

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:03 pm

What is a hence and where do I get one from?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I think that's pretty much what happened. It was either that or the joke about Rebecca Adlington.

Which joke I didn't get. I admit, I thought the one about the Queen was funny, but I'm an American. And, for a reason I can't explain, I have a very broad but sometimes mean sense of humor. Which bothers me, but I can't seem to change it.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:56 pm

MajorHoy wrote:but is that what really happened or what people assume happened?

Everything I've read (I wanted to know why he wasn't on the newer ones) says that that is what happened. He said the BBC fired him for making jokes some people didn't like, and seemed to have backed up the observations some made.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:00 pm

tony ingram wrote:He's something of an acquired taste, I think.

I listened to one of his comedy concerts. Yeah, he's a bit raw, but I mostly liked it.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:What is a hence and where do I get one from?
You mean you never sang a song of six hence? (But why kiddies would have rye whiskey in their pockets never made any sense to me.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:34 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
You mean you never sang a song of six hence? (But why kiddies would have rye whiskey in their pockets never made any sense to me.)
I don't think it was actually intended to be whiskey. Not according to Agatha Christie, anyway.
Although with Christie, you never could tell...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
I don't think it was actually intended to be whiskey. Not according to Agatha Christie, anyway.
Although with Christie, you never could tell...
Crocked off her rocker, eh?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:47 am

Mbast1 wrote:Everything I've read (I wanted to know why he wasn't on the newer ones) says that that is what happened. He said the BBC fired him for making jokes some people didn't like, and seemed to have backed up the observations some made.
Yeah, there was one of those Daily Mail-led faux-outrage campaigns.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:58 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:Everything I've read (I wanted to know why he wasn't on the newer ones) says that that is what happened. He said the BBC fired him for making jokes some people didn't like, and seemed to have backed up the observations some made.
Yeah, there was one of those Daily Mail-led faux-outrage campaigns.
Was the Daily Mail ever caught up in those phone-hacking scandals?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Yeah, there was one of those Daily Mail-led faux-outrage campaigns.

So, is the Daily Mail like Fox here, where old people are conned into reacting to anything some of them don't like by complaining about the end of the world, and trying to stop anything from making them realize it's not the 1950s?
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Yeah, there was one of those Daily Mail-led faux-outrage campaigns.

So, is the Daily Mail like Fox here, where old people are conned into reacting to anything some of them don't like by complaining about the end of the world, and trying to stop anything from making them realize it's not the 1950s?
I think you've got the basic idea. Essentially: immigrants, foreigners, people on benefits and anyone in a political party are all out to destroy Britain, and what we really need to do is round them all up and hang them from lamp posts.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Also, everything in the universe either causes or cures cancer. The Daily Mail is the paper of hypochondriacs.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Also, everything in the universe either causes or cures cancer. The Daily Mail is the paper of hypochondriacs.
But does it have gratuitous shots of women wearing next-to-nothing?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:15 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Also, everything in the universe either causes or cures cancer. The Daily Mail is the paper of hypochondriacs.
Nah, you're thinking of The Sun. Or possibly The Star.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:28 pm

MajorHoy wrote:

Yes — on its website.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:45 pm

Back on topic:

Sub-Mariner
Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Namor

or

Aquaman
Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Morefun73milsplash
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Aquaman, the way he looked when he was was in Grant Morrison's JLA.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:14 am

Subby, for me. He's Marvel's original mutant hero, he can fly and command behemoths from the deep. Aquaman, on the other hand, talks to haddock.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:53 am

Aquaman can totally command whales and dolphins and giant squid and all sorts! Also, he has a hook for a hand.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:10 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Aquaman can totally command whales and dolphins and giant squid and all sorts! Also, he has a hook for a hand.
Only 90s Aquaman had a hook. But Namor has always had the Horn of Proteus. And wings on his feet.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:05 am

(a) Aquaman don't need no snecking horn. He can summon sea creatures using the power of his mind alone. This makes him objectively better than Namor, since he doesn't need accessories.
(b) What kind of marine deity/superhero has winged feet? Winged sandals are an attribute of Mercury, for crying out loud!
(c) Nineties Aquaman (as written by Grant Morrison) is my favo(u)rite Aquaman.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/102692/3346103-1353965-aquaman3.jpg
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:(a) Aquaman don't need no snecking horn. He can summon sea creatures using the power of his mind alone. This makes him objectively better than Namor, since he doesn't need accessories.
(b) What kind of marine deity/superhero has winged feet? Winged sandals are an attribute of Mercury, for crying out loud!
(c) Nineties Aquaman (as written by Grant Morrison) is my favo(u)rite Aquaman.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/102692/3346103-1353965-aquaman3.jpg
Yes. There's nothing quite as impressive as a bloke who spends his entire life swimming underwater, who nonetheless inexplicaby chooses to wear pointless but extremely heavy metal body armour on just one arm and side. Because that's not going to hamper his movement or drag him down in any way.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Who cares? It looks cool!
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Who cares? It looks cool!
Do you also wear ridiculously painful and impractical mile-high stiletto high heels because "they look bitchin' cool"?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:25 pm

I know I'll never look cool, but I'm not the king of Atlantis.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:00 pm

Okay, how about . . .

Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_mn42pvsze41qz4rgp

Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 All-new-batman-brave-and-bold-13-batman-dies-at-dawn

Robin?

* Golden Age Dick (who grew up to become . . . Robin)
Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Jla55h

* Silver / Bronze / Modern Age Dick (who grew up to become . . . Nightwing)

* Jason Todd (who died and became . . . Red Hood)

* Tim Drake (who became Red Robin, but now was never "adjective-less-Robin")

* Stephanie Brown (Spoiler / Robin / Batgirl / back to Spoiler soon)

* Damian Wayne (who grew up to become . . . no, wait, he didn't grow up; he's dead at the moment)

* Carrie Kelley (from The Dark Knight Returns)
Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Carrie_kelley-300x400

* Helena Wayne (from New 52 Earth 2; became Huntress on Prime Earth.)
Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Helena_Wayne_Robin_Earth_2_002

That should be enough . . . we won't worry about the others.

Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Tumblr_m7dl7i7YxD1qdni4c
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Robin of Earth Two, without a doubt.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:54 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Okay, how about . . .

I always liked the Golden Age Robin. Final costume, and Ambassador. Thought it was cool.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Okay, how about . . .

I always liked the Golden Age Robin. Final costume, and Ambassador. Thought it was cool.
Who is Better (Character Comparison Thread) - Page 2 Robin_Earth_2
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:17 pm

The pre-Crisis Jason Todd, as written by Doug Moench, was the only Robin I liked.
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Philip K Ditko wrote:The pre-Crisis Jason Todd, as written by Doug Moench, was the only Robin I liked.
I liked the original Jason (though not as much as the Earth Two Dick Grayson). Sadly, his post-COIE (or rather, post-Batman #400) incarnation was an obnoxious waste of space.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:39 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Philip K Ditko wrote:The pre-Crisis Jason Todd, as written by Doug Moench, was the only Robin I liked.
I liked the original Jason (though not as much as the Earth Two Dick Grayson). Sadly, his post-COIE (or rather, post-Batman #400) incarnation was an obnoxious waste of space.
But his pre-CoIE version was such a Dick-clone, right down to the circus background and parents killed by a bad guy (in this case, it was Croc when he was actually a criminal mastermind and not some dimwit hiding in the sewers all the time).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:42 pm

Maybe, but I still liked him better. Maybe it was just Moench's great writing on that run. It's still my favourite era for Batman.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Stephanie Brown, just because.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2