Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:02 am

Any Avengers fans out there? And more to the point, any who are still reading the book(s)?
The Avengers were never my favourite Marvel superteam (that dubious honour belongs to the Defenders) but they were always pretty close, though I can't help feeling they've lost some of their appeal in recent years since Brian Bendis basically destroyed the team and rebuilt it with his own pet characters. I still miss the Vision being a part of the core team, for instance. And for some reason, Wolverine and Spider-Man as Avengers really don't work for me.




tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Y'know, I really wanted to like the latest Avengers run by Hickman. But there are some characters that should be more involved but aren't; some that, I don't know, don't seem like they should be part of a mega-superteam; and then there's always the fear that stories will get sidetracked and sucked into the vortex of the latest Marvel pointless Crossover Event.  Crying or Very sad 


MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Nice knee pads, Cap.

Nice abs, Thor.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2153
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:51 am

I really don't understand the reasoning behind replacing established Avengers with characters like Cannonball, Sunspot, Smasher and Captain Universe (particularly when they're barely used) or introducing a new version of Hyperion when there are at least three floating around anyway. But most of all, I don't understand Cap suddenly adopting kneepads. Is he trying to emulate Judge Dredd?

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by Lucy McGough on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:58 am

Who on Earth is Captain Universe?

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2153
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Who on Earth is Captain Universe?
Traditionally, a dfferent random person every time who is granted the Unipower for a brief period and comes over all cosmic. At the moment, the Unipower (a manifestation of the Enigma Force) has apparently bonded permanently with a rather confused girl.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by Lucy McGough on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 am

Does she have any cool abilities?

And isn't Unipower the ability to drink 16 pints a night and still get a degree?

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2153
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:12 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Does she have any cool abilities?

And isn't Unipower the ability to drink 16 pints a night and still get a degree?
Captain Universe can do pretty much anything he/she/it can think of. Which is probably why very few writers use Captain Universe.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by Lucy McGough on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:39 am

Yeah, that's dumb.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2153
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by MajorHoy on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Does she have any cool abilities?

And isn't Unipower the ability to drink 16 pints a night and still get a degree?
Captain Universe can do pretty much anything he/she/it can think of. Which is probably why very few writers use Captain Universe.
But he could cause sooooooooo many desired retcons with the snap of his fingers . . . or playing "Swanee River" using his arm pit for the more major changes.

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Does she have any cool abilities?

And isn't Unipower the ability to drink 16 pints a night and still get a degree?
Captain Universe can do pretty much anything he/she/it can think of. Which is probably why very few writers use Captain Universe.
But he could cause sooooooooo many desired retcons with the snap of his fingers . . . or playing "Swanee River" using his arm pit for the more major changes.
Isn't a punch the accepted method? Or does that only work if you wear an 'S' shield?

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by MajorHoy on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:57 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Does she have any cool abilities?

And isn't Unipower the ability to drink 16 pints a night and still get a degree?
Captain Universe can do pretty much anything he/she/it can think of. Which is probably why very few writers use Captain Universe.
But he could cause sooooooooo many desired retcons with the snap of his fingers . . . or playing "Swanee River" using his arm pit for the more major changes.
Isn't a punch the accepted method? Or does that only work if you wear an 'S' shield?
It only works if you're a DC character.

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:48 am

Just heard that one of my favourite Avengers satellite books, Mighty Avengers, is shortly to be cancelled, but the largely pointless Avengers World is continuing. Great...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5734
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 47
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:11 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum