Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers)

5 posters

Go down

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers)?

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Vote_lcap0%Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Vote_lcap0%Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Vote_lcap100%Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 1

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Empty Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers)

Post by MajorHoy Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:00 am

Since including Steve would seem a tad . . . unfair, who else would be your favorite Captain America? (Though I'm also wondering how this list will play out.)

The list to choose from is:
* William Nasland (had been Spirit of '76; retroactively first replacement for Steve Rogers)
* Jeffrey Mace (had previously been The Patriot; took over after death of Nasland as Cap)
- - both of the above seen in What If . . . ? #4
* William Burnside (retroactively the 1950s Cap as revealed in Captain America #153 - 156 back in 1972)
* Roscoe Simons (briefly replaced Steve when Steve became Nomad; was killed off in Captain America #183 back in 1975)
* John Walker (was Super-Patriot; assumed the role of Captain America in issue #333 (1987) and then later became U.S. Agent wearing Steve's "The Captain" outfit)
* James Buchanan Barnes ("Bucky"; also uses the Winter Soldier identity . . . took on the identity of Captain America after Steve was shot and believed dead in 2007)
* Sam Wilson (better known as The Falcon)
* Shannon Carter, "American Dream" (from the MC2 Universe; see Captain America Corps)
* Kiyoshi Morales, "Commander A" (from the 25th Century; see Captain America Corps)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Empty Re: Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers)

Post by Silogramsam Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Since you don't have Captain Formerly-13-British-Colonies, can I vote for None of the Above?
Silogramsam
Silogramsam

Back to top Go down

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Empty Re: Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers)

Post by tony ingram Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Only just seen this!

For me, there's no question about it-John Walker. He's one of my favourite Marvel characters. Though he's a little too liberal for my tastes...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:56 am

tony ingram wrote:For me, there's no question about it-John Walker. He's one of my favourite Marvel characters. Though he's a little too liberal for my tastes...
I'm not sure if your definition for "liberal" would be the same thing as the definition of "liberal" here in United States politics?

The OED defines "liberal" as:
1. Willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.
1.1 Favourable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms.
1.2 (in a political context) favouring individual liberty, free trade, and moderate political and social reform.
Somehow, I'm not sure if/how exactly those would apply to the guy who became U.S. Agent.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:For me, there's no question about it-John Walker. He's one of my favourite Marvel characters. Though he's a little too liberal for my tastes...
I'm not sure if your definition for "liberal" would be the same thing as the definition of "liberal" here in United States politics?

The OED defines "liberal" as:
1. Willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.
1.1 Favourable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms.
1.2 (in a political context) favouring individual liberty, free trade, and moderate political and social reform.
Somehow, I'm not sure if/how exactly those would apply to the guy who became U.S. Agent.
I think perhaps you missed the joke. A surprising amount of British humour is based on irony.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:54 pm

tony ingram wrote:I think perhaps you missed the joke. A surprising amount of British humour is based on irony.
Ah, that's the problem: "irony" doesn't translate quite as well in a flat medium like internet messages without tone of voice or facial expressions to add to what is being "said".

Perhaps a Wink  would have helped in my comprehension.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:28 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I think perhaps you missed the joke. A surprising amount of British humour is based on irony.
Ah, that's the problem: "irony" doesn't translate quite as well in a flat medium like internet messages without tone of voice or facial expressions to add to what is being "said".

But that would have lightened the tone too much, irony and smilies do not go together in my opinion. Unless they are, themselves, being used ironically.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:21 am

MajorHoy wrote:Ah, that's the problem: "irony" doesn't translate quite as well in a flat medium like internet messages without tone of voice or facial expressions to add to what is being "said".

But lots of novels use irony.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Ah, that's the problem: "irony" doesn't translate quite as well in a flat medium like internet messages without tone of voice or facial expressions to add to what is being "said".

Perhaps Tony's response (now that it's been explained to me) felt more like sarcasm than what I think of as irony.

(Then again, being from across the pond, there's always the "chips" vs. "crisps" vs. "fries" thing . . . )
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:56 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:

Perhaps Tony's response (now that it's been explained to me) felt more like sarcasm than what I think of as irony.

(Then again, being from across the pond, there's always the "chips" vs. "crisps" vs. "fries" thing . . . )
This is obviously one of those cultural differences that creep up on you when you're not expecting them. Who was it that said Britain and America were two nations divided by a single language?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:30 am

Chips are what you have with fish fingers.
Fries are like chips, but thinner. You get them in McDonald's.
Crisps come in a bag and are a snack. You get them in different flavours, like ready salted, salt and vinegar, cheese and onion or prawn cocktail.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Chips are what you have with fish fingers.
The idea of fish with hands and fingers is a tad on the disturbing side . . .
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:36 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Fish Fingers are basically flattened cyclinders full of minced white fish sealed in a coating of breadcrumbs, and are frequently served with chips and ketchup. They are a traditional favourite of British kids.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:46 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
Fish Fingers are basically flattened cyclinders full of minced white fish sealed in a coating of breadcrumbs, and are frequently served with chips and ketchup. They are a traditional favourite of British kids.
I assumed as much, but over here we are more likely to have "fish sticks".
"Chicken fingers" are quite common here in the states . . . and there's also a creepiness factor if one actually imagines poultry with hands and appropriate appendages.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:18 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
I assumed as much, but over here we are more likely to have "fish sticks".
"Chicken fingers" are quite common here in the states . . . and there's also a creepiness factor if one actually imagines poultry with hands and appropriate appendages.
Ah, no! See, I've heard aAmericans refer to fish fingers as "fish sticks" before, but in Britain, Fish Sticks are something completely diferent; Surimi sticks, basically.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:05 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote: . . . over here we are more likely to have "fish sticks".
Ah, no! See, I've heard aAmericans refer to fish fingers as "fish sticks" before, but in Britain, Fish Sticks are something completely diferent; Surimi sticks, basically.
Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) 110518_10-omega3-fish-fingers_470x300
Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) FISH_STICKS_RIGHT_TRANSP
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote: . . . over here we are more likely to have "fish sticks".
Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) FISH_STICKS_RIGHT_TRANSP
Never seen those. The fish sticks I'm used to are a Surimi stick, red and white, eaten cold.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:24 pm

tony ingram wrote:Never seen those. The fish sticks I'm used to are a Surimi stick, red and white, eaten cold.
That's okay. I've never heard of "Captain Birds Eye" before.

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Uk_livesimplev2

This is what we think of in terms of "Birds Eye" over here.
Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) BE_Logo_Mnumonic

And, believe it or not, Clarence Birdseye, the guy who the company takes its name from, was apparently born in Brooklyn, NY (where my Dad was from) and then grew up in Montclair, New Jersey (where I grew up), even attending Montclair High School (which I graduated from, though he did it well before I was born).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:00 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Never seen those. The fish sticks I'm used to are a Surimi stick, red and white, eaten cold.
That's okay. I've never heard of "Captain Birds Eye" before.

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Uk_livesimplev2

This is what we think of in terms of "Birds Eye" over here.
Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) BE_Logo_Mnumonic

And, believe it or not, Clarence Birdseye, the guy who the company takes its name from, was apparently born in Brooklyn, NY (where my Dad was from) and then grew up in Montclair, New Jersey (where I grew up), even attending Montclair High School (which I graduated from, though he did it well before I was born).

The real Captain Birdseye...was American? Shocked

I feel like I've been lied to my whole life. pale
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 am

tony ingram wrote:The real Captain Birdseye...was American? Shocked

Well, I don't know if Clarence was ever a Captain.

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Bird1
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:19 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:The real Captain Birdseye...was American? Shocked

Well, I don't know if Clarence was ever a Captain.

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) Bird1
this is getting worse and worse!!!! Generations of British kids have grown up with the image of the kindly, white bearded old salt, sailing the seven seas feeding his prepubescent crew on his fish fingers and IT WAS ALL A LIE!!!! pale
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:But lots of novels use irony.

My brain makes THIS connection:

Blackadder:
Baldrick, have you no idea what "irony" is?

Baldrick:
Yes, it's like "goldy" and "bronzy" only it's made out of iron.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:41 pm

MajorHoy wrote:I assumed as much, but over here we are more likely to have "fish sticks".
"Chicken fingers" are quite common here in the states .

I combined those two to understand what the 11th Doctor was talking about in his premier episode...
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 am

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:I assumed as much, but over here we are more likely to have "fish sticks".
"Chicken fingers" are quite common here in the states .  

I combined those two to understand what the 11th Doctor was talking about in his premier episode...
Just for clarification: we don't normally eat them with custard.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:
"Chicken fingers" are quite common here in the states.
Custard?

Shocked

I thought people would more likely dip their fish-thingies in tartar / tartare sauce?

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) 51nh0RCcckL._SY355_
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:51 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:
"Chicken fingers" are quite common here in the states.
Custard?

Shocked  
Doctor Who in-joke. Guessing you haven't seen the episode Mike referenced?

I thought people would more likely dip their fish-thingies in tartar / tartare sauce?

Favorite Captain America (other than Steve Rogers) 51nh0RCcckL._SY355_
I think Tartar sauce is a bit too upmarket for fish fingers, really. It's ketchup or nothing.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:05 pm

tony ingram wrote:Just for clarification: we don't normally eat them with custard.

Wow, now I don't know what to believe any more.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Just for clarification: we don't normally eat them with custard.

Wow, now I don't know what to believe any more.
I'm still reeling from the Captain Birdseye scandal.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:58 pm

tony ingram wrote:I'm still reeling from the Captain Birdseye scandal.

The world is a confusing place
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down