Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA!

5 posters

Go down

More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! Empty More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA!

Post by tony ingram Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 am

DC are releasing a follow up to the original Liberty Files, featuring alternative versions of the Golden Age characters set in their original era, despite having previously updated and deaged the 'main' versions of the JSA, apparently on the grounds that they wanted the Golden Age gone and anyway, readers are only interested in contemporary stories. I have to wonder, if they think this project will sell, why can't they just give us back the original JSA in their WWII prime?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! Empty Re: More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA!

Post by Sam_Vimes Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:44 am

Because it would scare away the young people, of course.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! Empty Re: More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA!

Post by tony ingram Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:33 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:Because it would scare away the young people, of course.
I would have thought if they couldcope with an Elseworlds set in the 40s, they could cope with a mainstream book set there. Come to think of it, maybe Men of War would have lasted too, if it had been the original Sgt. Rock in his proper setting...

Last edited by tony ingram on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:36 am

Wait, they rebooted Sgt. Rock? I didn't know that. The New 52 just got even stupider in my eyes.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:48 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:Wait, they rebooted Sgt. Rock? I didn't know that. The New 52 just got even stupider in my eyes.
I believe it's now the grandson of Sgt Rock (who, of course, originally died a single man in 1945 and so wouldn't have had any kids). Because naturally, young people wouldn't want to read about WWII.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:57 am

More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! 514Y3RJCY9L._SX301_BO1,204,203,200_
About a year or so back I discovered the tpb of JSA: The Liberty Files at a neighboring town's library, so I borrowed it. It was different, but not bad (for an Elseworlds story).

I later bought a copy of
More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! 61ADMKMuzRL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_
JSA Liberty Files: The Whistling Skull, but still haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:43 am

Still haven't read it myself. Never even saw a copy, in fact.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:52 pm

tony ingram wrote:Still haven't read it myself. Never even saw a copy, in fact.

Thought this might be of interest:

https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-hints-at-the-death-return-of-the-justice-society-of-america/
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Still haven't read it myself. Never even saw a copy, in fact.

Thought this might be of interest:

https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-hints-at-the-death-return-of-the-justice-society-of-america/
Oh, now that is interesting! Haven't picked it up yet, but it's probably waiting in the file at Millennium Comics! Looks like things are finally starting to move on the JSA front...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Man, took that article a while to get to the point!

Still, it's Scott Snyder, and I've seen dead grass grow faster than the rate some of his stories progress. Maybe I'll have to keep an eye out for when his Justice League gets collected into a tpb if it turns out there's more than just that in other issues, but right now, who knows what (if anything) it will mean.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Man, took that article a while to get to the point!

Still, it's Scott Snyder, and I've seen dead grass grow faster than the rate some of his stories progress. Maybe I'll have to keep an eye out for when his Justice League gets collected into a tpb if it turns out there's more than just that in other issues, but right now, who knows what (if anything) it will mean.
Oh, c'mon! Can't you allow yourself a teensy weensy little moment of hope...? It'll feel good, I promise! Razz

And if we're still waiting in 2020, you can say "I told you so"...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:54 pm

tony ingram wrote:Oh, c'mon! Can't you allow yourself a teensy weensy little moment of hope...? It'll feel good, I promise! Razz

So I should be "hopeful" because I saw a panel where it appears that possibly Lex Luthor might be strangling somebody that dresses like Starman?

Yeah, this "hope" stuff does a lot of revolving around death and destruction, doesn't it . . . Rolling Eyes
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:12 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Oh, c'mon! Can't you allow yourself a teensy weensy little moment of hope...? It'll feel good, I promise! Razz

So I should be "hopeful" because I saw a panel where it appears that possibly Lex Luthor might be strangling somebody that dresses like Starman?

Yeah, this "hope" stuff does a lot of revolving around death and destruction, doesn't it . . . Rolling Eyes  
If Luthor killed Starman, that means Starman still existed! Isn't that good news?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:17 am

tony ingram wrote:If Luthor killed Starman, that means Starman still existed! Isn't that good news?
Somehow, the "he existed, but he's dead now!" argument isn't very uplifting . . .
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:31 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:If Luthor killed Starman, that means Starman still existed! Isn't that good news?
Somehow, the "he existed, but he's dead now!" argument isn't very uplifting . . .
We don't actually know he's dead...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:03 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
We don't actually know he's dead...
There's a lot we don't know yet from these little "hints", which is why it's way too early for me to be anywhere near "hopeful" yet.
(I was "hopeful" two years ago with DC Universe: Rebirth, and then my hopes were seriously damaged with Jay's brief reappearance/disappearance in the last issue of "The Button" crossover. I'm now annoyed by the teases followed by delays.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:08 pm

I'm just in a frame of mind where I'm thankful for what I can get.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:17 pm

tony ingram wrote:I'm just in a frame of mind where I'm thankful for what I can get.
At this point, I'll wait until we actually have something before I'm thankful . . .
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:48 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I'm just in a frame of mind where I'm thankful for what I can get.
At this point, I'll wait until we actually have something before I'm thankful . . .
We have Johnny Thunder and a magic Lantern! Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
So, will all of issue #6 be devoted to that?
More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! DD_CLOCK_Cv6_ds_300_b_5acd54b41b6786.47983291
DOOMSDAY CLOCK #6
U.S. Price: $4.99
On Sale: 8/29
The critically acclaimed super star team of writer Geoff Johns and artist Gary Frank continue this groundbreaking event as the Mime and the Marionette take center stage in DOOMSDAY CLOCK #6.
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/doomsday-clock-2017/doomsday-clock-6
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
So, will all of issue #6 be devoted to that?
More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! DD_CLOCK_Cv6_ds_300_b_5acd54b41b6786.47983291
DOOMSDAY CLOCK #6
U.S. Price: $4.99
On Sale: 8/29
The critically acclaimed super star team of writer Geoff Johns and artist Gary Frank continue this groundbreaking event as the Mime and the Marionette take center stage in DOOMSDAY CLOCK #6.
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/doomsday-clock-2017/doomsday-clock-6
I'm thinking the whole JSA thing will become prominent aroud the two thirds mark. issues eight or nine.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:54 pm

tony ingram wrote:I'm thinking the whole JSA thing will become prominent aroud the two thirds mark. issues eight or nine.
So, maybe after spending $40-$45 (U.S.) for the build-up?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:00 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I'm thinking the whole JSA thing will become prominent aroud the two thirds mark. issues eight or nine.
If I were structuring a twelve part story and knew there was a certain amount of interest in that aspect of it from a dedicated section of the fanbase, but that it wasn't necessarily the main draw for the general audience, that's how I'd do it.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:23 am

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
If I were structuring a twelve part story and knew there was a certain amount of interest in that aspect of it from a dedicated section of the fanbase, but that it wasn't necessarily the main draw for the general audience, that's how I'd do it.
I hope DC hasn't calculated their poultry before they have fully incubated and assumed guys like me would buy into this series right from the start in the hope that what I really want would show up about ¾ of the way in.
This is why Zeus created trade paperback collections.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:40 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
I hope DC hasn't calculated their poultry before they have fully incubated and assumed guys like me would buy into this series right from the start in the hope that what I really want would show up about ¾ of the way in.
This is why Zeus created trade paperback collections.
I think they are assuming that most people are buying it for the Watchmen connection, which they probably are. Us JSA fans are in the minority as far as that goes. Sad, but true, and DC are in it purely for the money.

Last edited by tony ingram on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:23 pm

tony ingram wrote: . . . and DC are in it purely for the money.
Oh, I know that.
But even though I'm more an exception than a rule when it comes to comics I would want to buy, this is why as time goes on, DC gets less and less of my money.
(And it's not a case of really shifting my allegiances to other publishers; it's that I would be willing to buy more DC books if they were producing more titles I want written by writers I don't mind spending my $'s on.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:31 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote: . . . and DC are in it purely for the money.
Oh, I know that.
But even though I'm more an exception than a rule when it comes to comics I would want to buy, this is why as time goes on, DC gets less and less of my money.
(And it's not a case of really shifting my allegiances to other publishers; it's that I would be willing to buy more DC books if they were producing more titles I want written by writers I don't mind spending my $'s on.)
Well, I guess at least it's saving you money (which leaves more to spend on back issues).
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:04 pm

tony ingram wrote:Well, I guess at least it's saving you money (which leaves more to spend on back issues).
But the ones I want aren't always easy to find these days at stores; I'm not sure if some stores aren't quite as interested in acquiring general collections of semi-old comic books since people can easily buy those as digital copies through the internet (and for less $'s).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:31 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Well, I guess at least it's saving you money (which leaves more to spend on back issues).
But the ones I want aren't always easy to find these days at stores; I'm not sure if some stores aren't quite as interested in acquiring general collections of semi-old comic books since people can easily buy those as digital copies through the internet (and for less $'s).
I think the best place for back issues these days is ebay, to be honest.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:35 pm

tony ingram wrote:I think the best place for back issues these days is ebay, to be honest.
Never bought anything on eBay. Prefer to not worry about buying things blindly and also having to include all the shipping costs in my purchase price.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:18 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I think the best place for back issues these days is ebay, to be honest.
Never bought anything on eBay. Prefer to not worry about buying things blindly and also having to include all the shipping costs in my purchase price.
I don't know how ebay US works, but on ebay UK (where I've been both buying and selling comics and collectibles for over ten years) shipping costs are right there up front and a lot of sellers offer free shipping anyway. As far as buying blind goes, you basically don't; you buy only from sellers who provide at least one photo of the actual item and a detailed description. If the item does not match the description or has defects not covered in it, the ebay resolution process is fairly quick and easy and 99% of the time will result in you being fully refunded, often without needing to return the item. I've generally found it useful, easy and painless. If not for ebay, I'd never have completed my Silver Age Avengers collection, back in the early noughties.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:47 am

My beautiful gold and diamond engagement ring came from eBay Smile
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:My beautiful gold and diamond engagement ring came from eBay Smile

You say that, and no picture? Well, I never.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:59 am

Mbast1 wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:My beautiful gold and diamond engagement ring came from eBay Smile

You say that, and no picture? Well, I never.
Maybe now that Photobucket seem to have reversed their insane decision about sharing images...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:23 pm

tony ingram wrote:Maybe now that Photobucket seem to have reversed their insane decision about sharing images...

You know, and this is a random comment I know, you can just never tell what service is going to work anymore. Rule changes seem so random.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:54 pm

MajorHoy wrote:More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! 61ADMKMuzRL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_
JSA Liberty Files: The Whistling Skull, but still haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
By the way, did finish reading it last night (well, technically early this morning since it was after midnight here . . . ) and . . .
the Elseworlds counterparts to the JSA barely appear in this at all (which I was aware of going in, but I didn't realize how teeny-weeny their role was).

More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! 27524710
More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! 27524712
More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! 27524711
More Liberty Files-But Still No Sign of the Real JSA! 27524810

But otherwise, it was a strange but somewhat-interesting story.
(Probably wouldn't have bought it, though, without that "JSA" connection in the title.)

Last edited by MajorHoy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:04 pm

I suspect this is another one I'll never bother with.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down