Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holidays.

+2
karatattoo
Lucy Ingram
6 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Holidays.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Holidays.

Post by MajorHoy Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Happy Halloween / All Hallows' Eve to everyone (though some communities in the tri-state area, which is parts of  New York, New Jersey, and the southwest part my state of Connecticut) are trying to delay any trick-or-treating until tomorrow because of how miserable the weather may be tonight).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:13 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Happy Halloween / All Hallows' Eve to everyone (though some communities in the tri-state area, which is parts of  New York, New Jersey, and the southwest part my state of Connecticut) are trying to delay any trick-or-treating until tomorrow because of how miserable the weather may be tonight).  
Being an avowed miserable bastard and, like a lot of Brits of my generation, deeply resentful of the country's adoption of American traditions like trick or treat, which we certainly never did here when I was a kid, I generally try to avoid Halloween. However, I've just picked up DC's new Ghosts 100 Page Giant, so maybe this year I'll have a good one after all. Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:02 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Happy Halloween / All Hallows' Eve to everyone (though some communities in the tri-state area, which is parts of  New York, New Jersey, and the southwest part my state of Connecticut) are trying to delay any trick-or-treating until tomorrow because of how miserable the weather may be tonight). 
Being an avowed miserable bastard and, like a lot of Brits of my generation, deeply resentful of the country's adoption of American traditions like trick or treat, which we certainly never did here when I was a kid, I generally try to avoid Halloween. However, I've just picked up DC's new Ghosts 100 Page Giant, so maybe this year I'll have a good one after all. Razz
I thought we got the idea from you guys, with ancient traditions like mummers in costumes going from door-to-door and expecting food or drink after performing short skits? Or what about your ancient custom of people traveling from house to house and asking for "Soul Cakes" at Allhallowtide?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:44 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
I thought we got the idea from you guys, with ancient traditions like mummers in costumes going from door-to-door and expecting food or drink after performing short skits? Or what about your ancient custom of people traveling from house to house and asking for "Soul Cakes" at Allhallowtide?
I think you're going back quite a way. By the time I was a kid, Halloween was only really thought of as a weird American thing. It's only really taken off over here in the last two decades.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:42 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:I thought we got the idea from you guys, with ancient traditions like mummers in costumes going from door-to-door and expecting food or drink after performing short skits? Or what about your ancient custom of people traveling from house to house and asking for "Soul Cakes" at Allhallowtide?
I think you're going back quite a way. By the time I was a kid, Halloween was only really thought of as a weird American thing. It's only really taken off over here in the last two decades.
So, not so weird then. Twisted Evil

(Now I bet some people are jealous it didn't catch on sooner!)

pirat
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:13 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:I thought we got the idea from you guys, with ancient traditions like mummers in costumes going from door-to-door and expecting food or drink after performing short skits? Or what about your ancient custom of people traveling from house to house and asking for "Soul Cakes" at Allhallowtide?
So, not so weird then.  Twisted Evil  

(Now I bet some people are jealous it didn't catch on sooner!)

pirat
It is to me. The last two decades basically feel like about a week.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:42 pm

tony ingram wrote:It is to me. The last two decades basically feel like about a week.

I have that same feeling, and it's really weird.
Unless I have a date to hook something to, I really only have a vague sense of time. Today, yesterday, the day before that, and "before"... That's about it. It all seems to blur together.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:29 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:It is to me. The last two decades basically feel like about a week.
I have that same feeling, and it's really weird.
Unless I have a date to hook something to, I really only have a vague sense of time. Today, yesterday, the day before that, and "before"... That's about it. It all seems to blur together.
Wait until you have more definite time stamps in your life.
Then you'll have pre-/post- references for things.
(With me, it's pre-stoke / post-stroke, though because I wasn't driving for about the first six years after my stroke it's also a pre-driving / driving again break as well to measure things.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:23 am

Well, it's Thanksgiving in the US. I know this isn't a holiday others might have, but I just want to say (again, I think) that I am thankful for this board and the people on it. Take care, all!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:57 am

Mbast1 wrote:Well, it's Thanksgiving in the US. I know this isn't a holiday others might have, but I just want to say (again, I think) that I am thankful for this board and the people on it. Take care, all!
If it counts, I'm thankful it's Friday!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:43 am

Mbast1 wrote:Well, it's Thanksgiving in the US. I know this isn't a holiday others might have, but I just want to say (again, I think) that I am thankful for this board and the people on it. Take care, all!

I completely agree, thank you very much Mike  Very Happy

tony ingram wrote:If it counts, I'm thankful it's Friday!

Yeah, there was a fun movie called Thank God it's Friday or so....do you remember that? cyclops
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:36 am

Barry_Allen wrote:

I completely agree, thank you very much Mike  Very Happy

tony ingram wrote:If it counts, I'm thankful it's Friday!

Yeah, there was a fun movie called Thank God it's Friday or so....do you remember that? cyclops
Reminds me of a favourite bit of British comics trivia. One of the most popular characters in 2000 AD for many years was Rogue Trooper, the story of a genetically engineered clone soldier (named Rogue) who goes AWOL to track down the traitor who killed his unit. In the nineties, they inexplicably rebooted the strip, giving us a physically near identical character, called "Friday", who had basically the same backstory but slightly updated. The new Rogue Trooper strip had none of the charm of the original, and was deeply unpopular. Within a few years, the strip was cancelled, and Friday was last seen vanishing into a black hole.
A while later, 2000 AD decided to revive the original Rogue in a series of flashback stories. The very first installment of the revived series began with a big splash panel showing a determined looking Rogue standing in a wasteland, about to rescue some endangered soldiers. Behind him were the remains of a wall.
And on the wall was a piece of graffiti reading "Thank God it's Not Friday". Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum