Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by MajorHoy on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:55 am

Well, The Invaders is returning, but with some changes.

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Invade10
NYCC 2018: Marvel's Invaders Returns With New Line-Up And Old Frenemies
Oct 04, 2018
With their 80th anniversary just around the corner in 2019, Marvel Comics is feeling kind of nostalgic it seems. Earlier today at New York Comic Con, the publisher announced the revival of Marvel Comics Presents next year. As well as the return of Crypt of Shadows, Journey Into Unknown Worlds, and War Is Hell. Now, Marvel goes back even further to some of their oldest heroes with The Invaders #1 (above).

From Marvel:
Writer Chip Zdarsky will team up with penciler Carlos Magno to bring the new story of the Invaders to life in INVADERS #1 in January 2019! Artist Butch Guice will create the cover; Mico Suayan and Alex Ross will provide variant covers.
Marvel's first super team made its first appearance in AVENGERS #71 back in 1969. The WWII-era team consisted of Captain America, Bucky Barnes, the Human Torch (plus his sidekick Toro), and Namor. The powerful foursome will reunite this winter -- with Bucky as the Winter Soldier and Namor as their enemy. INVADERS #1 will see Cap, Bucky, and Johnny Storm facing Namor down as the Sub-Mariner tries to unleash a new deadly threat.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/219446-NYCC-2018-Marvels-Invaders-Returns-With-New-Line-Up-And-Old-Frenemies

Issue #1 is due out January 16, 2019 with a $4.99 (U.S.) suggested retail cover price.

Variant covers include this one from Alex Ross:
Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Invade11

There's also suppose to be one described as "INVADERS #1 ROBBINS HIDDEN GEM VAR" using art from Frank Robbins? (https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/NOV180809)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by tony ingram on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Hang on...Johnny Storm? Where are Jim Hammond and Toro? They're still around, aren't they?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6589
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 49
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by MajorHoy on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:17 pm

tony ingram wrote:Hang on...Johnny Storm? Where are Jim Hammond and Toro? They're still around, aren't they?
I think Toro might still be with the Inhumans (something set up during the Robinson All-New Invaders run a few years back), but I don't know what's going on regarding Jim Hammond. There was something in a marvel.wikia posting about him no longer having flame powers but still being able to emit radiation as a result of events in Robinson's Squadron Supreme series (the same one where I think Namor was beheaded towards the beginning).

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Human_12
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by tony ingram on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:52 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Hang on...Johnny Storm? Where are Jim Hammond and Toro? They're still around, aren't they?
I think Toro might still be with the Inhumans (something set up during the Robinson All-New Invaders run a few years back), but I don't know what's going on regarding Jim Hammond. There was something in a marvel.wikia posting about him no longer having flame powers but still being able to emit radiation as a result of events in Robinson's Squadron Supreme series (the same one where I think Namor was beheaded towards the beginning).

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Human_12
They've appeared more recently than that, during Secret Empire (the Torch and Toro rescued Namor, though he wasn't very grateful). They should still be around, even though I think Hammond's powers are still very limited.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6589
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 49
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by MajorHoy on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:47 am

By the way, the writer (Chip Zdarsky) has since clarified that it will be Jim Hammond (and not Johnny Storm) that will be the "Human Torch" for this series.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by tony ingram on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:11 am

MajorHoy wrote:By the way, the writer (Chip Zdarsky) has since clarified that it will be Jim Hammond (and not Johnny Storm) that will be the "Human Torch" for this series.
>phew< Thank you...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6589
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 49
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by MajorHoy on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:36 pm

A few other variant covers for issue #1:

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Invade17
Mico Suayan variant

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Invade10
Quesada virgin variant

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Invade11
Skottie Young variant

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Invade12
Frank Robbins Hidden Gem variant
(previously used for the month of January on Marvel's 1976 Bicentennial Calendar)
Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Marvel19
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by tony ingram on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Ooh, that Frank Robbins piece is lovely! I still think he drew a wonderful Captain America. But why do they keep commissioning art from Skottie Young?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6589
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 49
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by MajorHoy on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:34 am

Bought and read issue #1 and there were some good parts to it. Butch Guice did art for the flashback scenes set during WWII, but I'm not quite sold on Carlos Magno's art for the present-day portions.
(Magno's art wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good, either.)
What was a bit annoying was that they seemed to be ignoring the idea of Toro completely. While I know he's been shunted off to the Inhumans in present-day stories, he didn't even seem to be mentioned or even seen for the parts pertaining to WWII.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Posts : 1592
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by tony ingram on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:37 am

MajorHoy wrote:Bought and read issue #1 and there were some good parts to it. Butch Guice did art for the flashback scenes set during WWII, but I'm not quite sold on Carlos Magno's art for the present-day portions.
(Magno's art wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good, either.)
What was a bit annoying was that they seemed to be ignoring the idea of Toro completely. While I know he's been shunted off to the Inhumans in present-day stories, he didn't even seem to be mentioned or even seen for the parts pertaining to WWII.
That irritated me, too! I enjoyed the rest of it, but where was Toro? Enquiring minds want to know!!!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6589
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 49
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by Sam_Vimes on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 am

I guess I finished the original Invaders run just in time. Weird that they're using Chip, though. Isn't he more of a comedy guy?
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Posts : 428
Join date : 2012-02-23
Age : 33
Location : Utah

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by tony ingram on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:38 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:I guess I finished the original Invaders run just in time. Weird that they're using Chip, though. Isn't he more of a comedy guy?
Seems to be working, though...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 6589
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 49
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019 Empty Re: Marvel re-launching THE INVADERS (again!) in 2019

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum