Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revelation of a black female Doctor Who?

4 posters

Go down

Revelation of a black female Doctor Who? Empty Revelation of a black female Doctor Who?

Post by MajorHoy Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:32 pm

I don't normally follow Doctor Who (sorry, Tony), but I'm seeing reports that an episode from January 26th ("Fugitive of the Judoon") apparently indicated there is a possible black female Doctor Who (played by Jodie Whittaker) who appeared as "a tour guide in the English city Gloucester named Ruth Clayton" in the episode?

One other article I saw seemed to indicate there have been . . . mixed reactions . . . to the possibility?

By the way, here's a link to an article from CNN (not the one that mentioned any negative feedback yet) that was originally posted on January 27th (2020): https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/27/entertainment/doctor-who-black-woman-jo-martin-trnd/index.html
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Revelation of a black female Doctor Who? Empty Re: Revelation of a black female Doctor Who?

Post by Barry_Allen Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:25 am

Sounds interesting MajorHoy, Doctor Who airings are quite erratic here, so usually I am not understanding what's happening in the current aired season, but I am enjoying the single episode when I am able to see it in full....! Smile
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Revelation of a black female Doctor Who? Empty Re: Revelation of a black female Doctor Who?

Post by Mbast1 Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:17 pm

MajorHoy wrote:apparently indicated there is a possible black female Doctor Who (played by Jodie Whittaker) who appeared as "a tour guide in the English city Gloucester named Ruth Clayton" in the episode?

I saw the episode, and that seems to be the case.

MajorHoy wrote:One other article I saw seemed to indicate there have been . . . mixed reactions . . . to the possibility?

I have a friend who won't watch Doctor Who because the current Doctor is a woman. Then again, he also won't watch Star Wars. People like what they like, I guess.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:05 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:One other article I saw seemed to indicate there have been . . . mixed reactions . . . to the possibility?
I have a friend who won't watch Doctor Who because the current Doctor is a woman. Then again, he also won't watch Star Wars. People like what they like, I guess.
Well, I can sometimes understand when people don't like when a white male character is replaced by another character of a different race/gender but is suppose to be the exact same character because, let's face it, they're really not. If the people who write / produce something want a more inclusive cast, they should just introduce a brand-new character to fill those needs.
However, Doctor Who may be a little different because the character has already been replaced by several different actors already, and the change in who "Doctor Who" is is actually part of the character's back-story, so that one is a little easier to deviate from with who portrays Who (at least to my way of thinking). It's not like when they replace a character on, say, a soap opera with a different actor but they still pretend it's the exact same person.

As for Star Wars, I only watched the first three movies that were released (which turned out to be parts 4-6) when they were initially shown in theaters and enjoyed those. Haven't really felt the need or desire to watch any other parts since then.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:21 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:
Well, I can sometimes understand when people don't like when a white male character is replaced by another character of a different race/gender but is suppose to be the exact same character because, let's face it, they're really not. If the people who write / produce something want a more inclusive cast, they should just introduce a brand-new character to fill those needs.
However, Doctor Who may be a little different because the character has already been replaced by several different actors already, and the change in who "Doctor Who" is is actually part of the character's back-story, so that one is a little easier to deviate from with who portrays Who (at least to my way of thinking). It's not like when they replace a character on, say, a soap opera with a different actor but they still pretend it's the exact same person.

Of course you're right, I still remember when in soap opera The Bold and The Beautiful (at time super popular here in Italy, where it is still known simply as "Beautiful") they changed the actor who played Ridge's brother Thorn; it made really big news also in real tv news Exclamation then the actor was changed again several times, as for many other characters during the years...
Back on topic, I have this memory of my youth but I don't remember well: wasn't the Universe of Doctor Who supposed to end after the 12th or 13th Doctor? And the authors then found a trick to overcome it and keep the series going?  Suspect  Smile
MajorHoy wrote:
As for Star Wars, I only watched the first three movies that were released (which turned out to be parts 4-6) when they were initially shown in theaters and enjoyed those. Haven't really felt the need or desire to watch any other parts since then.
Me too (for the original Star Wars trilogy), then we went (with friends and great expectations.. Mad  ) to see Episode 1 and it was like all of you already know....after that (and Jar-Jar Binks... Evil or Very Mad ) I decided to not give Lucasfilm more money and watched Episode 2 for free in a afternoon in a shopping center near home and (I watched) the third episode on free TV, now out I am out for SW so I'll watch the Mandalorian when it will be aired on local free televisions...
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:41 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Well, I can sometimes understand when people don't like when a white male character is replaced by another character of a different race/gender but is suppose to be the exact same character because, let's face it, they're really not. If the people who write / produce something want a more inclusive cast, they should just introduce a brand-new character to fill those needs.

Well, not to get too deeply into this, most fans of comics (in particular) reject new characters pretty quickly. So, if the producers want to keep their IP (often why a change is made) and gain new followers, this seems like a good choice. If it works. Again, it often doesn't.

MajorHoy wrote:Haven't really felt the need or desire to watch any other parts since then.

I was just using that as an example. He, like others I've known, rejects almost any change. Which is fine, not my place to judge, but companies want to sell things, and the older audiences won't be around forever. So they make changes.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:55 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:wasn't the Universe of Doctor Who supposed to end after the 12th or 13th Doctor? And the authors then found a trick to overcome it and keep the series going?

Yes, sorry I didn't see this earlier. There is a limit to the number of regenerations each Time Lord has. The Doctor reached his, but he got another "set" from the Gallifreyans, which led to Capaldi's version.
As of this last season?!?
Mbast1
Mbast1

Barry_Allen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:36 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
Barry_Allen wrote:wasn't the Universe of Doctor Who supposed to end after the 12th or 13th Doctor? And the authors then found a trick to overcome it and keep the series going?

Yes, sorry I didn't see this earlier. There is a limit to the number of regenerations each Time Lord has. The Doctor reached his, but he got another "set" from the Gallifreyans, which led to Capaldi's version.
As of this last season?!?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:45 pm

Hey Tony, you wanted to say something about this argument, there is a blank space in your post here above, after the quoted text, I imagine by mistake...or not? Rolling Eyes
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 am

Barry_Allen wrote:
Hey Tony, you wanted to say something about this argument, there is a blank space in your post here above, after the quoted text, I imagine by mistake...or not? Rolling Eyes
Yes, not sure what happened there. Te Doctor got a new set of regenerations in 2013 because he was on is last life, but this latest revelation appears to basically invalidate all of that; if he'd already had countless lives before we met him, it seems unlikely he'd run out in 2013.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:05 pm

tony ingram wrote:but this latest revelation appears to basically invalidate all of that; if he'd already had countless lives before we met him, it seems unlikely he'd run out in 2013.

Well, I think this is just on the current showrunner. It definitely invalidates what came before (same with the Master, Missy's death was supposed to be IT for The Master), but I think the showrunner just wanted to do something and didn't much care about the effect on the entire continuity.
Years ago, and I would be Tony knows more about this than I do, I read about the Cartmel (I think that's the spelling) master plan, and this looks as if Chibnall read it and thought he'd adapt if for his ideas.
I'm quite willing to see where this goes, but I can see how long-time fans might not like it.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:08 pm

It has divided the fan base more than any other development I can think of, even the arrival of the female Doctor didn't have most of the longtime fans this incensed.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 04, 2021 4:42 pm

tony ingram wrote:It has divided the fan base more than any other development I can think of, even the arrival of the female Doctor didn't have most of the longtime fans this incensed.

I wouldn't be surprised, though I have one friend (who got me into Doctor Who in the first place) who will no longer buy ANYthing BBC does since they announced a female Doctor.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down