Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character

+4
Lucy Ingram
Silogramsam
Sam_Vimes
GBF
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_lcap0%Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_lcap30%Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 3 ]
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_lcap20%Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_lcap0%Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_lcap10%Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_lcap10%Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_lcap30%Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 10

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Empty Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character

Post by tony ingram Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Just to complete the set: who are your favourite American comics characters from publishers (past or present) other than the 'big two', and what makes them special? For me...well, I'm a fan of a lot of characters and a lot of genres, from the Charlton superheroes to Francine & Katchoo from Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise, but I'm going with Phantom Lady. Just because...

As usual, there's a poll, but feel free to go for characters of your own choice instead of those few represented here.

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Phantomlady17

Last edited by tony ingram on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Empty Re: Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character

Post by GBF Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:13 am

Chaykin's 'Flagg' was good...
GBF
GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Empty Re: Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:52 am

GBF wrote:Chaykin's 'Flagg' was good...
I agree, from what I remember. though I never read a lot of Flagg, oddly enough. American Flagg, Grimjack and various others from that stable were around at a time when I was buying an awful lot of comics-Marvel, DC, Eclipse and Fantagraphics among them-and for some reason the others were always a higher priority. I'll have to revisit the series sometime. I love Chaykin's work on characters like Dominic Fortune and Blackhawk...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:04 am

I met Chaykin in 1984 - he was a bit pompous, arrogant...but he's good!!
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:03 pm

GBF wrote:I met Chaykin in 1984 - he was a bit pompous, arrogant...but he's good!!
How long has he been around, now? He must have started in comics about 1971 or '72...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Yes - easily. He just turned 60!
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:15 am

I'm torn between Cerebus, Fone Bone, and The Savage Dragon. Then again, isn't Cerebus Canadian? Ah, then I guess it's down to Fone and Dragon. . .decisions, decisions. . . .

Wait, no, screw that. Scrooge McDuck is my answer. I must not have been thinking.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:18 am

Well, I think here it comes down to how you define "American". I suspect that to a lot of Europeans, an American comics character is any character published on the North American continent! Wink
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 am

Oh! Well, in that case. . .no, it's still Scrooge. But Cerebus is SO close.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Silogramsam Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:48 pm

The Spirit
Silogramsam
Silogramsam

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:03 pm

tony ingram wrote:
GBF wrote:I met Chaykin in 1984 - he was a bit pompous, arrogant...but he's good!!
How long has he been around, now? He must have started in comics about 1971 or '72...
I read some of Chaykin's American Flagg, but I would take Ostrander's Grimjack over Flagg any day of the week! (And if you've ever met him, John's a really nice guy.  Smile  )

As for the options to choose from . . . too many to narrow it down. Just from the poll, I could easily vote for Captain Marvel (Fawcett) or Phantom Lady (Fox or Quality) or Airboy (Hillman or Eclipse) or Plastic Man (Quality) or Blackhawk (Quality) or The Spirit . . . and going beyond that, Mandrake the Magician, Dick Tracy, Dave Steven's Rocketeer, The Justice Machine, The Mighty Crusaders, FemForce, . . .

Sorry, can't choose just one.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Good grief, somebody else read Fem Force! I'm glad I wasn't alone! (I rather liked Justice Machine, too. Though I preferred Mark Evanier's DNAgents)
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:12 pm

tony ingram wrote:Good grief, somebody else read Fem Force! I'm glad I wasn't alone! (I rather liked Justice Machine, too. Though I preferred Mark Evanier's DNAgents)
Crossfire over DNAgents for me.

Then there was also The Champions / League of Champions with Flare . . . and anybody remember Roachmill?

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 51B9UyQHTaL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_

Last edited by MajorHoy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : replacing lost image)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Roachmill is a new one on me. I've heard the name, but I'm sure I'd remember if I'd ever seen that... Shocked 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:29 pm

tony ingram wrote:Roachmill is a new one on me. I've heard the name, but I'm sure I'd remember if I'd ever seen that... Shocked 
After Blackthorne, I believe Dark Horse picked up the character, but it was in the days when there were plenty of b&w comic books from independents here in the U.S.

Another one I liked:
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 2777336-protectors_handbook

The Protectors from Malibu, using many Golden Age, public domain characters (many, many years before Dynamite's Project Superpowers).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Ah, now that one I remember!
Did you ever read the Americomics revival of the Sentinels of Justice?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silogramsam Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:22 pm

I also liked the original Peter Cannon although, as with all things Charlton, I didn't like lettering which always bothered me as I read the stories. Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character PeterCannonThunderbolt1I also liked Dynamo by Wally Wood.Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 1405673-dynamoAs a kid, I liked this guy once I got over the nausea of seeing this for the first time (and realizing that he was not human - not surprisingly, this Captain Marvel was created by Burgos, the creator of the original Human Torch, also an android)Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Capmarv1
Silogramsam
Silogramsam

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:47 pm

I actually have that first issue of the MF Enterprises Captain Marvel! It also features a villainous, green clad character called Plastic Man! Razz 

Getting back to Charlton, I rather liked the little in joke "lettered by A. Machine"...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 pm

tony ingram wrote:Ah, now that one I remember!
Did you ever read the Americomics revival of the Sentinels of Justice?
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Americ13
I bought that (as a back issue) when I was getting a lot into a lot of AC Comics.  
Also liked
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 310657-20571-123269-1-americomics

and

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 22450-3549-25047-1-captain-paragon-and-

Last edited by MajorHoy on Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : replaced malfunctioning, anti-social image)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Silogramsam Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 66970-11401-99967-1-archie-as-capt-purethen there's this
Silogramsam
Silogramsam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Was his strength as the strength of ten?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:39 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Was his strength as the strength of ten?
Ten what?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:02 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Was his strength as the strength of ten?
Ten what?
No, ten watts isn't very strong at all.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:35 am

"My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten
Because my heart is pure."

Sir Galahad, Tennyson.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:39 am

Lucy McGough wrote:"My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten
Because my heart is pure."

Sir Galahad, Tennyson.
Oh, him. Sir Galahad's no superhero. He's not even as strong as Captain Ultra.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:52 am

(a) How strong is Captain Ultra?
(b) Has Captain Ultra ever found the Holy Grail?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:18 am

a) Very. He has ultra strength.
b) No, but then, nobody's ever asked him to.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:47 am

It can only be found by the pure in heart. I bet his heart isn't pure.

How strong is ultra strength?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:29 am

Lucy McGough wrote:It can only be found by the pure in heart. I bet his heart isn't pure.

How strong is ultra strength?
I believe it's less strong than super strength, but better then compu-puncture hyperpower.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:39 pm

So ultra strength is not the ne plus ultra. Humph. They need to think of a better name.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:So ultra strength is not the ne plus ultra. Humph. They need to think of a better name.
Maybe All-New über-strength?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:30 pm

I'd be happy with that.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:13 pm

tony ingram wrote: . . . Getting back to Charlton, I rather liked the little in joke "lettered by A. Machine"...
Speaking of Charlton, . . .

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Eman-1

and

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 13676-2724-15330-1-vengeance-squad
(you can read that issue here)

Last edited by MajorHoy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : replacing cover image that, over the years, can't find itself anymore)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Whatever happened to E-Man and the lovely Nova Kane?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:48 pm

tony ingram wrote:Whatever happened to E-Man and the lovely Nova Kane?
Dick Tracy?

Actually, I know after Charlton they wound up at First Comics
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character E-man-v2-1-cover

Then Comico
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character E-Man%201

After that it looks like Alpha Productions was next
Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character Alpha-productions-e-man-returns-issue-1b

and something called Digital Webbing more recently?

But since Joe Staton is currently doing the Dick Tracy comic strip, who knows if E-Man will ever get revived again in the foreseeable future?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Nova Kane???
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Nova Kane???
It wasn't her fault, poor love.

I remember the First Comics series very fondly. Never read the later ones.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Harvey Comics: Jigsaw Man of a Thousand Parts.

I only ever saw one or two issues of this in the mid 1960s.
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:17 pm

karatattoo wrote:Harvey Comics: Jigsaw Man of a Thousand Parts.

I have never even heard of him...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:20 pm

tony ingram wrote:
karatattoo wrote:Harvey Comics: Jigsaw Man of a Thousand Parts.

I have never even heard of him...
The Harvey Comics superhero line in the mid-1960s didn't last much longer than a few issues.

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 8157-2285-9007-1-double-dare-adventur

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 7969-2287-8799-1-jigsaw

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 7970-2289-8800-1-spyman

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 7362-2234-8098-1-unearthly-spectacula

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 8161-2234-9011-1-unearthly-spectacula

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 8160-2233-9010-1-thrill-o-rama

and there were others, I think.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Unbelievable! An entire line of superhero titles I knew nothing about! I want them!! Shocked 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:13 pm

tony ingram wrote:Unbelievable! An entire line of superhero titles I knew nothing about! I want them!! Shocked 

WHAT??? An entire line of superhero titles you knew nothing about! 

Tony, I'm shocked(And I think it's kinda cool that I first brought them to your attention)!!!

You owe me, my friend.
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:46 pm

tony ingram wrote:Unbelievable! An entire line of superhero titles I knew nothing about! I want them!! Shocked 
I'm assuming you're at least familiar with the Atlas line of comic books from the 1970s?

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 562551-demonhunter_1

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 308858-20550-123069-1-the-scorpion

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 13376-2814-14999-1-phoenix

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 13452-2807-15085-1-destructor-the

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 13374-2810-14997-1-grim-ghost-the

Favourite Non-Marvel or DC American Comics Character 13375-2812-14998-1-iron-jaw

and there were others . . .
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:55 am

Very much so, I still have a box of them somewhere. The Scorpion and Demon Hunter, of course, ended up reappearing at Marvel as Dominic Fortune and Devil Slayer. The Atlas line also had the book with possibly my favourite comic title ever (though admittedly, the title was the only memorable thing about it, aside from some nice cover art): Planet of Vampires.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:57 am

"Born of fury! Sworn to vengeance!"

Looks like Nick Fury has a son.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:19 am

Lucy McGough wrote:"Born of fury! Sworn to vengeance!"

Looks like Nick Fury has a son.
Nick actually has...or had...two sons, Nick Fury Jnr (who is bald, bearded and black) and the late Mikel Fury. Neither of them ever wore an outfit like that, though.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:04 pm

"To be bald, bearded and black,
Oh what a lovely precious dream..."
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:"To be bald, bearded and black,
Oh what a lovely precious dream..."
He's probably not fully bald . . . probably shaves his head to hide a receding hairline . . .
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:12 pm

My friend's got a receding hairline and he's younger than I am.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:25 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:My friend's got a receding hairline and he's younger than I am.
I remember when I went to my 10th high school reunion and some guys had noticeable balding . . . I've still got a decent head of my own hair 25 years after that.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next