Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel has a character who... What?

+2
Sam_Vimes
Spektre
6 posters

Go down

Marvel has a character who... What? Empty Marvel has a character who... What?

Post by Mbast1 Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:52 am

I just read about a Marvel character. His name is Penance. He used to be Speedball, and was involved in the explosion that killed many people and triggered the Civil War storyline. He was presumed dead, found alive but powerless. It's found, when he's shot and in pain, that he has powers, and they work off his pain. So now, he's presumed mentally ill, and wears armor that STABS HIM to get his powers to work.
Ok, maybe I'm being weird about this, but doesn't this seem a bit, um, much, for a superhero? It sounds as if someone has been reading about too many medieval saints. Just bizarre.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Marvel has a character who... What? Empty Re: Marvel has a character who... What?

Post by Spektre Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:29 am

Sounds like someone reading the New 52.
But yes that does not sound like a fun or interesting character.
Spektre
Spektre

Back to top Go down

Marvel has a character who... What? Empty Re: Marvel has a character who... What?

Post by tony ingram Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:32 pm

"Fun" and "interesting" are not words I would associate with Penance. But then, I also wouldn't associate them with the original Speedball character. Penance was a desperate attempt to make a lame character edgy and cool. Unsurprisingly, it did neither.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 am

Well, it may have made him edgey, but only literally.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:32 pm

tony ingram wrote:Penance was a desperate attempt to make a lame character edgy and cool. Unsurprisingly, it did neither.

I don't know. I am someone who actually likes a lot of the "deconstructionist" superhero stories, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised or care, but this is mainstream stuff. It just seems too blatant an attempt to make him edgy, as you said, but it just seems creepy. Really creepy.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Well, it may have made him edgey, but only literally.

I don't know what this says about me, but as bad as this joke was, I liked it.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Thank you Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Sat May 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Yes, three cheers for Lucy's joke. Top-notch, Lucy!

Oh, yeah, and Penance is awful. As one of three people who would call themselves a Speedball fan I was quickly and efficiently alienated.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 05, 2013 7:29 am

Speedball has fans? Shocked

I could understand being a fan of Neils the bouncing cat, but Speedball?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:Yes, three cheers for Lucy's joke. Top-notch, Lucy!
Thanks, Commander Smile

tony ingram wrote:Speedball has fans? Shocked

Everybody has fans. Even Zauriel. Heck, there are people who cosplay as Aquaman.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:
Sam_Vimes wrote:Yes, three cheers for Lucy's joke. Top-notch, Lucy!
Thanks, Commander Smile

tony ingram wrote:Speedball has fans? Shocked

Everybody has fans. Even Zauriel. Heck, there are people who cosplay as Aquaman.
Yes, but I've always seen Aquaman fans as habitual supporters of the underdog.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Underfish?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Underfish?
Wasn't he Aqualad's little known sidekick? Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 05, 2013 1:32 pm

I think you're confusing Aqualad with Disney's Little Mermaid, who did have a fish as a sidekick. Confusingly, the fish was called Flounder but wasn't actually a flounder.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I think you're confusing Aqualad with Disney's Little Mermaid, who did have a fish as a sidekick. Confusingly, the fish was called Flounder but wasn't actually a flounder.
Ah, of course.

Aquaman and Aqualad had Topo the octopus and a couple of giant seahorses(!) called Storm and Imp (which they put bridles on and rode. Because that looks so much cooler than swimming).
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Storm is an awesome name for a seahorse. I want a giant seahorse called Storm.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Storm is an awesome name for a seahorse. I want a giant seahorse called Storm.
Poor Imp never gets any respect...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 05, 2013 1:43 pm

That's because it's a silly name. A noble steed should be called something like Silver or Thunderbolt.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:That's because it's a silly name. A noble steed should be called something like Silver or Thunderbolt.
Yes.

Or Dennis.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Nobody should be called Dennis, (sea)horse or human.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Dennis Potter was called Dennis, and he was a great dramatist.
Dennis the Menace is called Dennis, and he's an iconic character.
Dennis O'Neill was one of the best Batman writers
and Dennis Nilsen was a very successful..erm, well, he was very successful in his chosen field.

Many very notable people have been called Dennis.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Dickens has a character called Dennis, in Barnaby Rudge. He's a hangman who ends up being hanged himself for taking part in the Gordon Riots.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Well, there you go, then! A hangman, a serial killer, an iconic juvenile delinquent and the bloke who wrote The Singing Detective! What more proof do you need that Dennis's are an asset to society?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon May 06, 2013 5:28 am

tony ingram wrote:Well, there you go, then! A hangman, a serial killer, an iconic juvenile delinquent and the bloke who wrote The Singing Detective! What more proof do you need that Dennis's are an asset to society?

Yeah, sometimes I become sorry I start these conversations...
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Well, there you go, then! A hangman, a serial killer, an iconic juvenile delinquent and the bloke who wrote The Singing Detective! What more proof do you need that Dennis's are an asset to society?

Yeah, sometimes I become sorry I start these conversations...
You're just jealous because there are no famous hangmen called Mike.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 pm

tony ingram wrote:You're just jealous because there are no famous hangmen called Mike.

Well, yeah. But I don't see what that has to do with anything!

(This is weird, but I was in a used bookstore yesterday, and there were two people there talking about exactly the topic I brought up here, Speedball and Penance. Both thought it was an odd thing to do to a character. I didn't join in but I thought it was a funny coincidence. )
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 am

This is the company that made a minor costumed thief called the Scarecrow into a demon possessed serial killer and a long running Spider-Man supporting character into a double amputee bonded to a hostile alien who became a covert government agent. Not to mention turning almost all of the Hulk's supporting cast into Hulks. Marvel have never been known to let good taste or common sense get in the way of a story. Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu May 09, 2013 12:32 am

I actually rather like Flash Thompson as Venom, I have to admit.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 09, 2013 7:07 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:I actually rather like Flash Thompson as Venom, I have to admit.
I just didn't like the contrived way he ended up like that. One day he'd just come out of a coma he'd been in for months and was having therapy, and the next he had apparently rejoined the Army, done a tour of the Middle East and had his legs blown off, apparently between issues!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Mon May 13, 2013 9:07 am

Well, they don't want to BORE us with that kind of stuff, now, do they? Wink
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 13, 2013 9:24 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:Well, they don't want to BORE us with that kind of stuff, now, do they? Wink
Sounds to me like Flash had a pretty interesting couple of weeks, actually!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:13 am

Mbast1 wrote:I just read about a Marvel character. His name is Penance. He used to be Speedball, and was involved in the explosion that killed many people and triggered the Civil War storyline. He was presumed dead, found alive but powerless. It's found, when he's shot and in pain, that he has powers, and they work off his pain. So now, he's presumed mentally ill, and wears armor that STABS HIM to get his powers to work.
Ok, maybe I'm being weird about this, but doesn't this seem a bit, um, much, for a superhero? It sounds as if someone has been reading about too many medieval saints. Just bizarre.
Next thing you know, we'll have someone who has superpowers that only become activated during orgasms.  Rolling Eyes 
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:37 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Next thing you know, we'll have someone who has superpowers that only become activated during orgasms.  Rolling Eyes 

I swear I almost wrote, without thinking it through, "You know that's coming...".

I have issues.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 pm

We all do, mate — that's why we're on here.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed May 23, 2018 4:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:This is the company that made a minor costumed thief called the Scarecrow into a demon possessed serial killer and a long running Spider-Man supporting character into a double amputee bonded to a hostile alien who became a covert government agent. Not to mention turning almost all of the Hulk's supporting cast into Hulks. Marvel have never been known to let good taste or common sense get in the way of a story.  Razz
Especially after they recently introduced a character who has the superpower to recreate stuff he sees by . . . regurgitating it out.  

Marvel has a character who... What? 23wtt1y
Marvel has a character who... What? Qrc21k
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 23, 2018 4:49 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:This is the company that made a minor costumed thief called the Scarecrow into a demon possessed serial killer and a long running Spider-Man supporting character into a double amputee bonded to a hostile alien who became a covert government agent. Not to mention turning almost all of the Hulk's supporting cast into Hulks. Marvel have never been known to let good taste or common sense get in the way of a story.  Razz
Especially after they recently introduced a character who has the superpower to recreate stuff he sees by . . . regurgitating it out.  

Ummm...where is that scene from? Just so that I can avoid it...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed May 23, 2018 4:57 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Especially after they recently introduced a character who has the superpower to recreate stuff he sees by . . . regurgitating it out.  

I believe that was in an issue of last year's Secret Empire series (the one that featured Hydra Captain America).

Well worth avoiding. (I bought/read very little of it myself, and only when they brought back the real Steve Rogers at the end.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 23, 2018 5:11 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Especially after they recently introduced a character who has the superpower to recreate stuff he sees by . . . regurgitating it out.  

I believe that was in an issue of last year's Secret Empire series (the one that featured Hydra Captain America).

Well worth avoiding. (I bought/read very little of it myself, and only when they brought back the real Steve Rogers at the end.)
Ah. That makes sense. I suspect I missed that.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun May 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Love a duck...
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun May 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Love a duck...
Marvel has a character who... What? Howard10
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun May 27, 2018 4:29 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:Love a duck...
Marvel has a character who... What? Howard10
Beverly Switzler did indeed love a duck...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon May 28, 2018 6:22 pm

I have to say, I enjoyed his cameo in the second Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon May 28, 2018 8:43 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I have to say, I enjoyed his cameo in the second Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
Hopefully he looked better than he did in his original 1986 movie.

Marvel has a character who... What? Howard-the-Duck
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:I have to say, I enjoyed his cameo in the second Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Hey, I liked that movie!

(yes, I know I'm the only one)
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue May 29, 2018 12:47 am

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:

Hey, I liked that movie!

(yes, I know I'm the only one)
Oh, Tony . . . Rolling Eyes
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue May 29, 2018 8:49 am

I own the DVD. Embarassed
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue May 29, 2018 4:02 pm

tony ingram wrote:I own the DVD. Embarassed
I paid good money to see it in the movie theater when it was originally released and that was more than enough for me!
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue May 29, 2018 10:11 pm

tony ingram wrote:(yes, I know I'm the only one)

No, actually you're not. I liked that movie, found it on VHS years ago.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed May 30, 2018 1:24 am

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:(yes, I know I'm the only one)
No, actually you're not. I liked that movie, found it on VHS years ago.
Marvel has a character who... What? Htd-01-waugh
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed May 30, 2018 6:59 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Marvel has a character who... What? Htd-01-waugh

FoWled up.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down