Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War)

+4
GBF
Hourglass
Sandhopper
tony ingram
8 posters

Go down

Favourite War Titles

03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_lcap50%03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 4 ]
03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_lcap0%03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_lcap13%03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]
03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_lcap0%03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_lcap13%03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 8

03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Empty 03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War)

Post by tony ingram Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Category three of the poll: war comics. For me, the ever innovative and groundbreaking Battle!

Last edited by tony ingram on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Empty Re: 03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War)

Post by Sandhopper Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:23 am

I think I had an issue of Victor bought for me. Once.

Although it might have been Commando, Battle or Warlord...

Sorry - I'm not doing very well here, am I?
Sandhopper
Sandhopper

Back to top Go down

03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War) Empty Re: 03: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 3: War)

Post by tony ingram Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:28 am

Sandhopper wrote:I think I had an issue of Victor bought for me. Once.

Although it might have been Commando, Battle or Warlord...

Sorry - I'm not doing very well here, am I?
You'd know if it was Commando; they're the little square ones...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:17 am

not heard of any of these actually, have you any info on them?
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 am

Hourglass wrote:not heard of any of these actually, have you any info on them?
Well, there's a dedicated thread for Commando! The others are probably a bit before your time, though Battle's output has recently seen a resurgence of interest with the publication of the groundbreaking WWI serial Charley's War as a series of hardbacks.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:51 am

My introduction to Cam Kennedy art. The best...
GBF
GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Battler Britton was never a comic on it's own was it? the character just appeared in other stories (such as one of the very first Picture Library publications, which also included Robin Hood stories, can't remember it's name but i don't think it was "Super Detective Library", though was of similar age).

Also Victor wasn't really a dedicated war story, though in the few issues i own there does always seem to be at least 2 WW2 stories running, and usually one set in another war too. Then Alf Tupper and a Detective or Spy (maybe also in a war!) to round it off XD.

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:24 pm

felneymike wrote:Battler Britton was never a comic on it's own was it? the character just appeared in other stories (such as one of the very first Picture Library publications, which also included Robin Hood stories, can't remember it's name but i don't think it was "Super Detective Library", though was of similar age).
Battler appeared in several titles, but they included a short series of his own 'Battler Britton Picture Library Special' (1978-82, 1988) and a couple of hardbacks (1960-61). About four years back he returned in a US published limited series from DC's Wildstorm imprint.

Also Victor wasn't really a dedicated war story, though in the few issues i own there does always seem to be at least 2 WW2 stories running, and usually one set in another war too. Then Alf Tupper and a Detective or Spy (maybe also in a war!) to round it off XD.
I think Victor probably counts more as a war comic than an adventure one, but I agree, it was a little more varied than the others.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandhopper Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:14 pm

tony ingram wrote:You'd know if it was Commando; they're the little square ones...
Might have a look for it later so I can vote.

Again - had it bought for me and liked it well enough, but didn't think of continuing. Probably because I didn't really get pocket money back then and was happy enough getting the Star Wars and Doctor Who comics bought for me each week / month. And didn't gravitate towards war stuff unless it was on the TV.
Sandhopper
Sandhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:43 am

No option, 'cos I've only read Commando, and that as an adult. Never had an interest in war comics as a child.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Don't know if any of these ever made it over to the U.S.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:43 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Don't know if any of these ever made it over to the U.S.
I very much doubt it. But Commando is still going, is now available in digital as well as print (so it should be available everywhere) and is well worth checking out.  http://www.commandocomics.com
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Even though it sounds like it's not wearing any underpants...
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down