Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport

+2
Sandhopper
tony ingram
6 posters

Go down

Favourite Adventure/Sport titles

04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_lcap20%04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_lcap0%04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_lcap0%04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_lcap20%04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_lcap60%04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Empty 04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport

Post by tony ingram Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm

A tricky one this, as there have been so many that fit into these two categories, so I've gone for the most obvious. I've counted Wizard and Rover as one due to their many mergers with each other. If a significant number of people start nominating specific titles in the 'other' category, we'll look at setting up a second part for this one...

Last edited by tony ingram on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Empty Re: 04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport

Post by Sandhopper Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:24 am

Has to be Eagle, because I know for certain I never looked at any of the others here.

And my dad had a large book which gave a history of the comic and reprinted lots of the classic strips - I read it from cover to cover several times. And I think I had the first issue of the new Eagle too, when they started doing photostrips. That was okay too.
Sandhopper
Sandhopper

Back to top Go down

04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Empty Re: 04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport

Post by tony ingram Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 am

Sandhopper wrote:Has to be Eagle, because I know for certain I never looked at any of the others here.

And my dad had a large book which gave a history of the comic and reprinted lots of the classic strips - I read it from cover to cover several times. And I think I had the first issue of the new Eagle too, when they started doing photostrips. That was okay too.
OK? OK? OK!!!!?
*ahem* sorry, came over all Colin Baker there, for a minute. But New Eagle was great! They even had Doomlord, a real alien! (well, he must have been-there were photographs of him!)

Last edited by tony ingram on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hourglass Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:18 am

Has to be Eagle, one of the finest comics ever to be printed in my view.
Hourglass
Hourglass

Back to top Go down

Post by felneymike Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Indeed, if i was given free rein to create and publish my dream comic, it would probably look just like Eagle! (though i think "Hotspur" is a great title, id be torn).

My actual favourite "nonspecific adventure" comic, though, is The Boys' Friend, but i should think most people here have never even seen an issue of that.

felneymike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandhopper Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:13 pm

tony ingram wrote:OK? OK? OK!!!!?
*ahem* sorry, came over all Colin Baker there, for a minute. But New Eagle was great! They even had Doomlord, a real alien! (well, he must have been-there were photographs of him!)
Doomlord arrives on Earth in the issue I (think I still) have - the first of the new Eagle I guess?

Remember enjoying it, although it was the only one I ever got. Only said "okay" because I didn't want to upset any Eagle purists...
Sandhopper
Sandhopper

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:32 pm

Sandhopper wrote:
tony ingram wrote:OK? OK? OK!!!!?
Doomlord arrives on Earth in the issue I (think I still) have - the first of the new Eagle I guess?

Remember enjoying it, although it was the only one I ever got. Only said "okay" because I didn't want to upset any Eagle purists...
There is a definite divide between old and new Eagle fans, but personally I love them both. Totally different mags of course, but both great in their own way. I was one of the few fans of the photo strips, Doomlord in particular.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:47 am

Well it didn't last long, so my vote for Speed will likely be the only one.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 am

Spiff_B wrote:Well it didn't last long, so my vote for Speed will likely be the only one.
I've a soft spot for Speed, too. It had such wonderfully flawed characters-the suicidal Blake Edmonds, the insufferably smug Eddie Topps, that bitter and twisted guy in the wheelchair who constantly got his assistant to risk life and limb...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:01 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Spiff_B wrote:Well it didn't last long, so my vote for Speed will likely be the only one.
I've a soft spot for Speed, too. It had such wonderfully flawed characters-the suicidal Blake Edmonds, the insufferably smug Eddie Topps, that bitter and twisted guy in the wheelchair who constantly got his assistant to risk life and limb...
...Hence Edmonds and Topps survived the merger with Tiger!

Don't remember the wheelchair guy! Embarassed I got a complete run of Speed from eBay a couple of years ago -- don't remember how I lost my originals -- but haven't read them yet.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Spiff_B wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
...Hence Edmonds and Topps survived the merger with Tiger!

Don't remember the wheelchair guy! Embarassed I got a complete run of Speed from eBay a couple of years ago -- don't remember how I lost my originals -- but haven't read them yet.
I can't remember his name right now, but wheelchair guy was a crippled former daredevil who offered £1, 000, 000 to any reader who created a challenge his luckless servant couldn't complete. Curiously, he always managed to find some loophole which meant they didn't win, though he would grudgingly compensate the winning entry of the week with a fiver...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Ah, The £1,000,000 Challenge. Not an endearing or characterful strip. I remember the sneaky way a fiver was coughed up more than how the strip was executed!
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Spiff_B wrote:Ah, The £1,000,000 Challenge. Not an endearing or characterful strip. I remember the sneaky way a fiver was coughed up more than how the strip was executed!
Having said that, his method of dealing with his disability-basically taking it out on the world-still struck me as slightly healthier than Blake Edmonds trying to get himself killed in front of a stunned crowd every other week...

I'm surprised Speed didn't send a generation of kids into therapy, really.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:42 am

tony ingram wrote:
Spiff_B wrote:Ah, The £1,000,000 Challenge. Not an endearing or characterful strip. I remember the sneaky way a fiver was coughed up more than how the strip was executed!
Having said that, his method of dealing with his disability-basically taking it out on the world-still struck me as slightly healthier than Blake Edmonds trying to get himself killed in front of a stunned crowd every other week...

I'm surprised Speed didn't send a generation of kids into therapy, really.
The infamous banned/censored Action was before my time, but having a character with a death wish and zombie face was a bit much, in hindsight. Odd thing was, he became a flagship character in Tiger so he'd be there, cheerily waving, on group shots for Christmas and anniversary issues!

In soap opera fashion, there was an extended storyline where he had revolutionary plastic surgery to look human again... then of course had another accident so he was back to old zombie-features!
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:01 am

I remember it well. He ended up in Eagle, in the end, fighting supernatural monsters...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:21 pm

tony ingram wrote:I remember it well. He ended up in Eagle, in the end, fighting supernatural monsters...
!!

Don't remember that, must've stopped reading by then, tho may well have the issues, unread from when I bought loads of Eagles from eBay.
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Spiff_B wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I remember it well. He ended up in Eagle, in the end, fighting supernatural monsters...
!!

Don't remember that, must've stopped reading by then, tho may well have the issues, unread from when I bought loads of Eagles from eBay.
Blake may well make an appearance in Crikey! #14, which is set to feature certain Eagle related content...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiff_B Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:38 pm

tony ingram wrote:Blake may well make an appearance in Crikey! #14, which is set to feature certain Eagle related content...
I'll look forward to it! Very Happy
Spiff_B
Spiff_B

Back to top Go down

Post by Stigandnasty Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:03 am

Scorcher, has to be Scorcher. Lags Eleven was a great strip.
Stigandnasty
Stigandnasty

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Stigandnasty wrote:Scorcher, has to be Scorcher. Lags Eleven was a great strip.
The number of variations on a theme those football comics came up with was staggering. I don't remember Lag's Eleven, but I'm guessing they were a team of convicts...?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stigandnasty Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Quite right, with a leader/team captain who was based on Peter Sellers (this is all from memory)
Stigandnasty
Stigandnasty

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Stigandnasty wrote:Quite right, with a leader/team captain who was based on Peter Sellers (this is all from memory)
That actually sounds like one I might have to seek out! 04: Your All Time Favourite Comic: a Poll (category 4: Adventure/Sport Icon_eek

I think my favourite comic strip footballer is still the terrific Hot Shot Hamish, though...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down