Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing Episodes Announcement on Tuesday?

2 posters

Go down

Missing Episodes Announcement on Tuesday? Empty Missing Episodes Announcement on Tuesday?

Post by tony ingram Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 am

Hot on the heels of the rather poorly researched Sunday People article yesterday, Radio Times now reports that the BBC are to hold a press conference on Tuesday about the supposedly recovered missing episodes. It also reports that some of these previously lost episodes will be available for all to see rather sooner than we might have expected.... http://www.radiotimes.com

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by tony ingram on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Missing Episodes Announcement on Tuesday? Empty Re: Missing Episodes Announcement on Tuesday?

Post by tony ingram Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:11 pm

tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Missing Episodes Announcement on Tuesday? Empty Re: Missing Episodes Announcement on Tuesday?

Post by tony ingram Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:38 am

Enemy of the World and {most of} The Web of Fear returned! Could there have been better news in Doctor Who's fiftieth anniversary year? cheers 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:57 pm

If `Fury From the Deep` had been among them-for me-yes! But its still `FANTASTIC!!!` news! Even one episode discovered would be fine-but Nine! A point raised is that Nigerian TV had already handed back a few 1st Doctor episodes back in the 80s and presumably that source was used up . . . but! hold! it wasn't! A really thorough search found these nine.

So, what for example, if Hong Kong etc might just have more to offer if REALLY searched? You never know. The chap who discovered the episodes in Nigeria is now trawling the Ethiopian stations. There is a chance that more may surface.

Since 1982, Season 5 has gone from just 2 episodes (`Enemy 3, Wheel 6`) to 22 episodes existing and finally (Since first wiped) there now exists more 1960s Troughton episodes (66) than still missing (53) - if I got my sums right!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:03 pm

It's made all the more amazing by the fact that these particular episodes were not actually sold in that region: they bought Hartnell, but not Troughton. And there are still very credible rumours circulating that these nine may, in fact, not be all that was found; just all that has been returned, so far...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Its a very intriguing aspect Tony. The fellow who found them is currently trawling the Ethiopian TV stations so I (and i'm sure all `Who` fans) are hoping there will be more good news. Incidentally, the haul of Nine episodes is the largest find of `lost` episodes since the public announced search for episodes back in late `81` A larger batch had been returned in the 80s but some were of episodes already held-so this batch, a bit of a record breaker!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 pm

It's all the more incredible in that the episodes turned up in a region which had never actually bought them in the first place.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:42 pm

cheers cheers Indeed! So who knows where more might be. Mind you, the chap stated in press release he had been using BBC sales documents as a guide and perhaps he had been thinking season 3 `Hartnell` eps might be found- but instead!! Shocked 

The Dr Who Online forum (I joined it in August) has been overflowing with froth & speculation; but there is a very strong feeling that more might be found.

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:45 pm

I am reliably informed by sources who have been right all along so far that there is indeed more to come. As in, more has been located but not yet necessarily returned to the BBC.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Do hope so Tony! Things looking most promising. Got to pop off now! cheers!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:12 pm

I checked in a old DWM mag from 2012 where they listed what countries bought which stories-Tony is right (Not that I doubted, but I was curious and re-checked) How did those stories get to Nigeria? But-hey! They now exist! Hope more comes along!Very Happy Smile 

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:19 pm

They seem to have been doing the rounds of various African countries. I guess TV stations passed them around between themselves without consulting the BBC after the initial purchase.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Just got this months DWM. There were 11 episodes found, All of "Enemy" and 1, 2, 4-6 of "Web" They had `bicycled` from Hong Kong and ep 1 of "Web" according to the restoration article is better than the copy already held by BBC. Phillip Morris is hoping "Web" 3 might still turn up. I think he is trawling the Ethiopian stations now! What he has so far achieved is more than I could have hoped for a few years ago when the well seemed to have run dry!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm still hopeful there may be a few more surprises yet to come this year.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Checking what's missing- I calculate That out of Season 1s 42 episodes, 9 are still missing. Out of season 2s 39, just 2 missing. From season 3s 45 eps, 28 are missing, from season 4s 43 eps, 33 are missing, from season 5s 40 eps, 18 missing and season six always unchanged at still 7 missing from 44.

Logically, if any more do turn up season 3 seems best bet as more Hartnell overseas sales- but who knows! An interesting point is that pre 1978 Season 5 only retained ONE episode! ("Enemy 3") Sue Malden found "Web 1" in 1978 -"Snowmen 2" turned up in 1982 and so on! In fact season 5 is the major recepient of reurned episodes since 1978 with 21 returned! May it be more!?

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:27 pm

I remain convinced there will be more.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Certainly hope we might get another announcement soon! most of the folks on `Dr Who Online` site are pretty certain an announcement will be made just on the date of 50th anniversary. I don't know if you have the "Lost in Time" set Tony? If so- it'll be interesting to compare the copy of "Web1" on that to the recently unearthed episode that will be on next Feb's 2Web" release - 24th I believe! Can't stay too long today as i've got streaming head cold and Charlotte insists I rest a bit!Smile Smile 

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 pm

I have got the Lost in Time set. Incredible to think it's now out of date!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Here I am for a short time! Head cold settling down now! Just been on `Dr Who Online` site! Some there have been E.Mailing Phil Morris who found the 9 (11 really) eps" All he can say is he's found his searches so-far, to be 1000% (One thousand) per cent worth and is overjoyed at his `progress` so far. I realise he has been seeking any lost TV programmes-bnot just Dr Who-but going by the style of his reply, everyone on the site is convinced more Dr Who `Has` been found. Time will tell.

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:48 pm

I don't think anyone on any of the Who sites really believes those eleven were all that was located, now. And I've heard more than just lost Doctor Who was found. Who do you think you are kidding, Mister Morris, if you think this story's done...Razz 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Phil Morris is after `any` missing material. Personally, i'd dearly love any 1960s/early 70s `Top of the Pops` to turn up-but i think they were only sold to Europe & Australia! `Mystery & Imagination` is another `lost` series I would love to hear turn up-but its doubtful. Any `Who` at all is a bonus. If anyone had told me, a few years back, that nine more missing episodes of Season 5 `Who` would turn up, I would have been most sceptical, as the `well had seemed to be dry` but they have and its fantastic!!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Personally, I'd love to see the missing episodes of The Avengers. Only two complete episodes exist from the first series.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:20 pm

That's the series where Ian Hendry was the main player. I don't think it was sold extensively overseas. The `Avengers` only really `took off` once it was Pat McNee & Honor Blackman. I'd certainly love the rest of `Object Z` to turn up. So far, one series exists and one episode from second series, but that's all so far.

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:25 pm

I don't think I'm faliar with Object Z...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down