Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Music paper Cartoon strips!

+2
tony ingram
alanultron5
6 posters

Go down

UK Music paper Cartoon strips! Empty UK Music paper Cartoon strips!

Post by alanultron5 Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 am

Here's a genre even Crikey magazine hasn't touched on yet! Cartoon strips in the UK Music papers! `Disc & Music Echo` had the surreal `J.Edward Oliver` strip (featuring "Elf Garnett") I have the first three years of it! Started in Summer 1970! " Smile Freak out man!

From 1972 the NME (After its radical overhaul) employed Ray Lowry to do one-off cartoons! My two faves were the one with the `way-out` WWI scene where a Soldier reports to his superior "Sir! It's hell out there; someone's put Psychedelics in the Mud!!" The second was a crash scene with skid marks and wreckage strewn assunder from a head on crash!....... Two Snails!!

Lowry then went on to create the immortal "Lone Groover" ("Erk! Alors!") Who even released an E.P (I used to own a copy) The L.G was a highlight of the paper!

Then there was the space saga of `Brian.B` whose Budgie `Kurt` just sat on his perch all day doing B****r all! I laughed so much at Brian B's encounter with the Deathship Jetherson I did it in me pants! (Almost!) Great stuff!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

UK Music paper Cartoon strips! Empty Re: UK Music paper Cartoon strips!

Post by tony ingram Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:26 pm

Interesting-this is a subject I know very little about, at least beyond Axel Pressbutton (the psychotic cyborg who started life in Dark Star in 1979 and then moved into Sounds before becoming a regular in Warrior).
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alanultron5 Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Oops! silly me! It was Tony Benyon who created the "Lone Groover" Ray Lowry did the single panel work! He used to do a running gag in many of them-insetting birds -eye views of his balding head with running commentary on the current state of the devestation (hair loss)

His best one was one where he drew a panel of himself sporting a sort of headband with a cross on the front of it. An inscription underneath read "In Loving Memory of 2.000 dear departed" That man had a bigger hang up about receding hair than Elton John!

alanultron5

Back to top Go down

Post by happyhooker Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Alan Moore's The Stars My Degradation published in the music paper Sounds, early 1980s I think. It was such a wonderful piss-take on Marvel comics of the time such as the X Men.[img][/img]

happyhooker

Barry_Allen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by happyhooker Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:13 pm

alanultron5 wrote:Oops! silly me! It was Tony Benyon who created the "Lone Groover" Ray Lowry did the single panel work! He used to do a running gag in many of them-insetting birds -eye views of his balding head with running commentary on the current state of the devestation (hair loss)

His best one was one where he drew a panel of himself sporting a sort of headband with a cross on the front of it. An inscription underneath read "In Loving Memory of 2.000 dear departed" That man had a bigger hang up about receding hair than Elton John!

I think the only reason I bothered with NME was The Lone Groover. It was certainly the best thing in NME at the time.

happyhooker

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Wed May 08, 2013 7:13 pm

I loved the strips Alan Moore did as Curt Vile in Sounds: Roscoe Moscow and the Stars My Degradation. A little later Sounds ran a strip called Scumworld by Bryan Talbot (credited to the Crabs From Uranus, if memory serves). And even later (I think) Eddie Campbell and Phil Elliott alternated on the Wonders of Science, a series of single tier strips pseudonymously credited to Charlie Trumper (later the name of a character in As the Crow Flies by that plagiarising tory Jeffrey Archer), which were reprinted by Fantagraphics in Honk #5.
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 pm

I never knew about that Talbot strip! I shall have to seek it out, I love Bryan's stuff. He's always been an innovator.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:44 am

Were these Alan Moore strips ever reprinted somewhere, in the Uk and/or Usa, for what you know, guys? Smile
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri May 06, 2022 3:58 am

Barry_Allen wrote:Were these Alan Moore strips ever reprinted somewhere, in the Uk and/or Usa, for what you know, guys? Smile

I have never seen anything about them being printed here in the USA. I wish...
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:07 pm

wAccording to downthetubes.net, Bryan Talbot's Scumworld is now available digitally from Glassboxx.
https://downthetubes.net/bryan-talbots-scumworld-re-released-on-an-unsuspecting-planet/
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down