Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JSA to Return at Last!

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 Empty Re: JSA to Return at Last!

Post by Mbast1 Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:11 am

I get that. I've gone through periods where nothing appeals to me. Why don't you tell us about things you do like, from whatever period. It's not like we have to confine ourselves to the present.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:51 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:What do you want from them? What were the last series you really enjoyed? There must be something out there we can find...
Don't bother trying to come up with something. It's not worth it.

Stuff I might normally have liked has writers I don't bother with any longer.

I'm also at that +/-ten year period where I typically have grown tired with DC and Marvel's output. The last time I had been thoroughly enjoying comic books between 1985-1995. Prior to that, it was roughly from 1972-1983.

What got me started again back around 2010 was finding and reading the Captain America 70th Anniversary one-shot written by James Robinson. I'm not sure if DC really wants to give us a good comic book series written by writer(s) I enjoy set back during the WWII-era.
Did you read the Captain America and the Invaders one shot published in July this year, by Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway? That seems exactly your sort of thing.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:00 pm

tony ingram wrote:Did you read the Captain America and the Invaders one shot published in July this year, by Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway? That seems exactly your sort of thing.
https://crikey.forumotion.com/t899-new-captain-america-the-invaders-written-by-roy-thomas

By the way, I did also try the latest Invaders series written by Chip Zdarsky, but I gave up on that (bought/read issues #1-9) with psycho-Namor and "Iron Torch". Mad

(Wasn't thrilled with Zdarskys new Daredevil series, either. Last issue I bought of that was #11.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:26 am

With Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway you can't go wrong! Cool
I was not tempted to try Chip Zdarskys' Invaders but bought/read the first six issues of his new (called "brutal" by Panini Comics in their preview) Daredevil nicely drawn by good Italian artist Marco Checchetto! Rolling Eyes
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:31 am

Barry_Allen wrote:With Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway you can't go wrong! Cool
I was not tempted to try Chip Zdarskys' Invaders but bought/read the first six issues of his new (called "brutal" by Panini Comics in their preview) Daredevil nicely drawn by good Italian artist Marco Checchetto! Rolling Eyes
Haven't seen that! I might look for it... Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:32 am

tony ingram wrote:
Barry_Allen wrote:With Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway you can't go wrong! Cool
Haven't seen that! I might look for it... Very Happy

You can find many examples of his art online to see if you like his style; to be precise he has drawn the first story arc of new Daredevil series from issue 1 to 5, subsequent issues are drawn by Lalit Kumar Sharma Question monkey
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:48 pm

And the JSA have returned, at last! Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:59 pm

tony ingram wrote:And the JSA have returned, at last! Very Happy
Guess now it's a question of where DC goes from here with them.
(And, more importantly to me, who will be handling them in the future.)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:02 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
I guess you're not intending to read Doomsday Clock #12?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:12 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
I might browse through a copy if there's one available next time I get to the comic book shop (probably not until next year at this rate, or at least not until after Christmas).

How many pages are devoted to the JSA in that issue?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:18 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
I might browse through a copy if there's one available next time I get to the comic book shop (probably not until next year at this rate, or at least not until after Christmas).

How many pages are devoted to the JSA in that issue?
They're sort of scattered throughout the action. Though there's a big, impressive double page spread when they and the Legion turn up to assist Superman. Their pre-Crisis and post-Crisis histories are both referenced, but the team we're left with in the present day is pretty obviously the post-Crisis team, including the surviving original members plus Stargirl, Power Girl, Atom Smasher and the new Liberty Belle, and also what appears to be a resurrected Yolanda Montez Wilcat and Beth Chapel as Doctor Midnight (wearing McNider's old costume).
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:50 am

I am following Doomsday Clock in the italian version and the local publisher Rw-Lion Comics just put out issue # 4 so we are a little back. Rolling Eyes There are also so many rumours, even in Panini house organ called Anteprima (sort of Previews catalog for all things Panini Comics publishes in Italy along the output with another publisher, Star Comics, which specialize in manga + all Valiant Comics + a little of French BD) that DC Comics won't renew the contract with Rw-Lion and that next July (but maybe even before) all DC Comics licensed rights will go to Panini which, of course, is the source for Marvel Comics in several countries in the world and publishes already DC Comics in Brazil, Germany and Spain, seems sort of a Monopoly here... Shocked
So maybe when Doomsday # 12 will come here (every issue so far has also a variant edition available with a Pin bagged) it will be a Panini Comics production. pirat
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:18 am

Barry_Allen wrote:I am following Doomsday Clock in the italian version and the local publisher Rw-Lion Comics just put out issue # 4 so we are a little back. Rolling Eyes There are also so many rumours, even in Panini house organ called Anteprima (sort of Previews catalog for all things Panini Comics publishes in Italy along the output with another publisher, Star Comics, which specialize in manga + all Valiant Comics + a little of French BD) that DC Comics won't renew the contract with Rw-Lion and that next July (but maybe even before) all DC Comics licensed rights will go to Panini which, of course, is the source for Marvel Comics in several countries in the world and publishes already DC Comics in Brazil, Germany and Spain, seems sort of a Monopoly here... Shocked
So maybe when Doomsday # 12 will come here (every issue so far has also a variant edition available with a Pin bagged) it will be a Panini Comics production. pirat
Panini are evidently doing rather better there than they are over here! Shocked
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 am

I remember when you wrote about the titles of Panini published in Uk but since they haven't been offered in Previews UK since such a long time, I know nothing about them now, what are they doing, or are you referring to DWM mag? Surprised
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:31 am

Barry_Allen wrote:I remember when you wrote about the titles of Panini published in Uk but since they haven't been offered in Previews UK since such a long time, I know nothing about them now, what are they doing, or are you referring to DWM mag? Surprised
They still publish DWM, plus a range of Marvel reprints, but I believe two of them have recently been cancelled due to low sales. Mighty World of Marvel, which I collected, was one recent casualty.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:22 pm

I know that Mighty World of Marvel had several Volumes and has been a flagship title since the Marvel Uk days, it published also Captan Britain by Alan Moore, then collected many times everywhere! Cool
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:I know that Mighty World of Marvel had several Volumes and has been a flagship title since the Marvel Uk days, it published also Captan Britain by Alan Moore, then collected many times everywhere! Cool
Correct! Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:42 pm

Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:53 pm

Mbast1 wrote:I thought Tony might enjoy this:

https://www.cbr.com/flash-750-sneak-peek-jay-garrick/
YES!!!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:31 am

tony ingram wrote:

YES!!!
By the way, is the numbering of this series just jumping from issue #88 to #750 or something?

By the way, don't forget the variant covers for issue #750 (including the Nicola Scott 1940s variant cover): https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/239426-The-Flash-750-Features-a-Series-of-Decade-Variant-Covers-by-Comics-Greatest-Artists

JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 Flash-10
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:11 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:

YES!!!
By the way, is the numbering of this series just jumping from issue #88 to #750 or something?

It is exactly that MajorHoy! Usually Marvel is specilized in doing these long-jumps (and comebacks), Very Happy but also Dc, which has so long real numbers, sometimes can do that!  Smile

MajorHoy wrote:By the way, don't forget the variant covers for issue #750 (including the Nicola Scott 1940s variant cover): https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/239426-The-Flash-750-Features-a-Series-of-Decade-Variant-Covers-by-Comics-Greatest-Artists

There are very nice variant covers for these #750 anniversary issues, but since these comic books are not so cheap, usually one has to choose only one each to buy... Rolling Eyes
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:By the way, is the numbering of this series just jumping from issue #88 to #750 or something?
It is exactly that MajorHoy! Usually Marvel is specilized in doing these long-jumps (and comebacks), Very Happy but also Dc, which has so long real numbers, sometimes can do that!  Smile
DC has sometimes done that before, like with Wonder Woman #600 back in 2010. But it seemed to me at least that Marvel in the past would be more likely do the bundling of volumes into big issue numbers (like an issue #500 or #600) but within a year or two revert back to relaunching that title once again with a new #1.

Also, if they're doing a bundling/renumbering with The Flash for issue #750, I'm guessing DC will eventually be doing similar for Batman (and probably Superman) for issue #900? Both those books had made it past issue #700 prior to the New52 in 2011 and I believe have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 150+ issues since then.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm

MajorHoy wrote:By the way, don't forget the variant covers for issue #750 (including the Nicola Scott 1940s variant cover):

I'm really going to have to look for that one!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:44 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:By the way, don't forget the variant covers for issue #750 (including the Nicola Scott 1940s variant cover):
I'm really going to have to look for that one!
Well, since it's not out until March 4th, can't you still ask a comic book shop to reserve that specific cover for you?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:42 pm

MajorHoy wrote:Well, since it's not out until March 4th, can't you still ask a comic book shop to reserve that specific cover for you?

I've never tried that, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:32 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:Well, since it's not out until March 4th, can't you still ask a comic book shop to reserve that specific cover for you?

I've never tried that, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks!
You mean that you never ordered something at your Local Comic Shop in advance after seeing it
in the Previews catalog, Mike? Wink

Btw, here's a variant cover by rising star Rafael Grampa for the upcoming (in April) Flash # 754 (!) JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 Flash_11
#
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:28 am

MajorHoy wrote: . . . Also, if they're doing a bundling/renumbering with The Flash for issue #750, I'm guessing DC will eventually be doing similar for Batman (and probably Superman) for issue #900? Both those books had made it past issue #700 prior to the New52 in 2011 and I believe have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 150+ issues since then.
I just found out today that Wonder Woman did a rebundling jump to issue #750 last month.

JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 Wonder25

They had done a similar thing to get to issue #600 back in 2010 (before the New52).
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:You mean that you never ordered something at your Local Comic Shop in advance after seeing it

Never specific covers/variants.

Also, that is another cool pic. Maybe I'll try to find ALL the covers.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:00 am

Mbast1 wrote:
Barry_Allen wrote:You mean that you never ordered something at your Local Comic Shop in advance after seeing it
Never specific covers/variants.

Also, that is another cool pic. Maybe I'll try to find ALL the covers.
Well, The Flash #750 will have eight different covers, and with a $7.99 (U.S.) cover price, you'd be talking about $64.00 for all of them?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:33 pm

MajorHoy wrote:you'd be talking about $64.00 for all of them?

Ok, yeah. Maybe just one or two I REALLY like, then...
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:50 am

Mbast1 wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:you'd be talking about $64.00 for all of them?
Ok, yeah. Maybe just one or two I REALLY like, then...
My first choice of covers would definitely be the 1940s version with Jay by Nicola Scott (even though it doesn't really focus on the main story for the issue).
A second choice might be the 1960s cover by Nick Derington featuring classic Silver Age Flash villains . . . as well as Jay with Barry.

JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 343343
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:52 pm

I have found pics of all of them online, they're all nice. Not that I want to spend that much money on them, but nice. I think the Jose Luis Garcia Lopez version might be the one I get, I love his art.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Mbast1 wrote: . . . I think the Jose Luis Garcia Lopez version might be the one I get, I love his art.
That's a good choice, too.

Another thing to consider is any tpb collection of the issues that includes #750 might have the artwork for ALL of the anniversary variants.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:20 am

Mbast1 wrote:I have found pics of all of them online, they're all nice. Not that I want to spend that much money on them, but nice. I think the Jose Luis Garcia Lopez version might be the one I get, I love his art.

Me too, I had ordered this great one! Cool.

Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:50 pm

tony ingram wrote:It's just been confirmed that the world's first super team will finally be returning to the DCU proper in the September issue of Justice League!  Best news I've heard in weeks! Anyone else excited?
By the way, the tpb collection that includes the JSA issues of Justice League was released recently.

JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 Justic62

Justice League Vol. 5: The Doom War
By Scott Snyder

About Justice League Vol. 5: The Doom War

The Justice-Doom War approaches! This is the culmination of the Legion of Doom’s master plan, and some may not survive. Writers Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV, with artists Jorge Jimenez and Javier Fernandez, are taking you to war for the universe!

Eons ago, the Monitor, the Anti-Monitor and the World Forger stopped the rise of Perpetua. Now Lex Luthor is trying to empower Perpetua, turning the world toward doom. The Justice League must race through the past, present and future to gather pieces of the Totality if they want to stop Lex Luthor’s plan from coming to fruition. But the Legion of Doom will stop at nothing to unleash Perpetua on the Multiverse.

Writer Scott Snyder teams up with James Tynion IV and artists Jorge Jimenez, Jim Cheung and Javier Fernandez for an incredible finale! Collects Justice League #26-39.

Paperback
$24.99
Jun 23, 2020 | ISBN 9781401299361
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/617445/justice-league-vol-5-the-doom-war-by-scott-snyder/

NOTE: I believe the JSA first appeared in issue #30 of this collected version, but I'm not sure what the last issue they appeared in was.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Barry_Allen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:28 am

Yes, by coincidence, in italian Justice League new  nr. 1 published by Panini there are contained JL # 30 and # 31 so they were "lucky" to start their series with this part of the storyline but I have seen that the comments of the italian editor and his articles are dementialis (for € 5.00!!!) , so I'll buy the original Dc tpb, instead. Cool JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 Justic14
Even the indicia on Panini website doesn't tell nothing about Jsa appearance in that issue, these young editors are too ignorant about history and legends of comic books....  Mad https://comics.panini.it/store/pub_ita_it/m1jule001-it-justice-league-justice-league-n-1.html
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:17 pm

Barry_Allen wrote: . . . Even the indicia on Panini website doesn't tell nothing about Jsa appearance in that issue, these young editors are too ignorant about history and legends of comic books....  Mad https://comics.panini.it/store/pub_ita_it/m1jule001-it-justice-league-justice-league-n-1.html
Or it might be that, unfortunately, they might not feel a sizeable portion of their readership cares about a bunch of old geezers that haven't been heard from in a while.
Who knows how much emphasis DC (or the people responsible for promoting these issues to Panini) even bothered to put on the JSA re-appearance? Heck, I don't even know how many issues / pages of this arc really focused on the return of the JSA.

Even the page at the Penguin / Random House site (who I believe DC is relying on to distribute graphic novels here in the U.S. as opposed to Diamond) doesn't mention the JSA for this tpb. It only mentions that the Justice League "must race through the past, present and future" without saying who/when in the past.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:46 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Barry_Allen wrote: . . . Even the indicia on Panini website doesn't tell nothing about Jsa appearance in that issue, these young editors are too ignorant about history and legends of comic books....  Mad   https://comics.panini.it/store/pub_ita_it/m1jule001-it-justice-league-justice-league-n-1.html
Or it might be that, unfortunately, they might not feel a sizeable portion of their readership cares about a bunch of old geezers that haven't been heard from in a while.

You're right, I think that this could be one good point  Wink

MajorHoy wrote:
Who knows how much emphasis DC (or the people responsible for promoting these issues to Panini) even bothered to put on the JSA re-appearance? Heck, I don't even know how many issues / pages of this arc really focused on the return of the JSA.
We should check on some forums, in Italy there is a last one surviving, dedicated to Dc Comics, populated, of course by old geezers (like us....? ) Laughing
MajorHoy wrote: Even the page at the Penguin / Random House site (who I believe DC is relying on to distribute graphic novels here in the U.S. as opposed to Diamond) doesn't mention the JSA for this tpb. It only mentions that the Justice League "must race through the past, present and future" without saying who/when in the past.
In fact I noticed that thereafter, so this could be a common problem, also overseas Rolling Eyes
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:08 am

Barry_Allen wrote:
In fact I noticed that thereafter, so this could be a common problem, also overseas Rolling Eyes
Much as I love them, realistically te JA have never had much of a presence outside the USA. Dedicated comics fans know them, yes, but they've never been mainstream.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:35 pm

I haven't seen / bought it (and don't plan to buy it), but did anybody buy DARK NIGHTS DEATH METAL #2 (of 6)?

It's suppose to include the JSA in it.

JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 -_00_d10
JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 -_00_d11
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:44 pm

No, sorry, I had missed the original solicitation for this one and these times reorders for Dc Comics don't work as before here...but I'll see when it'll be published in Italian, since all the Metal saga has been translated, so far... Wink
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:56 pm

Barry_Allen wrote:No, sorry, I had missed the original solicitation for this one and these times reorders for Dc Comics don't work as before here...but I'll see when it'll be published in Italian, since all the Metal saga has been translated, so far... Wink
Hey, I've avoided the whole Dark Nights bit myself; really didn't think DC needed "The Batman Who Giggles" and such.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:48 pm

I bought it! The JSA actually play a significant role, if a little limited. And we get to see Wally finally meet Jay again.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:33 am

So, has anyone else here read Flash #760? The return of the Flash family, for real-including Jay, Max Mercury and Jesse Quick, all firmly back in continuity! JSA to Return at Last! - Page 2 343343 Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2