Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Comics are You Reading at the Moment?

+5
happyhooker
alanultron5
Spiff_B
Melkur40
tony ingram
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What Comics are You Reading at the Moment? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Comics are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Sam_Vimes Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:48 pm

All right! It's like discovering a new Batman or Superman, having all these great old comics that geography has made me pretty much oblivious to.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

What Comics are You Reading at the Moment? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Comics are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by tony ingram Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Sam_Vimes wrote:All right! It's like discovering a new Batman or Superman, having all these great old comics that geography has made me pretty much oblivious to.
A combination of geography and time, I suspect...

The British comics industry is still far from dead, but I wish it was still as diverse and imaginative as it was thirty or forty years ago.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:13 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Sam_Vimes wrote:All right! It's like discovering a new Batman or Superman, having all these great old comics that geography has made me pretty much oblivious to.
A combination of geography and time, I suspect...

The British comics industry is still far from dead, but I wish it was still as diverse and imaginative as it was thirty or forty years ago.

And it could certainly stand to be a little more widespread. I get 2000 AD, but the shop has to get it special just for me. You know, like it's some weird niche thing. Boggles the mind.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:08 am

Back when Marvel UK still existed as a separate entity, I remember there was a time when they used to export books like Doctor Who Magazine and Knights of Pendragon to the US, but I don't think you ever had access to the traditional British titles from companies like IPC and DC Thomson. There were European editions though, translated into French or Italian or whatever.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Just finished re-reading Watchmen. I reckon that after it ended Dr Manhattan went to Earth and created us, but manipulated history so that the events that would create superheroes never happened and instead Alan Moore was born.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Just finished re-reading Watchmen. I reckon that after it ended Dr Manhattan went to Earth and created us, but manipulated history so that the events that would create superheroes never happened and instead Alan Moore was born.
I actually really like that theory! Very Happy 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:42 pm

God is blue. You heard it here first.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:04 pm

With the state of the world today, I expect he is... Crying or Very sad 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:52 pm

It's 'cos the world is a shoddy job, made by someone who couldn't be bothered to wear underpants.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:It's 'cos the world is a shoddy job, made by someone who couldn't be bothered to wear underpants.
If I was the creator of the universe, I wouldn't bother, either.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:42 pm

As I recall, you once answered your front door in nothing BUT your underpants. You are clearly a man unswayed by considerations of sartorial correctness.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:53 pm

I just got the third Marvel reprint issue of Miracleman and was pretty disappointed at the lack of old stuff in the back. There was a bunch of behind-the-scenes junk and some weird "Warpsmiths" story instead. I hope the next one has more of that old stuff.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:02 pm

The Warpsmiths story was "old stuff", too (or at least, almost as old as the lead strip): the Warpsmiths' solo feature appeared in the anthology magazine A1. You must be about the only American reader I know who actually likes the '50's Marvelman strips!  Very Happy 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Just finished X-Men: Season One, a story about teenagers who want to kiss / go out with each other. Occasionally some mutant powers happen, but it's mainly kissing. Still, it did a good job of portraying why Scott Summers is a good leader. Apparently it's NOT just because his power is kinda lame so he has to stand in the background while other people do the cool stuff Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:53 pm

No, it's also because he is grim, humourless and inscrutable. Inscrutable is good! Very Happy 

As updated retellings went, I thought X-Men: Season One was pretty good, though I miss the corny sixties dialogue of the original (and I still don't believe Warren Worthington can hide a six foot wingspan under a jacket). I was also a little disappointed that the "edited highlights" approach meant we missed out on seeing the introduction of the Brotherhood, or Mastermind, or the Vanisher. But, all things considered, not bad all the same.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:17 pm

I also liked Season One, once I realized which audience they were aiming for. Made me miss Jean, though.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm quite enjoying having her back, for however long, in All-New X-Men. No idea where Bendis is going with it, though.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:30 pm

tony ingram wrote:As updated retellings went, I thought X-Men: Season One was pretty good, though I miss the corny sixties dialogue of the original (and I still don't believe Warren Worthington can hide a six foot wingspan under a jacket).
They must be magical shrinking wings. What I don't believe is that he could possibly hide them in a boarding school. Did they not have swimming lessons, communal showers or shared dorms? Maybe he told everybody that he was gay and they were suddenly desperate not to disrobe with him Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:41 pm

I think that deception would actually have had quite the opposite effect, if this had been an English public school...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:02 pm

I bow to your superior knowledge Razz

Still, why did the book have to centre round 'Who fancies Jean Grey'?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Because if it had centred around 'Who fancies Professor X', it would have been a lot shorter.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:20 pm

He fancies himself.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2