Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire!

4 posters

Go down

Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! Empty Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire!

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:52 am

First appearance of Percy Sheldrake and his son, Cyril, as England's "Knight and Squire": Batman #62, cover-dated December 1950-January 1951 (but on-sale in October of 1950), seventy years ago this year.
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! 001_th10
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! 002_th10

Four years later, Percy and Cyril journeyed to the U.S. along with other Batmen of All Nations in Detective Comics #215 (cover-dated January 1955).
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! 003_de10
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! 004_de10
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! 005_de10
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! 006_de10

Last edited by MajorHoy on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : updated to include year of 1st appearance in the description)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! Empty Re: Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire!

Post by tony ingram Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:48 am

Scraping the bottom of the barrel now, Major! Laughing
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! Empty Re: Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire!

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:44 pm

tony ingram wrote:Scraping the bottom of the barrel now, Major! Laughing  
Nah.

"Scraping the bottom of the barrel" would be something like
Happy 45th Anniversary to the Dingbats of Danger Street!
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! __1st_10
1st Issue Special #6 (September 1975)
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:03 pm

back to Knight and Squire . . .
Knight, Squire, and the other international Batmen-types returned a couple of years later in World's Finest Comics #89 (cover-dated July-August 1957) where they also met up with Superman.

Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _001_w10
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _002_w11
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _003_w10
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _004_w10
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Barry_Allen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:02 pm

MajorHoy wrote:"Scraping the bottom of the barrel" would be something like

I'm not sure I think there is something on the "bottom", in that any of these characters could be fun, interesting, compelling given the correct writer and reader.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
I'm not sure I think there is something on the "bottom", in that any of these characters could be fun, interesting, compelling given the correct writer and reader.
So, maybe a Dingbats of Danger Street written by Alan Moore?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:44 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:
Well, he did resurrect Brother Power the Geek, so...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:37 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Mbast1 wrote:
Sure he could do it! Very Happy Btw, two unpublished Kirby Dingbats of Danger Street were recently reprinted by Twomorrow Publishing in a big Eisner nominated hardcover together with two old Kirby love stories:
cyclops https://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=133&products_id=1434&zenid=25e9fe9c31d3b5f640b9507658c93927
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:07 pm

MajorHoy wrote:back to Knight and Squire . . .
Knight, Squire, and the other international Batmen-types returned a couple of years later in World's Finest Comics #89 (cover-dated July-August 1957) where they also met up with Superman...
While those stories from the 1950s would occasionally be reprinted, it looks like the next new appearance of Knight and Squire would be post-CoIE use in Infinity Inc. #34 (January 1987) where it was revealed that it was the JSA in WWII who inspired them and the other members of the "Club of Heroes".
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001_45
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001b28
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001c27

(Of course, it looks like all that was swept under the rug and forgotten during Grant Morrison's Batman run about twenty years later . . .
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:51 am

Ah, the Global Guardians! So much more could have been done with that group...it always irritated me that Giffen and DeMatteis basically just forgot about this Infinity Inc story when they used the Guardians, and totally screwed up the histories of Icemaiden and Tasmanian Devil.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 pm

Knight and Squire were among those heroes pictured for the entry of "The Dome" in Who's Who Update '87 Vol. 2 (September 1987)
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_000_98
And (future "Sir") Percy Sheldrake was retconned into being The Squire during WWII in Roy Thomas' Young All-Stars story arc "Atom and Evil".
From Young All-Stars #22 (January 1989):
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001_84
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001a84
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001b75
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001c69
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001d57
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001e36

In a later issue, it will turn out that Percy Sheldrake gets a chance to be Squire to Sir Justin (The Shining Knight) during an adventure of the Law's Legionnaires (a.k.a. The Seven Soldiers of Victory).

MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:24 am

I'd completely forgotten that!!!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry_Allen Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:33 am

This Roy Thomas written series, Young All-Stars, remains completely unpublished in my country, in your opinion is it a series worth of attention? Could it be fun to find the single issues now of was it then published in tpbs in the Usa and/or in the Uk? Question
Barry_Allen
Barry_Allen

https://editorialecorno.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:38 am

Barry_Allen wrote:This Roy Thomas written series, Young All-Stars, remains completely unpublished in my country, in your opinion is it a series worth of attention? Could it be fun to find the single issues now of was it then published in tpbs in the Usa and/or in the Uk? Question
I don't think it's ever been reprinted, but it shouldn't be hard to track down the original issues cheaply. It gets a lot of negativity aimed at it, I think mainly because All-Star Squadron fans resent the fact that it replaced their book, but I really enjoyed it.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:38 am

Barry_Allen wrote:This Roy Thomas written series, Young All-Stars, remains completely unpublished in my country, in your opinion is it a series worth of attention? Could it be fun to find the single issues now of was it then published in tpbs in the Usa and/or in the Uk? Question
I don't think it's ever been reprinted, but it shouldn't be hard to track down the original issues cheaply. It gets a lot of negativity aimed at it, I think mainly because All-Star Squadron fans resent the fact that it replaced their book, but I really enjoyed it.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:50 pm

tony ingram wrote:
To me, the problems with Young All-Stars were that Roy seemed to have been running out of gas. He had his original series turned upside-down as a result of CoIE, and at times it didn't seem like he knew what he wanted to do with YA-S. The "Golden Age" Fury was originally brought in to be a pseudo-replacement for Golden Age Wonder Woman, but then she became more of a Golden Age-version of Donna Troy instead of Diana. (This resulted in Roy then reviving a character he killed off, Quality's version of Miss America, to be the Wonder Woman stand-in instead.)
Also, YA-S did tend to bring out the worst of Roy's old-school "wordiness" style of writing when the majority of other comic book writing at that time seemed to be moving away from explaining EVERYTHING in word balloons and narration boxes. It was a style of writing I had grown up with, but Roy really should have done a little bit more editing in what he wrote.
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:16 am

MajorHoy wrote:Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! -_001e41
In a later issue, it will turn out that Percy Sheldrake gets a chance to be Squire to Sir Justin (The Shining Knight) during an adventure of the Law's Legionnaires (a.k.a. The Seven Soldiers of Victory).
tony ingram wrote:I'd completely forgotten that!!!
From Young All-Stars #27 (July 1989):
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _002_c10

Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _002a_13
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _002b_13
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _002c_10

NOTE: The original for that was in Leading Comics #5 (Winter 1942)
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _003_c10
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _003a_11
Happy Anniversary to DC's Knight and Squire! _003b_11Back in the days when Golden Age Green Arrow and Speedy were still in continuity, and Wing was treated as a stereotypical comic relief minority . . .

MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down