Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain?

+3
MajorHoy
Lucy Ingram
Philip K Ditko
7 posters

Go down

Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain?

Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_lcap0%Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_lcap33%Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_lcap17%Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_lcap33%Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_lcap0%Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_lcap17%Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Empty Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain?

Post by tony ingram Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Stan Lee and the other architects of the early Marvel Universe created dozens, or more likely hundreds of bad guys over a few short years. Some, like Dr Doom, Magneto, Loki and the Green Goblin, became major players. Others, like Electro or the Leader, have stayed around as constant but prominent second stringers. But what about those others who for one reason or another were used more sparingly over the years or have just faded into obscurity? Who were the guys who coulda been contenders if given a chance...but weren't? And why did they not fulfil their potential?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Empty Re: Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain?

Post by tony ingram Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:47 pm

My vote for all-time most wasted Marvel villain, incidentally, goes to my favourite X-Men foe, Gunther Bain; the seemingly unkillable Unus the Untouchable!
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Empty Re: Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain?

Post by Philip K Ditko Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Unus is way underutilised. The Marvel Chronology Project lists him as having about a third as many appearances as his less interesting buddy, the Blob.
According to Wikipedia, Unus legally changed his name on coming to the USA from Italy, from Angelo Unuscione to Gunther Bain (a fine American name). Do you know whose idea that was or why they thought it was necessary?
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:23 am

I quite agree. Unus is a potentially great character but he only seems to get trotted out about once a decade, and he's been killed off at least twice so far! Ironically, I think the best Unus story was not actually an X-Men story but an issue of Power-Man & Iron Fist in which he was doing nothing more ambitious than robbing shops armed with a baseball bat.

The name change occured between the first and second volumes of The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, IIRC. Unus seems to have been one of a number of characters who were "ethnic-ed up" in order to give the MU the illusion of more diversity since they'd just realized not all their readers were Americans. The Rhino was another. And this was also when Pyro became Australian rather than British and the Black Widow and Colossus's real names became the supposedly more authentic sounding Natalia Romanova and Ptior Rasputin instead of Natasha Romanoff and Peter Nikolaievitch Rasputin. It was all rather random.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 am

I should really have added the Ani-Men to this list...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:40 am

But they're a group, and the rest of the list is single villains.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Might as well revisit a few of these.

From Volume 1 of The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983-84):
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 01_mas10
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 02_unu10
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 03_uni10
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 04_mel11
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 05_pla11
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 am

I had to dig a little deeper for the others:

Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Metal_10
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Miracl10
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Kurrgo10
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? Tales_15
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 am

MajorHoy wrote:Might as well revisit a few of these.

From Volume 1 of The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983-84):
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 01_mas10
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 02_unu10
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 03_uni10
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 04_mel11
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 05_pla11
Hey, I was actually telling Lucy about Unus just a couple of days ago! I do wish someone would use him again.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm

By the way, I know he has had a few outfits, but I'm not sure which looks dumber: that one on Plant Man or this one for Chlorophyll Kid:
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 000_pl10

Razz
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:30 pm

MajorHoy wrote:By the way, I know he has had a few outfits, but I'm not sure which looks dumber: that one on Plant Man or this one for Chlorophyll Kid:
Most Underutilized Silver Age Marvel Villain? 000_pl10

Razz  
Trust me, it's the Kid.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:43 am

Unus for me, with Unicorn at a close second. And I also don't think they use Diablo enough.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:37 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:And I also don't think they use Diablo enough.
A sentence I don't think anyone has ever said before. Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:09 am

I can do you one better: I miss Wundarr.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:37 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:I can do you one better: I miss Wundarr.
Oh, I miss Wundarr! A lot of untapped potential, there...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Is this the character who later became Aquarian? If so, that could be fun, either version.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Is he technically a Bronze Age creation (since he first appeared in a Man-Thing story in 1973)?
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by karatattoo Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:46 pm

Miracle Man.

"Nuff Said!! Very Happy
karatattoo
karatattoo

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:13 am

karatattoo wrote:Miracle Man.

"Nuff Said!! Very Happy
Actually, I might well go along with that. If it weren't for the Metal Master.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down