Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:34 pm

In the latest issue of The Avengers, out this week, the rivalry which writer Jonathan Hickman has been building up between Namor the Sub-Mariner and T'Challa, the Black Panther, comes to a spectacular conclusion as T'Challa tries to stab Namor to death, which would be a somewhat ignominious end for the very first Marvel character and one of the oldest American comics characters (Namor first appeared in an issue dated April 1939, a month earlier than DC's Batman). It's a logical development: Namor's kingdom of Atlantis and T'Challa's kingdom of Wakanda have been enemies since Defenders #83 (1980) and Atlantis basically bombed Wakanda out of existence a little while ago. But even though a wounded Namor is left on a doomed world, I suspect it's the Panther that's in trouble.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:37 am

I suspect it's Marvel that may be in trouble. Wink

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:38 am

Nah, they'll be OK. They always are.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Lucy McGough on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:35 am

I'd put money on T'Challa being the victor. He's super-fit and super-smart, and he has a PhD in physics from Oxford University. Is Namor an Oxbridge graduate?

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:22 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:I'd put money on T'Challa being the victor. He's super-fit and super-smart, and he has a PhD in physics from Oxford University. Is Namor an Oxbridge graduate?
No, but he has superhuman strength, superhuman durability, and really interesting ears.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by MajorHoy on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:42 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:I'd put money on T'Challa being the victor. He's super-fit and super-smart, and he has a PhD in physics from Oxford University. Is Namor an Oxbridge graduate?
No, but he has superhuman strength, superhuman durability, and really interesting ears.
Can he have "superhuman strength" if he's not a human? Shocked

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Well, he's half human.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:17 am

By the way, this thing with Panther killing Namor happens in the future, doesn't it? Aren't Hickman's Avengers titles doing a kind of Futures End thing? (I only read two issues of the Illuminati-starring Bastard Avengers, though I did read more of the adjectiveless Avengers until it was about to get sucked into yet another frequent Marvel EVENT® (collect them ALL!) that was soon quickly ignored.

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:14 am

MajorHoy wrote:By the way, this thing with Panther killing Namor happens in the future, doesn't it? Aren't Hickman's Avengers titles doing a kind of Futures End thing? (I only read two issues of the Illuminati-starring Bastard Avengers, though I did read more of the adjectiveless Avengers until it was about to get sucked into yet another frequent Marvel EVENT® (collect them ALL!) that was soon quickly ignored.
Eight months in the future, yes.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Lucy McGough on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Anyone can have superhuman strength. That's what chimpanzees, oxen, horses and elephants have, for example. It just means 'more than human'.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Anyone can have superhuman strength. That's what chimpanzees, oxen, horses and elephants have, for example. It just means 'more than human'.
You take all the fun out of everything, McGough. Mad

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by MajorHoy on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:47 am

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:By the way, this thing with Panther killing Namor happens in the future, doesn't it? Aren't Hickman's Avengers titles doing a kind of Futures End thing? (I only read two issues of the Illuminati-starring Bastard Avengers, though I did read more of the adjectiveless Avengers until it was about to get sucked into yet another frequent Marvel EVENT® (collect them ALL!) that was soon quickly ignored.
Eight months in the future, yes.
So, any chance that "Eight Months Later . . . " stuff doesn't actually happen and is just a possible near-term future?

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:11 am

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:By the way, this thing with Panther killing Namor happens in the future, doesn't it? Aren't Hickman's Avengers titles doing a kind of Futures End thing? (I only read two issues of the Illuminati-starring Bastard Avengers, though I did read more of the adjectiveless Avengers until it was about to get sucked into yet another frequent Marvel EVENT® (collect them ALL!) that was soon quickly ignored.
Eight months in the future, yes.
So, any chance that "Eight Months Later . . . " stuff doesn't actually happen and is just a possible near-term future?
It's entirely possible, but I'm not putting money on it. I'm totally bewildered by what Hickman is doing, to be honest.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by MajorHoy on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:03 pm

tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:By the way, this thing with Panther killing Namor happens in the future, doesn't it? Aren't Hickman's Avengers titles doing a kind of Futures End thing? (I only read two issues of the Illuminati-starring Bastard Avengers, though I did read more of the adjectiveless Avengers until it was about to get sucked into yet another frequent Marvel EVENT® (collect them ALL!) that was soon quickly ignored.
Eight months in the future, yes.
So, any chance that "Eight Months Later . . . " stuff doesn't actually happen and is just a possible near-term future?
It's entirely possible, but I'm not putting money on it. I'm totally bewildered by what Hickman is doing, to be honest.
Well, I'm not reading Hickman's Avengers/Nuclear Avengers, and I didn't read Axis, but from what bits and pieces I hear, I'm totally bewildered by what Marvel is doing anyway.

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:10 pm

Between Hickman's Avengers, Spiderverse and what's happening in the X-books, the Marvel multiverse appears to be unravelling. I'm half expecting the arrival of the Anti-Watcher!

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Lucy McGough on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:51 pm

tony ingram wrote:You take all the fun out of everything, McGough. Mad
Au contraire. I'm just a fan of accuracy.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:19 pm

tony ingram wrote:Between Hickman's Avengers, Spiderverse and what's happening in the X-books, the Marvel multiverse appears to be unravelling. I'm half expecting the arrival of the Anti-Watcher!

Close enough. Looks as if they're rebooting:

http://www.newsarama.com/23276-the-marvel-universe-is-ending.html

(At least, that's what people seem to be expecting, a reboot)

Mbast1

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:01 pm

And that will be me done with Marvel after forty years, just as 2011 saw me part company with DC after thirty six. Clearly, they really don't want their older longtime fans anymore.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:35 pm

At least in this new universe Mary-Jane and Peter can get married again.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by MajorHoy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:13 pm

tony ingram wrote:And that will be me done with Marvel after forty years, just as 2011 saw me part company with DC after thirty six. Clearly, they really don't want their older longtime fans anymore.
But what if it's more like a CoIE change where there's much that stays somewhat as it was vs. the New 52 throwing the baby out with most of the bathwater?

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:41 pm

It's not sounding much like it, to be honest.

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:53 pm

OK, things are now getting interesting. Namor has survived, the New Avengers appear to have fallen apart, and it looks as though the guiding hand behind the collapse of the multiverse is...the Beyonders, the mysterious, godlike race who once stole Counter Earth, and who were once thought to be responsible for the creation of the Beyonder himself! Here comes another Secret War!

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:12 pm

tony ingram wrote:OK, things are now getting interesting. Namor has survived, the New Avengers appear to have fallen apart, and it looks as though the guiding hand behind the collapse of the multiverse is...the Beyonders, the mysterious, godlike race who once stole Counter Earth, and who were once thought to be responsible for the creation of the Beyonder himself! Here comes =redacted=
Hey!

You know what they say about "Loose lips . . . " Mad

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:06 pm

Well, I doubt if there's anyone on the internet who hasn't worked it out...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by MajorHoy on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:20 pm

tony ingram wrote:Well, I doubt if there's anyone on the internet who hasn't worked it out...
But . . . but . . . it's a ecret-say! Shocked

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:16 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Well, I doubt if there's anyone on the internet who hasn't worked it out...
But . . . but . . . it's a ecret-say! Shocked  
A..what?

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by MajorHoy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:02 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_Latin

MajorHoy

Posts : 898
Join date : 2012-06-17
Location : Connecticut, North America, Eastern Time Zone, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:58 am

Strong hints going around now that, despite having been decapitated on-panel, Namor may be about to return...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Mbast1 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:23 am

tony ingram wrote:Strong hints going around now that, despite having been decapitated on-panel, Namor may be about to return...

I feel as if someone has lost their mind, and I just can't tell if it's me or everyone else.

I stopped reading Squadron Supreme (despite looking forward to it) for just this act. This sounds awful.

Mbast1

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:37 am

Well, it's not really any worse than Geoff Johns's penchant for ripping people's arms off...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Mbast1 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:52 pm

tony ingram wrote:Well, it's not really any worse than Geoff Johns's penchant for ripping people's arms off...

True, but I'm more bothered by murder in general that any specific mechanism.

Mbast1

Posts : 1064
Join date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Lucy McGough on Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Whose arms has he ripped off? Have the police been informed?

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:27 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Whose arms has he ripped off? Have the police been informed?
Of his crimes against literature? They should be...

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Lucy McGough on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:25 pm

Hey, Geoff Johns isn't that bad.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by tony ingram on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Lucy McGough wrote:Hey, Geoff Johns isn't that bad.
Have you read Infinite Crisis?

tony ingram
Admin

Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 46
Location : The Wilds of Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Lucy McGough on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:19 pm

I have people to do that sort of thing for me.

Lucy McGough

Posts : 2125
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 28
Location : Northwich, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Murders Their First Ever Hero?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:09 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum