Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best death scene in a comic book

+7
Sam_Vimes
BluesShark
alanultron5
GBF
MR X
felneymike
Hourglass
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Best death scene in a comic book - Page 3 Empty Re: Best death scene in a comic book

Post by tony ingram Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
Then you're gonna hate me. Thing is, I just don't care. Comics have been contradicting themselves since really early on, and it doesn't bother me. I read the story, if I like it good, if not I move on. I like when things connect, but I don't really see why the writers should be held to making it all fit.
But, that's my own preference.
Heretic! Blasphemer! Trees died to make all those editions of Who's Who in the DCU and The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe! Wilt thou let their leafy sacrifice be in vain!!? Mad
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Best death scene in a comic book - Page 3 Empty Re: Best death scene in a comic book

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:07 am

Mbast1 wrote: Then you're gonna hate me. Thing is, I just don't care. Comics have been contradicting themselves since really early on, and it doesn't bother me. I read the story, if I like it good, if not I move on. I like when things connect, but I don't really see why the writers should be held to making it all fit.
But, that's my own preference.

Aw, I couldn't hate YOU, Mbast1. And you misunderstand. It's fine not to care (well, "fine" might be too strong a word. . .maybe if you imagine me looking hopelessly bewildered while I say it my true meaning will get across) what's NOT fine is viciously defending writers for not caring. I've never seen you do that, but I have seen others do that. It got ugly.

Honestly, though, I feel that if someone doesn't want to be restricted by the works of other writers then they should come up with their own ideas.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:08 am

tony ingram wrote:Heretic! Blasphemer! Trees died to make all those editions of Who's Who in the DCU and The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe! Wilt thou let their leafy sacrifice be in vain!!? Mad

Good point. The architects of the New 52 clearly hate the environment.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:34 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Heretic! Blasphemer! Trees died to make all those editions of Who's Who in the DCU and The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe! Wilt thou let their leafy sacrifice be in vain!!? Mad

Good point. The architects of the New 52 clearly hate the environment.
There is clearly no end to their perfidy.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:56 pm

[quote="tony ingram"]
Mbast1 wrote:Heretic! Blasphemer! Trees died to make all those editions of Who's Who in the DCU and The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe! Wilt thou let their leafy sacrifice be in vain!!? Mad

In vein?
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Sat May 04, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm another fan of the Swordsman's death scene in Giant Size Avengers #2. I think the final page had the benefit of uncredited inking by Neal Adams. Other memorable deaths include Elektra in Daredevil #181, the Ancient One in Marvel Premiere #10, Crackajack Jackson in Incredible Hulk #182, Al Harper in Silver Surfer #5, Jim Wilson in Incredible Hulk #420, Kraven the Hunter in Amazing Spider-Man #294, Barry Allen in Crisis on Infinite Earths #8, Captain Stacy in Amazing Spider-Man #90, Elf with a Gun in Defenders #46, Scorpio in Defenders #50, Terra in Tales of the Teen Titans Annual #3, Rorschach in Watchmen #12, The Writer (Grant Morrison) in Suicide Squad #58, Menthor in Thunder Agents #7, Union Jack in Captain America #253, Johnny Bates in Miracleman #15

Last edited by Philip K Ditko on Tue May 07, 2013 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat May 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Scorpio! Oh, yes-Jake Fury's suicide was genuinely sad and shocking. A shame a later writer rendered it pretty much meaningless by bringing him back (as indeed, they did with Elektra, the Ancient One, Kraven the Hunter and Barry Allen. And, for that matter, the Swordsman, though his resurrection has been quietly ignored since Chaos War: Dead Avengers #3).

Apparently, Kid Miracleman was to have returned in Miracleman #25...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:39 pm

tony ingram wrote:Apparently,  Kid Miracleman was to have returned in Miracleman #25...

Which we may yet get to see!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:59 am

I take it you're buying the reprints? Very Happy
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:38 pm

tony ingram wrote:I take it you're buying the reprints? Very Happy

I am, although I haven't read any of them yet. I am, as I've been doing with a lot of things, waiting to read them in larger chunks. Many modern comics just don't have much to them in slices.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Mbast1 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I take it you're buying the reprints? Very Happy

I am, although I haven't read any of them yet. I am, as I've been doing with a lot of things, waiting to read them in larger chunks. Many modern comics just don't have much to them in slices.
They do seem to be padding them out with a lot of largely unnecessary extras (pages of scans of pencil art) to bump up the price...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:12 pm

tony ingram wrote:They do seem to be padding them out with a lot of largely unnecessary extras (pages of scans of pencil art) to bump up the price...

True, but considering how much the original issues cost, this isn't so bad.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:42 am

I bought them for cover price at the time. Cool
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:51 pm

tony ingram wrote:I bought them for cover price at the time. Cool

As did I. I was there from the beginning in the U.S. but I've had to sell things more than once. And buying them back wasn't cheap.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Philip K Ditko wrote:Rorschach in Watchmen #12

This is one I think really works, and not just because it's Alan Moore. Well, it IS Moore, but less because of this reputation and more because of how he earned it. At that point in the story, there really wasn't anything else which could be done. Rorschach would have told if he'd been allowed to live, but he also knew he would then put the world back on the path to extinction. He told Doctor Manhattan the truth.

And, damn it, I see how that lines up with Man of Steel. Then again, Doctor Manhattan isn't Superman.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:08 pm

I still think Rorschach is the only remotely sympathetic character in tat series, despite being a maniac. That's how good a writer Moore is.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:02 am

tony ingram wrote:I still think Rorschach is the only remotely sympathetic character in tat series, despite being a maniac. That's how good a writer Moore is.
Moore is a good writer, yes, but didn't you sympathise with Doctor Manhattan and the two Owlmen too?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:47 am

Lucy McGough wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I still think Rorschach is the only remotely sympathetic character in tat series, despite being a maniac. That's how good a writer Moore is.
Moore is a good writer, yes, but didn't you sympathise with Doctor Manhattan and the two Owlmen too?
With Mason, yes, but Dreiberg less so. Ad dr Manhattan, I think, was intended to be unrelatable.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:38 am

In that case, does the fact that I relate to him make Moore a bad writer? Very Happy
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Uh, I don't think that's down to Moore's writing, in that he was not meant to be sympathetic. In interviews with Moore, he was meant to be "the other side" of Ditko's Objectivist Question. He was meant to be someone you'd want nothing to do with.
I think Nite Owl 2 and Silk Spectre 2 were meant to be sympathetic, and to me they were. Vaguely human, messy.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:17 pm

Ah. Possibly I'm rather more like Rorschach than anyone would want to admit, then.
Forget I said anything... Embarassed
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:34 pm

tony ingram wrote:Ah. Possibly I'm rather more like Rorschach than anyone would want to admit, then.

I doubt that!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:32 pm

Hurrmm...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:36 am

You're not even ginger.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3