Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why)

+7
Silogramsam
Spektre
Philip K Ditko
BluesShark
Sam_Vimes
Mbast1
GBF
11 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Favourite DC Comics Character or Team

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_lcap17%Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 2 ]
Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_lcap25%Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]
Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_lcap0%Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_lcap0%Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_lcap25%Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_lcap17%Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_lcap16%Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 12

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Empty Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why)

Post by tony ingram Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:23 pm

In the wake of DC's decision to reboot their entire line, dropping several characters and reinventing others, I thought it might be interesting to ask who are everyone's most popular DC characters and/or teams-and why you like them! There's a poll attached, but feel free to champion characters not included...

For myself, I'd have to go for the Justice Society of America. The sheer weight of their history has always impressed me, and I love the idea of superhero elder statesmen, though I'd be hard pressed to single out any one member as my favourite; probably it'd be a tie between the Flash (Jay Garrick, he of the tin hat) and Green Lantern (Alan Scott). Other strong contenders would be 19th Century gunman Jonah Hex, the Secret Society of Super Villains, Jack Kirby's Kamandi and the Freedom Fighters. Anyone else?

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) All-StarComics72
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Empty Re: Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why)

Post by GBF Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:15 am

I was always a Marvel fan, so this is based on Miller's vision in 'Dark Knight' and the films ('Begins' and Ledger).
GBF
GBF

http://www.glennbfleming.com

Back to top Go down

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Empty Re: Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why)

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 am

GBF wrote:I was always a Marvel fan, so this is based on Miller's vision in 'Dark Knight' and the films ('Begins' and Ledger).
Dark Knight is still a classic, I agree (though I thought the sequel a few years ago was pointless). But there's only one definitive screen Batman...

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Batman
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:01 am

Julie Newmar and the woman who went onto Time Tunnel are still two of my fave 'woman I'll never get to sleep with'...can I say that without Luce jumping on my head?? cyclops
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 am

GBF wrote:Julie Newmar and the woman who went onto Time Tunnel are still two of my fave 'woman I'll never get to sleep with'...can I say that without Luce jumping on my head?? cyclops
That would be Lee Merriweather. Who was, I agree, purrrfect as Catwoman. It was eartha Kitt I had a problem with-her, and the bloke with the moustache who played the Riddler when Frank Gorshin was unavailable in series 3. The Riddler is suddenly a foot shorter with a big bushy 'tache and Catwoman is inexplicably twenty years older and black-and we weren't supposed to notice? Shocked
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Eartha Kitt was a brilliant singer/performer - I don't think it mattered when she turned up as Cat Woman! did you see her a couple of years ago on Jools Holland? She was a bout 80 (it was just before she died) and she scared the hell out of him - she was a very cool, classy, sexy lady!
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Well, she was certainly better than the latest Catwoman...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:27 am

J'onn J'onzz.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:04 am

Lucy McGough wrote:J'onn J'onzz.
Any particular reason?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:04 am

I'll give you a reason later. Right now, I have to pack my laptop in my suitcase ready to go home Sad
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by GBF Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:24 am

I bet J'onn Jonzz doesn't have to pack his laptop...his lunchbox, yeah - but not his laptop!
GBF
GBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:35 am

Honestly, boys, you're so childish Razz

J'onn is my favourite because he is: compassionate, stoical, hard-working, selfless, strong, brave, lonely, thoughtful, intelligent and quiet. And he has a very dry sense of humour. And he is a great mentor for the younger heroes.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:41 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Honestly, boys, you're so childish Razz

J'onn is my favourite because he is: compassionate, green, stoical, green, hard-working, green, selfless, strong, brave, lonely, thoughtful, intelligent, quiet and green. And he has a very dry sense of humour. And he is a great mentor for the younger heroes.

And he's green

Who are you calling childish? Razz
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:02 am

Well, if we're going to start making personal remarks, I would just like to point out that you are far too tall Razz
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:22 am

Lucy McGough wrote:Well, if we're going to start making personal remarks, I would just like to point out that you are far too tall Razz
But not green...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:38 am

From J'onn's point of view, it's us who are weird. We're not even telepathic. It must be like living with a whole planet of deaf people.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:29 am

Lucy McGough wrote:From J'onn's point of view, it's us who are weird. We're not even telepathic. It must be like living with a whole planet of deaf people.
You mean you aren't telepathic? Weird...

You do realize the rest of us are, right?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:27 pm

That explains a lot Smile
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:38 am

Lucy McGough wrote:From J'onn's point of view, it's us who are weird. We're not even telepathic. It must be like living with a whole planet of deaf people.

You know, that's a brilliant piece of character insight.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:49 am

Mbast1 wrote:

You know, that's a brilliant piece of character insight.

Yikes. It sure is.

Incidentally, my favorite is Batman. Adam West sold me on him before I could read, and once I could a Batman storybook was the first thing I read for fun. The comics followed shortly thereafter, and I've never loved another character more.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:55 am

Adam West is still the definitive screen Batman, for me. If you've never read it, his autobiography "Back to the Batcave" is well worth a look.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:10 am

Not only have I not read it, I didn't even know it existed. I am in your debt, Tony Ingram. I think I'll be hitting the bookstore tomorrow.
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:08 am

Another couple worth looking out for are 'Excelsior: the Amazing Life of Stan Lee' by George Mair (a biography of The Man, obviously) and 'Tales to Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and the American Comic Book Revolution' by Ronin Ro (primarily a biography of Kirby, though also heavily focused at times on his relationship with Stan and touching on more general comics related subjects).
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:33 am

Whoops. Voted other then forgot to post...

Strangely, I was never a DC fan in my youth. They were difficult to get hold of and when you did they seemed strange and derivative. These days I have a much larger affection for a much wider spread of DC than Marvel characters. So this is difficult for me. It could be Dr Fate, it could be Zatanna (introduced in the first multi-part title cross over in comics history - the first 'event' if you will), it could (and in many ways I thought it would be) The Doom Patrol in all their weird and wonderful incarnations. There's a small gibbering thing at the back of my mind that loves Detective Chimp simply because no one else does.

But when it came down to it, I knew who it was really. Another Gardner Fox creation (most of todays writers aren't fit to tie his shoelaces) and the Archives of his original 60's adventures are things of true beauty, with lumionous visions of the future by Carmine Infantino that have arguably never been matched in comics. The stories themselves are wonders of economy, 7 page marvels written to order to fit the cover and at their heart they have a real couple, a genuine love story that crosses the galaxy. So for me, it's Adam Strange, The Man of Two Worlds.

(You'd get a picture but I can't work out how to attach one. Mea Culpa.)

Oh, and on the subject of worthwhile books about the history of Comics, I can't recommend Gerard Jones' Men Of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book highly enough.

Last edited by BluesShark on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:38 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Afterthought)
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:56 am

One Adam Strange image, as required...

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) Adam

This may seem a strange question, but thinking of Adam Strange led me to thinking of Strange Adventures, and that brought it to mind; does anyone else remember a rather obscure sixties DC character called Cliff Battles, AKA the Split-Man?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesShark Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:18 am

There's my man! Cheers Tony. (I will work out how to post images in due course, I promise!) I love the echoes of Hugo Gernbach's Amazing Stories in his costume (and he even fared OK in the 90's and 00's with his re-designed suit. Miracles will never cease. I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin him in the DCNU. Crying or Very sad )

As for your second question, I'm afraid not. From what little nformation there is on the net it looks proper bonkers though.
BluesShark
BluesShark

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:29 am

Poor old Cliff was pretty much the only recurring character never to be revived post-Crisis, or even to get a cameo in COIE itself. A serious injustice, I feel; he was at least as serious as the Multi-Alien or Space Cabby, and they both came back...
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Wed May 22, 2013 6:45 pm

My favourite DC characters include: John Constantine, the Question (Vic Sage) (okay, not created by DC, but I loved the O'Neil/Cowan series they published), Chunk, Jonah Hex, Swamp Thing, Electric Warrior, the Joker and Darkseid. JC gets the vote.
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Wed May 22, 2013 7:27 pm

I assume you mean the real JC, not the current JC? Twisted Evil
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip K Ditko Thu May 23, 2013 5:51 pm

I've not read any new comics in about 6 months, so I've not sampled the new Constantine series yet. I thought the version in Justice League Dark (terrible name for a series) wasn't a patch on the version in Hellblazer, but he still had a few mildly amusing lines, such as describing a scene as a complete toilet, just like Manchester and calling Felix Faust a total wanker.
Philip K Ditko
Philip K Ditko

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu May 23, 2013 5:58 pm

I dropped DC completely in September 2011. I sampled the first months' worth of the New 52 in my local comic shop (with the owner's permission, I hasten to add) and decided that DC and I were finished from then on after 36 years as a fan. The only books from them that stayed on my pull list were the Vertigo titles I was buying, so I finally said goodbye to John when Hellblazer was cancelled.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spektre Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:45 am

Strangely for me, my favorites were seldom individuals but TEAMS< with the JLA always tops in my book.

But more than even the teams was the continuity. For me, take away the continuity and it really doesn't matter to me "That a man can fly".
Spektre
Spektre

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:44 am

Aside from the fact that would have said JSA not JLA, my sentiments entirely.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:07 am

Yes, teams are the best — how they interact with and support one another. After all, humans are a social species.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:13 am

Team books have usually been among my favourites, as far as the superhero stuff goes. The Justice Society, the Defenders, the Avengers, the Freedom Fighters, the Invaders and the All-Star Squadron in particular. The interplay between characters is as important as the main plot, if not moreso. That's why I've gone off the Avengers a bit in recent years, since Brian Bendis and the writers who've followed him have pretty much abandoned all the characters I used to like and changed or dispensed with the interpersonal relationships of the rest. I wish they'd try to get all that back.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:06 am

Grant Morrison's JLA FTW!

Oh, and Watchmen. That totally counts as a team book, right?
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:08 am

Hmm, I...suppose so. It's certainly about more than one character.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy Ingram Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:53 am

So are most books, apart from Robinson Crusoe. And even his solitude is disturbed by Friday.
Lucy Ingram
Lucy Ingram

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:42 am

Lucy McGough wrote:So are most books, apart from Robinson Crusoe. And even his solitude is disturbed by Friday.
Well, at least he had a bit of peace from Monday to Thursday.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spektre Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:28 pm

tony ingram wrote:
Lucy McGough wrote:So are most books, apart from Robinson Crusoe. And even his solitude is disturbed by Friday.
Well, at least he had a bit of peace from Monday to Thursday.

He plays two shows Saturday folks!
Spektre
Spektre

Back to top Go down

Post by Silogramsam Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Superman - why? To quote Jimmy Olsen to Rocky Davis in New Frontier: "Well, gee, he's Superman!"

If you asked for favorite, less popular DC characters, I'd go for Mr. Terrific (see my avatar), Captain Comet (before Starlin got his hands on him) and Manhunter Paul Kirk!
Silogramsam
Silogramsam

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:24 pm

The first Mr Terrific story I ever read basically began with him being murdered. However, I was intrigued by him at the time, and I have since read quite a few of his appearances. A good character, very underused, I think. As for Captain Comet, the only time I really liked him when when he was sparring with the Secret Society of Super Villains. And Manhunter, obviously, was at his best in the Walt Simonson series.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorHoy Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:03 pm

tony ingram wrote: . . . For myself, I'd have to go for the Justice Society of America. The sheer weight of their history has always impressed me, and I love the idea of superhero elder statesmen, though I'd be hard pressed to single out any one member as my favourite; probably it'd be a tie between the Flash (Jay Garrick, he of the tin hat) and Green Lantern (Alan Scott) . . .
I voted the JSA, but I would really expand that to include all of the All-Star Squadron.

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) 1279206-george_perez_and_marv_wolfman__the_history_of_the_dc_universe__page__023
MajorHoy
MajorHoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:08 pm

Major! Welcome! Very Happy 
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silogramsam Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:26 pm

tony ingram wrote:The first Mr Terrific story I ever read basically began with him being murdered. However, I was intrigued by him at the time, and I have since read quite a few of his appearances. A good character, very underused, I think. As for Captain Comet, the only time I really liked him when when he was sparring with the Secret Society of Super Villains. And Manhunter, obviously, was at his best in the Walt Simonson series.

My first Mr. T story was the JLA/JSA crossover from 1965 (Earth-Without a Justice League/Crisis on Earth-A, which also gave us the E1 Johnny Thunder and was the E2 Johnny THunder and Thunderbolt first JLA/JSA appearance (although Johnny was unconscious for most of the story). And I just liked him (plus he fought the alternate Batman). Captain Comet was a reprint backup somewhere in the 60s and I just liked him too. And in Secret Society he was great and even better in L.E.G.I.O.N. et al. And then in Maggin's novelization of Kingdom Come, Maggin wrote him really well. As for Manhunter, I agree with you but I always liked the original costume (although I never figured out how it stayed on and how Kirk breathed in it or blinked his eyes for that matter).
Silogramsam
Silogramsam

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:45 pm

I'd completely forgotten L.E.G.I.O.N! Yes, Comet was pretty good in that, too, actually. One of those titles that was always a decent read, but often gets overlooked (well, by me, anyway, evidently).
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silogramsam Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Comet and Valor were the only 2 characters in LEGION and REBELS that were always doing the right thing and were admirable from a reader's perspective.
Silogramsam
Silogramsam

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Silogramsam wrote:Comet and Valor were the only 2 characters in LEGION and REBELS that were always doing the right thing and were admirable from a reader's perspective.
What about Garv?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silogramsam Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Favourite DC Comics Character (and Why) 632606-garv

Here he is, alongside Adam Blake!
Silogramsam
Silogramsam

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Not really "alongside". More "looming over".
I always liked Garv.

They don't look happy, do they? Have they just found out they've been cancelled?
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next