Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grant Morrison

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Grant Morrison - Page 2 Empty Re: Grant Morrison

Post by Mbast1 Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:38 pm

freedumbdclxvi wrote:i'm not sure why.

I was told it's not actually due until this week. Not what I'd read, but the shops around here all seem to think that's true.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 pm

i was wondering if that was the case, but midtown had it last week, as well as a number of fans who posted on frank quitely's facebook. this isn't the first time that's happened around here with such releases, though. Sad i'm not sure what's the reasoning for it.

at any rate, my copy came in from midtown today. it's a beautiful hardcover. i've read the intro, but i haven't made it into the story yet. i'll be working on that later.

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:56 pm

freedumbdclxvi wrote:i was wondering if that was the case, but midtown had it last week, as well as a number of fans who posted on frank quitely's facebook. this isn't the first time that's happened around here with such releases, though. Sad i'm not sure what's the reasoning for it..

I have seen a number of things show up at Barnes and Noble weeks before my LCS gets it.

freedumbdclxvi wrote:it's a beautiful hardcover.

I don't need to know that...
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Mbast1 wrote:I have seen a number of things show up at Barnes and Noble weeks before my LCS gets it.

same here. one big one was the first volume of waid's current daredevil run. no lcs around here has had it come in yet, but one can grab it from b&n or amazon.

Mbast1 wrote:I don't need to know that...

i'll try not to tempt you. although there are a number of them on ebay currently. so, your money wouldn't technically be going to dc...

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:57 am

freedumbdclxvi wrote:no lcs around here has had it come in yet, but one can grab it from b&n or amazon.

I understand it's the difference between DC and WB, but it just seems stupid to get stuff to non-comics stores first, just from the perspective that it encourages people to shop there rather than at the LCS. Seems like DC would make a case against this.

Mbast1 wrote:I don't need to know that...

freedumbdclxvi wrote:i'll try not to tempt you. although there are a number of them on ebay currently. so, your money wouldn't technically be going to dc...

I'll live...
I haven't been to my shop in a while, due to changing my work schedule. If I get there tomorrow (I hope) and it's not in my pile of stuff being held, I'll look into Ebay. I didn't even think of that. Thanks!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:17 pm

no prob!

on a slightly different note, i picked up the new batman inc hardcover from my lcs today. (and, funny enough, i called on wed to see if they came in. at first, they answered no, but then apparently they got a late delivery just moments before that had it in there.) it's also quite beautiful. i'm still sad that the final volume of grant's run has to be saddled with the new continuity (and thus a lack of steph and cass plus selina not knowing bruce's identity), but hopefully it doesn't hamper it too much.

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Sorry, but to me it's not the same story. I just can't accept the new continuity at all.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:45 pm

i get that, but i've been waiting for the endgame for quite a while. i just wish they'd have allowed him to finish his tale in the pre fp continuity. i'm not really sure what the issue would have been -- it's not like i can't differentiate the two universes. (in fact, i'm quite curious to see if grant somehow acknowledges the differences in story -- perhaps the seven new pages we're getting in the absolute edition of final crisis will somehow give an in morrison continuity reasoning for it?)

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 pm

freedumbdclxvi wrote:no prob!

Apparently my LCS did order it for me, it was in my stack yesterday. And now, to find time to read and absorb!
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:12 pm

sweet! let me know your thoughts once you do. i've read it once, and i enjoyed it immensely, though i believe another reading or two is in order before it all starts to sink in.

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mbast1 Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:57 pm

freedumbdclxvi wrote:sweet! let me know your thoughts once you do. i've read it once, and i enjoyed it immensely, though i believe another reading or two is in order before it all starts to sink in.

With Morrison's work, you often NEED to read it more than once to get it all. I like that.
I've read some of it before, but at $30 per issue, I wasn't going to get the individual issues too quickly. If I could find them.
Mbast1
Mbast1

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:35 am

that is one of my favorite things about his works, too. i love that every time i reread one of his runs / series, i'm finding something new. after i finish the inc hardcover, i'll be rereading his batman run, and i'm looking forward to seeing what i find this time.

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:55 pm

the first issue of batman inc was amazing. i don't really think the new continuity has affected grant's story thus far (and it seems he may not be acknowledging it), but i'm glad that we're now underway with the endgame. (though i'm also sad that this means the end of grant's involvement with batman is finally beginning.)

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:42 am

The thing is, to me, if a character exists in a shared universe and the continuity of that shared universe has changed, that means that character's continuity has also changed. I'm unable to be selective and judge the story purely as a standalone piece.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by freedumbdclxvi Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:03 pm

i can understand that.

freedumbdclxvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_Vimes Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:50 am

tony ingram wrote:I'm unable to be selective and judge the story purely as a standalone piece.

Well, you shouldn't have to be, should you? That's supposed to be the appeal of serial fiction. Barry Allen from the '60s should be the same Barry Allen today (albeit older) and if he's not, then. . .what's the point? I've never much liked "Elseworlds" stories for that very reason, and since the New 52 is now basically just a line-wide Elseworlds. . .well, I'm much closer to quitting DC Comics than I've ever been.

That little rant aside, Batman Inc. was very good. Almost all of the Batman titles lend themselves well to pretending that the New 52 never happened, and I think we probably have Grant to thank for that. Well, Grant and sales figures, of course.

(Favorite part? Bat Cow. That Damian, he's sure grown on me.)
Sam_Vimes
Sam_Vimes

Back to top Go down

Post by tony ingram Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 am

Sam_Vimes wrote:
tony ingram wrote:I'm unable to be selective and judge the story purely as a standalone piece.

Well, you shouldn't have to be, should you? That's supposed to be the appeal of serial fiction. Barry Allen from the '60s should be the same Barry Allen today (albeit older) and if he's not, then. . .what's the point? I've never much liked "Elseworlds" stories for that very reason
That's exactly how I feel! About the only Elseworlds story I can think of that I actually liked was The Golden Age, and that wasn't originally intended to be an Elseworlds.
tony ingram
tony ingram
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2